Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

Default First date...

Maybe this is a silly question and i have nothing to worry about lol. I met him online, and we are planning to meet this week. But OK...we've talked about how much we both LOVE Italian, we've talked about a lot of stuff but I haven't mentioned my weight loss stuff (maybe I should have...I thought about it, but I didn't...). But I can't eat Italian right now...maybe I'll just come out and suggest a place before he can... I don't want to come out seeming as if I'm this health nut, order a salad and break out my travel scale and my own personal salad dressing I usually bring when eating out (yeah, one meal of possibly eating an extra ounce of protein won't kill me), I don't want to scare him away lol. But I also don't want to kick myself out of ketosis...if this goes well, I also don't want it to seem like I'm hiding anything, because it's nothing to be ashamed of. Do I tell him I'm on a crazy strict diet and lost 30 pounds? Do you talk about stuff like that on a first date?

Last edited by Andi24; 06-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #2  

You're going on a date. It's ok to not worry about what you're eating for that evening as long as you make healthy choices.
Shaunalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #3  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

You can always order something that's a non-salad and eat just a little of it... if you're very anxious about ordering a salad. But a salad is pretty fair game; I doubt he'd judge you for it :P

Also, good luck on your date!

Last edited by wtfudge; 06-23-2013 at 04:10 PM.
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

If a salad is the best thing for you on the menu, then order that salad! (... but maybe leave the travel scale at home.) Being proactive and suggesting a place that would be diet friendly to you is a good idea too. But even if he beats you to the punch and suggest Italian, don't worry about not getting pasta if you want to stick to your plan. If he's in to you he won't care about what diet you're on.

I don't bring up the fact that I'm calorie counting with dates, but there aren't any foods that are off limits as long as they fit in my daily budget. Maybe try to casually drop it into conversation if health or food/lifestyle choices come up. That way you get to be up front with him, and it doesn't seem like you're hiding it, but its casual so he doesn't get the impression that you're a health nut.

Either way have fun!
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #5  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

I've found that I can find something on-plan at almost any restaurant. You may have to ask for some modifications, but I don't necessarily think you have to fill your date in on all the details, at least not on the first date . Have fun!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Another thought, as an alternative to the travel scale, is to try to pick a chain restaurant where you can easily access their nutrition information online. Just be sure to watch serving sizes.

Good luck and have fun!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I love my travel scale as much as the next man. I also had a mad Italian meal last week. Just watch the portion sizes and you will be good. Skip dessert. And no pizza or just a slice. Keep to salad if you can (I could not).

Mostly, have fun! That's what this whole journey is about.

Last edited by IanG; 06-23-2013 at 09:42 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #8  
sugar is the devil

How about doing a date that's NOT food related! Go for a walk to the park or beach, bowling, mini-golf, or something else that's just as cheesey.

If he gets past Date 1, maybe on Date 2 you can open up about being restricted with food and may have to find a restaurant where there's food options for you.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks everyone! I guess I've just always been SUPER self conscious about my appearance, and now...well, I'm finally more comfortable in my own skin, but I still worry about what people think. Anyway I suggested Applebees because it's easy to eat healthy there, without it being blatantly obvious. If I had thought about mini golfing or something yesterday I totally would have suggested that though!
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

My suggestion is to be honest. Being in control of yourself will show your responsible side and I think any great guy will admire your dedication. I'd suggest telling him you adore Italian, but you're not necessarily sure you want to indulge in that type of meal yet. Try to suggest place where you can get a lean meat option so you don't have to fall back on the salad option. When I go out I always get the salmon. Don't be afraid to be secure in what you order - for instance requesting a healthier option. After all a date shouldn't hinder your success!
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Applebee's is perfect because you can decide what you want beforehand. And I would just be honest (if he asks, but I doubt he will) and say you are very strict about eating healthy. You don't have to say why. I don't think it's a shocking thing to say to someone you don't know very well. Most people are pretty conscious about their health nowadays.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote