Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 10:58 PM   #1  

Has anyone tried out Curves? I just joined (completed my 2nd workout today). I've seen a lot of success stories and was wondering if anyone out there had any info/advice. I like the circuit but have seen no emphasis on proper form, warm up, or cool down. I know a decent amount about these things and know how important they are (due to my degree as well as classes I took in college). I think this program will be good for me but worry about the people who walk in off the street and begin exercising w/o any warmup (as far as I can tell). I'd appreciate any info that you all may have. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2001, 04:17 PM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hi there!

Sorry I didn't see your topic until today!

I am a Curves mini success story. I joined on Nov. 29, 2000, when they first opened in our town. I have lost 9.5 pounds and 7.5 inches since then, and I am very pleased with my results.

As for the safety aspect, our Curves is very good about teaching proper form (they're always watching! ) and cool down is emphasized as well. For warmup, they simply recommend that you "take it easy" for the first few stations. I guess it probably varies from franchise to franchise. Anyway, both the staff and the patrons are watching themselves, and if the staff member doesn't catch someone doing something wrong, usually the other patrons will.

Anyway, I love my Curves. Perhaps there's another one near you that has better staffing?

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2001, 04:45 PM   #3  

I work out at Women's Workout World. I too know a lot about fitness & form, etc. I chose it over Bally's, Powerhouse, and Crunch for the reasonable membership rates and because I don't feel like I have to be little miss cutsie when I go to workout. Anyway I have never heard of Curves, but I just wanted to address what you were saying about the lack of supervision regarding form and warmups and things of that nature. I've noticed it in the club I go to also, I divide my workout time between taking an aerobics/step/kickbox class and free weights/weight machines/abs. The class instructors I have are really great and they emphasize proper form and everything, but some of the "personal trainers" which I don't use myself but see others using are not consistent. The only thing you yourself can do is either express your concerns to the staff or help other members out. Sometimes it's a good way to get to know the other people your working out with. Obviously if you decide to point things out to another member you want to do it in the least critical way possible, try and be encouraging at the same time. -chubs2
Closed Thread