Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #1  

Default Hello! Looking for a buddy/tips on low income healthy eating

Hi there! I'm a 22 year old blue-haired chick living in Pennsylvania who's looking to move out to Minnesota for art school next fall (my avatar, if you can even see it, is a self portrait I painted recently!). I'm in a relationship and living with a lovely guy who has been looking for work as a civil engineer since he graduated this summer. Unfortunately, due to my student status and his lack of a professional job, we're both stuck in low income jobs at the moment, so that makes weight loss and dieting a bit of a puzzle for me.

I'm trying to stick to being mostly vegetarian, so I'd appreciate any tips on buying cheap food and some good, healthy recipes! It's kind of a struggle here, as the boyfriend and I are usually on opposing schedules and therefore often settle on fast food/greasy options. Seeing as I'm 250+ lbs, I'd obviously really like to change this and move on to a healthier lifestyle, especially since I'm planning on relocating in about six months. The actual number isn't as important to me as adopting a better lifestyle is, but I'd like to lose about 100 lbs.

I'd really like someone who I can rely on to talk to and message (I generally use Skype messaging) for support/motivation, because I really need a lot of it. My boyfriend is the type who can eat whatever and stay the same weight (grrrr ), so he's not as affected by this stuff and thus will be less willing to change certain habits.

This is really new to me, so I want to do it the right way! Any tips are greatly appreciate.
kiddenkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

If you find a health food store or co-op (which might have a student membership) you can buy food in the bulk section. They have all of the dry goods like beans, grains, and soup mixes. Remember, you can use the beans to make veggie burgers or dips/spreads too.

You said "mostly vegetarian" so I'm assuming you eat meat sometimes? I usually find that in recipes where meat is shredded and combined with other stuff, it goes a lot farther.

Use sale ads! I plan my meals for the week around what's on sale. Also, lots of stores let you add coupons online to their store discount card.

Buy fruits/veggies in season. Also, seek out discount grocery stores like Aldi.
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

Hi, veggies are my best friend right now I just started on my journey a few weeks ago and have fine simple roasted veggies and mushrooms are a favorite. If you dont mind the "processed"foods healthy choice has very yummy meals that are easy to count and prepare. I don't really have friends who need to lose what I do "123 pounds" so I am also looking for motivation buddies but I don't have skype.
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

If you don't like cooking, try microwavable steamer veggies (I like Green Giants) or meals from Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice. I buy a lot of low sodium and/or light soups. Progresso has some great ones. Just watch for sales on these items.

As far as recipes go, look into homemade casseroles made with veggies. Personally, I love zucchini casserole. You could look for Asian recipes, because many of them are vegetarian.

If you're on a budget, warehouse stores (Sam's Club, Costco, etc.) will save you money. Also, look for discount stores like Aldis, Save-a-Lot, and Bottom Dollar Foods.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

If you go the fast food route, actually a lot of places are starting to come around and offer healthier options. It can be a good way to spice up your salad palette cause almost every place offers plenty of different kinds of salads to choose from!

Chick-Fil-A is a go-to for me; they have LOTS of options from grilled chicken sandwiches and nuggets (yes grilled chicken nuggets), salads, fresh fruit cups, wraps (that are basically their salads in wrap-form), and decent soups.

I'm not a cook-type either; I cook when I get in the mood to cook, which is seldom. Another way to sneak in veggies for not a lot of money (that I actually learned from someone on here) is to throw a lean cuisine (or some other lower calorie frozen dinner) over a bed of greens; it's good, healthy, and lower in calories! Go for produce that has a long shelf life, or eat canned and frozen veggies that aren't that expensive. You can eat healthy for less money, you just gotta look and see what's out there.

BTW: my mom found this out recently, store brand whole-wheat bread is often only 50-60cal a slice, and is often made by the same people who make name-brand breads like Nature's Own and Sara Lee. Lower price, same calorie/nutrition value as the more expensive brands!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW: 260 Restart: 230/223/223.8

Height: 5'6

kiddenkat- I completely understand where your coming from, I'm in the same boat my fiance and I are in school and I am working a retail job. I also understand where your coming from about him eating whatever he wants, and You wanting to eat healthy that is the biggest reason I don't cook too often, his fav's are my triggers. Yes I do have skype.
Brandibooxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

If I was you, I'd look around in the shoestring meals section. Anything written by Kaplods is a winner. She started her journey with a food budget of $25 for two people a week. Mostly you'll be working with a lot of beans, veggies and what not. I've seen some great posts by a few people. One girl makes her own yogurt and bread to cut costs. I buy a lot of frozen veggies. Good luck! You can do this!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

I'm pretty strictly veggie, and I find in a lot of ways it can be cheaper than eating meat, especially when eating out. I frequently will make large quantities of something like quinoa chili or a coconut milk-based curry, put most of it in a tupperware container before I sit down to eat (this is key, otherwise I overeat) and then I don't have to think about cooking again for days. I'm also a huge fan of the steamer bags of veggies you can buy at the store (especially those that are marked down because they're about to go off)- the whole thing is a minuscule amount of calories, but filling and healthy.
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #9  
Lok'tar Ogar!

S/C/G: 248.6/ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Hey there! You're always welcome to add me on Skype (caboosegirl is my username I believe or you can find my by my email address [email protected]).

I just started a relationship with a ridiculously skinny mini guy who can eat whatever he wants and be tiny! Admittedly, it's made me a bit self conscious but I'm working to lose the rest of my weight. I'm 20 (almost 21 woo!) and also a full time college student, so I understand trying to lose weight on a tight budget. Most of my meals consist of microwaveable stuff (when they're on sale!) and easy meals I can make at home (spaghetti, tacos, etc) but in portion controlled sizes.
Soft Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

I'm in a similar boat: 23yr old, full-time college student this fall, living with my fiancé. (Except he fluctates with his weight & loses pounds seemlessly.) PM for Skype name :-)
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Well once you see the cost of eating out you maybe able to apply tha money to your food budget, frozen veggies are great and think about preparing your food in bulk so you can heat up in a microwave at school and welcome
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

This is a great thread! Glad I found it! I too am in a low income situation (university student, who already lives on welfare with no working parents) and it's extremely hard to keep motivated when you are limited by money. Keep your hopes high! I usually just buy whatever fruits and veggies are on sale, and drink loads of water. Go to deli's and smaller markets as they usually are cheaper. I don't really have any other advice Good luck!

EDIT: I haven't done this myself, but you could also try growing your own veggies Worth a shot!

Last edited by spiritualflow; 04-20-2013 at 09:59 PM.
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #13  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Most farmers markets are amazing for cheap fruits and veggies.
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #14  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I would second whoever recommended Aldi, that's where I do most of my grocery shopping now. They offer really low prices because they have smaller selections & only hire a few employees who do everything the store needs. Like I say, there is less variety, but they do have amazingly cheap produce (like $1 for a container of berries!) in comparison to Cub, Rainbow, Target etc. What's on sale rotates every week, so I just go once a week and pick up whatever's on sale.

I don't know whether Aldi is in Pennsylvania, but it definitely does here in Minnesota. (I actually live right next to an art school, it'd be funny if you were moving in my neighborhood, the Aldi is three blocks away from me!)
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote