Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:23 PM   #31  

Fitbabe, I have the same problem, I hate diet sodas, especially diet pepsi and coke. I suggest as far as diet sodas go, try diet rite and diet 7up, those have been the least offensive that I have found.

A great drink that I do like is crystal light lemonade flavor with just a splash of low-cal cranberry juice. The juice gives it a little kick but it still turns out to be only like 10 calories per glass. I love it - only problem is it isn't very easy to take with you to work unless you have a big fridge where you can store a pitcher. Good luck and keep posting! If you find a good diet drink, please share, there are a bunch of us with soda addictions on this board!

Krista

PS where in california are you? I'm orange county.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:34 PM   #32  
Exercise Vidiot

Krista -- Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely give it a try! I'm from Dana Point, but I'm in Virginia right now for grad school. I'll be back there permanently in June and I can't wait! I need sun!!!
Old 03-28-2001, 11:29 PM   #33  

It has been sunny and 70's here, wonderful! Although I was in Phoenix last weekend and the 90 degree weather felt SO good that this feels too cold to me!

Hope Virginia isn't too bad now...I lived in Roslyn during the winter of 98...love it back there but California is home-
Old 03-29-2001, 07:42 AM   #34  

Exclamation New to Forum

I have been trying to find a strategy to tackle my weight problem. I have never been slim. Growing up my parents yakked to me about loosing weight but never did fun active things with me to get me off my tush and out there. I have been saying since I was young that I'm gonna loose it but here I am bigger than ever. The key for me is activity and getting lots of it without spending money I don't have joining a gym, or investing in a new sport to try. I've started walking for a half hour several times a week but would really do well to do it twice a day. I can't see how doing it 3 times a week is going to beat this bulge. I am 180 cm (5' 11") and I am not sure of my exact weight... but I would guess it's around 114 kg. but may be more than that. I'm almost 25 and if I don't get control of my lifestyle now I may be faced with serious health problems in the near future. Everything else I do in my life is easy there fore I seem to avoid anything that's hard... and lets face it loosing weight is hard. It has taken me this long to figure out why I don't do. I just hope that now I have figured it out I am going to do something about and become a success story!

Last edited by slimmer_me; 03-29-2001 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:04 AM   #35  

I haven't had time to check in recently, glad to see some new people. Welcome fit babe and slimmer me!
I'm coming to the end of the 4th week of the Self Challenge, how are the rest of you doing? Overall I'm feeling like I need a boost, maybe kick my workouts up a notch. I've gotten much better with my portion control, but I almost feel like a daily log of what I eat now makes me more focused on food than I was before. Keep up the good work everyone! Thanks for listening, chubs2

Last edited by chubs2; 04-02-2001 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2001, 09:53 PM   #36  

Default Hey All!

hello...i am new to this forum and looking for support and tips from anyone and everyone. i am looking to lose 150 lbs by my june 16, 2003, wedding date. now...i realize that is over 2 years away right now, but i think it will go by very fast for me...a lot to plan and all. i am also going to florida for the first time in almost 10 years in january of 2002. i would like to look at least fit rather than frumpy. i am only 23 years old for crying out loud. i have been overweight ever since 8th grade, and have tired many weight loss plans. but with no will power and no support i found it very difficult. by reading some of your posts i am hoping that i found the right place for support.
Old 04-09-2001, 11:05 AM   #37  

It's Monday again, why are the weeks so hard to start? I've noticed that there hasn't been much traffic since the end of March so princessphoebe, krista a, ressey, just me I hope you all are doing well and are continuing to meet your goals. I've actually had trouble accessing this site lately, but here I am. Welcome to all of you who are just joining. This is a good place for support and advice. My best advice to anyone who is just starting is as much as we'd like to find the magic pill to shed our unwanted pounds the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to exercise and eat right and keep it up. Some of us have years of bad eating to undo and it won't happen overnight. That's why weightloss is a tough thing because you don't see big results right away. So I've learned to curb the disappointment of slow results with seeing the little things, like how clothes begin to fit differently or seeing muscles you didn't have before. That's why this forum is so great, we're all pretty much in the same boat. And when you need encouragement I've always been able to take something someone else has written and learn from it. So stay motivated and keep checking in. Thanks for listening-chubs2
Old 04-09-2001, 07:57 PM   #38  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Hello

Hey,

I think I was on here for a while but quit...I was busy with another thread but pretty much got kicked off! Long story!

So, if you guys who are here are willing to try to keep this thread going, I'm willing to try also!

I'm 22, college student....work full time...am fat, of course! Ha! Anyway, my short term goal is to get under 200lbs by Easter...which is coming up really quickly!

Maybe we can let each other know what type of diet plan, if any we're following. I was a WW member last year, but I'm not doing it now. I've started this for about 3 weeks now. I am keeping points and portions in mind though, in my mostly vegetarian diet. I try to exercise every day...e.g., I went out to the track on Saturday morning for an hour, jogging and walking...usually I go to the gym and use an elliptical trainer for 30-45 minutes at a fast pace, and I just bought some dumbells to work on my arms at home.

What do you guys do? Hope to hear from SOMEbody!
Old 04-10-2001, 12:12 PM   #39  

Girlie-I don't follow a specific diet, I combine good tools I've found to work for me. Monday through Friday I limit myself to around 40-50 grams of fat a day which I split between 3 meals and 2 snacks. They say the average persons fat intake should be 60 grams a day since I'm trying to lose weight I cut mine. And I don't cheat, anything I'm tempted by I eat on Saturday which is my day to eat what I want. It's helped me not to feel so guilty about food. Right now I'm following the Self challenge from the magazine/web site and am in the fifth week, with a the daily meal planner I am getting much better with controlling my portions. I go to a gym called Woman's Workout World, after work everyday Monday through Friday and i usually take whatever the 5:30 class is it varies from kickboxing to step/aerobics I do that for an hour. I do weight training but since I'm trying to streamline my muscles and replace bulk with lean, I keep my reps high but weight low. On days when I have to work late I do a pilates video, I'm not sure if you've heard of that technique, basically it's a stretching ab routine dancers use. I'm not very flexible so it's comical, but I feel the workout, believe me. Right now I'm working through a plateau period where the scale isn't moving, but I'm seeing my body parts change slowly which I like. Thanks for listening-chubs2
Old 04-10-2001, 04:56 PM   #40  

Glad to see this thread is up and running again! I mean that people are back. Let's see, my diet and exercise plan is non-existent right now, I am working 2 demanding jobs so I've pretty much given up any hope of sticking to a plan until June when I finish student teaching. I am trying to take little steps, for me the biggest one lately is that I gave up Coke! It has officially been a week since my last coke and I am so proud of myself. I'm drinking tons of iced tea and water and so far I seem to be doing fine with that. Now if I could just stop pigging out on all the cookies people bring to work every day I would be fine!

Krista
Old 04-10-2001, 04:58 PM   #41  

Oh, chubs2- I forgot to ask in my last post, which pilates video do you have? Do you like it? I was planning to take a pilates class this summer but it might be easier to start with a video if you can recommend a good one. My piano teacher also teaches pilates and he can't say enough good things about it so I thought I'd try...
Old 04-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #42  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Hi Girls!

Chubs2:
It sounds like you're on a good plan. I don't follow a prescribed plan either...I eat mostly vegetarian and do some sort of exercise at least every day.

I had my first really bad day today...the first since I've started, but I think I'm doing okay under the circumstances. I'm getting freaked out because I visit my mom in PA next week. I haven't seen her in a year, and I weigh more now than I did last year...about 6 pounds more, and she really, really got on my case about it and made me feel bad. I lost weight after I saw her, but gained it back after a rough move out of my father's house and into my own...plus 20lbs more! So, here I am...my mom is really going to get on me. She's 4'11 and about 115lbs, size 3/4...I wish she could have seen me a few weeks ago..she'd tell me that I'm doing well and wouldn't chastize me! Oh well..maybe her nagging will make me work even harder.

Krista:
Wow...good for you about the Coke! If there's one thing I try not to do, is drink beverages with a lot of calories, like sodas and sweet juices...it's sort of a waste to me. Except for soymilk that is...I give myself permission to have 16-20 oz of diet soda a day, and water for the rest (even though it's still hard for me to drink a lot of water).

Well, gotta get some homework done for class tomorrow!Glad to hear from you ladies! Hope things are going well!
Old 04-10-2001, 08:43 PM   #43  

Default Hey girls---

I am still alive but in the middle of the worst examination period of my academic life. I haven't even really looked around that much. Hope all are doing well. I have just been stress eating and not exercising--the good thing is that I flutter and fret so much, that I haven't gained any of the weight back. I really need to get back on track. I even toyed with the idea of fad dieting, but thankfully talked myself outta it. I plan on being back to my old self by the 18th of April, when all this is said and done.

Good to hear from ya'll, and welcome new people. I will be around, just being a silent stressed-freak right now.

Old 04-11-2001, 03:52 AM   #44  

Default hey hey hey

hey all its been a while i know!
i hope everyone is doing fine! i've lost some weight my pants hardly stay on anymore... which is one of the best feeling in the world! annoying because i have to constantly pull them up.. but it makes me smile everytime i do!
my friends are like buy new pants... part of me doesn't want to.. not just yet... i like the pulling them up.. but hopefully.. they won't be falling off comepletely that would be embarrassing!
but these pants that were fit just right now.. i can pull on them.. and there is about 4 inches of space!!! i feel fabulous!!!
best of luck to all u all!!!
Old 04-11-2001, 11:02 AM   #45  

Hey everybody, seems like everyone is very busy now and that's usually when it's the hardest to stay on schedule and the easiest time to grab bad food, so hang in there everybody. These are a few of the things I do to get through, when I can't make my regular trip to the gym I fit spot exercises into my day, everybody stops for bathroom breaks so everytime I'd stop I'd take an extra two minutes to do a couple sets of stretches or squats or standing pushups leaning against a wall. As for the food dilemma, I just don't cheat, it was hard at first (very hard!!), there are always snacks out at my job, but I realized I wanted to change my body way more than I wanted that cookie. Over time it gets easier (really, it does). And then you start to see results like princess phoebe just wrote about, congratulations girl, isn't that close to one of the best feelings in the world? Finally seeing your work pay off, that's what we're all working towards, the journey is long and hard, but it's worth it!

Krista-I can't remember offhand which video I have I'm writing myself I note to check when I get home, but I do like it. The pilates classes around Chicago are just too expensive and they don't have any at the club I work out at. It's tough at first, but the woman on my tape is very encouraging and addresses all levels of participants.

Thanks for listening-chubs2
Closed Thread