Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #1  

Default Losing weight for pregnancy

Well this is partly and intro, partly looking to connect.
I'm 22, my husband is 23. He is in the US Army and we live overseas. Last year I lost 30 pounds when my husband was at basic training. Gained it all back once we moved in together. So I'm right back where I started.

We have been trying to get pregnant since August of last year. I had a chemical pregnancy last month (after 6 months of trying) and that went south. It really put into perspective how much we want a baby, but how much healthy means.

Husband doesn't think my weight is a problem with getting pregnant, but I'm convinced it is. I am happy with me and they way I look, and he is too. But we want to have a baby and it might be silly but I think it's because I'm fat that pregnancy didn't sustain. Nevertheless, I could be healthier and want a healthy environment for a baby anyways. I don't really have the support of my husband, he's just too relaxed and doesn't care much if I lose weight or not because he just loves me. He really takes care of me and loves me for who I am. Don't get me wrong, he is definitely attracted to me but even when I lost weight last year, he wasn't any more impressed. I'm okay with this, it doesn't mean he doesn't love me, it just means that he doesn't need me to look a certain way to be attracted to me. I don't want him to be so attracted to my body as much as me anyways.

My action plan is eating healthy, with one cheat meal a week. I'm going to exercise 30 minutes in the am before work, and a long walk in the pm, after work for a stress reliever. I'm also going to stick to as much a vegetarian diet as I can. I'm not a vegetarian but I acknowledge the health benefits of doing so. Such as replacing beef, with beef substitute being much lower in fat and cholesterol.

I'd love to connect with anyone losing weight for pregnancy.
goldengirlamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm not losing weight for pregnancy, or from pregnancy for that matter, but I thought I'd say hi anyway. So...hi! Welcome to 3FC
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/215.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi, and welcome to 3fc!

Although we aren't planning for pregnancy within the next year, my weight loss is definitely directly related to the fact that I want to be healthier when I do get pregnant. A lot of people tell me I'm silly when I say that part of the reason I want to lose weight is so that I can get pregnant at a healthy weight. It is definitely important to me that I look and feel good before the pregnancy because I don't want to be right back where I started after the pregnancy is complete. I joined weight watchers so that I could get my portions in order and develop a better lifestyle. I really love weight watchers even though it's only been a couple of months. Are you following any other plans other than staying towards the vegetarian side of things?
lrgemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/164/132

Height: 5'5

I'm doing it for pregnancy. My husband and I decided to wait, but the waiting has been hard for me, so part of what i had been doing to pass the time is research about preganancy and babies, etc. Well, the more I read abut it the more I learned how important it is to be at a healthy weight during pregnancy. The benefits start from the development of the fetus, continue through healhty delivery and end with the weight of your child in adulthood depending on the weight of the mother during pregnancy. Once I realized how far reaching the concequences of my weight are on pregnancy and my future children, that coupled with the strong desire to look cute in maternity clothing I decided to get serius about it. So here I am six months later and 46 pounds lighter, with still another half a year to go, feeling excited about my progress!

You don't sound silly! I'm sure you had already gone to the doctor, but if not, you should definitely pay him a visit to make sure there isn't anything else going on, but if not, then loosing a few pounds might be good for the cause. I wish you lots of luck in your persuit of a baby.
1yr2mkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone! One of my motivators was realizing that you don't get much of a baby bump when you are plus size to begin with and that kind of made me sad. I don't want to just look fat when I am pregnant. It's a beautiful uncomfortable time and the last thing I want is to feel ugly on top of that. Also i equate child birth to running a marathon. So if I am in shape to begin with, the easier that will be.

I'm mostly counting calories and limiting the amount of meat I'm eating. I have been to the doctor and had blood work done, and my cholesteral is a bit on the high side for my age, so I'm trying to cut down on meat and fats a little to help with that! I'm just trying to make healthy habits now, to have a healthy pregnancy someday! We aren't preventing against it, so I'm just hoping it happens as I try to lose weight, which it likely will.
goldengirlamy is offline   Reply With Quote