Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/215.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Default What keeps you motivated?

I'm having a bad night.

My boyfriend was upset with me that I skipped my run with my running club again. To be honest, I went on vacation at the beginning of the month and haven't gone since, but it was really upsetting to hear how much he cared about it. I work full time, and go to school full time. He says I work so hard at everything else and then never focus or spend any time on my health. Unfortunately he's right. When it comes to every other aspect of my life, I excel. I never quit anything, except exercise. I feel much better running with a group, because I hate running alone. But then run night will come, and its just so much easier to stay home. Even though I know I like running with a group, I don't have the motivation to get there to start it.

Anyways, now that I've ranted, do you guys have anything you do to keep you motivated to get your exercise in?
lrgemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #2  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Some days I have no clue what keeps me going. For most days though, I have vain reasons(like how nice I will/do look) and yeah yeah there are health reasons too.

Overall, I just feel committed to running and exercising. I think commitment is key.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #3  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I don't always stay motivated; I just do it anyway. It does get easier, and I'm at the point now where I want to go run more than I don't want to. I'm recovering from illness right now, and it's killing me not to run.

3 things help me. 1 - I know I'll regret it and be mad at myself if I give in to the urge to skip my planned run. I've yet to regret going even when I don't feel like it. In fact, it's a huge self esteem boost to know I did it anyway. 2 - I'm very public about my running and goals. I use runkeeper and have it set to post to facebook, so my friends can help keep me accountable. If they don't see my run posts, they are supposed to pester me about it. 3 - I am signing up for at least a 5k each month. That gives me a more immediate goal to work towards, and I can try to beat my time each race. Combining 2-3, everyone knows I'm running the Princess Half in Feb. I'm going to be sharing my bib number and everything, so they can track me while I run it, if they want. That means if I can't keep pace and get swept, everyone will know. I can't have that!
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #4  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

The fear of self-disappointment.

I have had so many things bad happen to me in the last year, and some good things, but LOTS of crazy sh!it and I need a win.

Losing weight is my win. And every time I loose a pound, its a little win.

Oh and the fact that I want to get pregnant soon, heavy women have harder pregnancys
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

ALL OF MY CLOTHES...

It may sound vain, but I'm a fashionista...well, most days. I have a strong sense of my own style & I stick out, in a good way. I've invested a lot of money & time into being unique. Expensive clothes, cheap clothes, alterations, accessories...& most are catered to my now smaller size. If I were to gain back my weight, even though it's only about 30lbs, I'd not only have to buy more clothes(an inconvenience & cost) but I wouldn't be able to utilize the wonderful wardrobe I have now.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I work out every other day, so I just tell myself 'I just need to work out today and then I don't have to tomorrow!' It probably sounds silly, but that works for me a lot of the time.

Sometimes you gotta just do it.

Because if you don't, you won't be feeling healthy like you have been, you won't be moving down into smaller close sizes.

How is your eating? Losing weight is mostly diet, then exercise. Eating well will make you thin, exercise will make you look good.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

My current body...An hourglass figure poped out of my fat, and I think it looks killer, even if its not perfect, and I don't want to lose that figure

And I honestly just feel better when I excerise. Like I'm doing something right.

Just remember, all those workouts don't seem like their doing much by themselves, but collectivally, its making a big difference in toning and shaping your body, as well as helping weightloss..
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i tell myself that, if i skip workouts and end up dropping them altogether, that it will make all those workouts that i DID DO pointless...i've worked SO hard at the gym to just give up on myself

i tell myself that i WILL NOT go back to looking the way i did before, before i lost weight

i tell myself that i just have to GO to the gym...no promises on what will happen once i get there, just get my stuff together and go...that once i get on the treadmill i can decide what i'm gonna do...i give myself permission to just walk at a slow pace if i want to....and usually i'll end up doing some running, or some HIIT, or sometimes listening to my body say "No Way" to running and i will walk at a fast pace and incline for an hour instead...but JUST GO, and once i'm there habit mostly kicks in for me
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

How I feel.

Lifting heavy has made me strong, fit, and healthy. I LOVE how easy it is for me to be physically active when just a year and a half ago I would get winded going up the stairs or carrying something heavy a short distance.

I love how I look too, but it's secondary to all I can do physically. Well...I also got rid of 90% of my old clothes and bought wayyyy too many new ones! I need to mantain so I have something to wear!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #10  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

My biggest motivation is just knowing how awesome I'll feel after finishing a workout. I also remind myself how tough it is getting back to the gym after missing a few days.

While I'm at the gym and time is slow going on the treadmill or elliptical, I visualize myself at an upcoming event and how great I want to look (the next event for me is my best friend's wedding. It's 7 weeks from today and I would LOVE to drop 7-10 lbs by then and rock my maid of honor dress). That keeps me going.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

What keeps me motivated from day to day is thinking of the feeling I'll get when I step on the scale and hopefully see a new lower number on it. Oh gosh it's such a great feeling to me! I know the number on there is not everything but it let's me know I'm making progress. I think of what I didn't eat and resisted and I feel so proud that made a difference. That's usually the biggest thing that keeps me going an keeps me away from junk food
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #12  

Height: 5'1

So many different things has giving me bursts of motivation. The latest was during the week when I saw a fluke weight of 129lbs due to the lack of food because I had a stomach bug and wasn't eating. I knew it would be a fluke and once I started eating normally again, I would be back the same weight (132 at the time) before I was sick. It made me realise how little I've to go to get into the 120s. I never truly thought about it. I usually just try to work of one pound at a time! It's just random things like this that make me want to keep on going.

Everyone has the own motivation. Something a friend was mentioning during a discussion this week was setting small goals and work towards them. If you've an overall goal, you might just feel like it's too far away and give up! Have small goals to work towards. For myself, mine are weight related. But they don't have to be. So, you say you run. How often do you run with your club? Once a week? Twice a week? If you set yourself a goal of going running with your club for say four weeks in a row, you can get a little treat! You could work out these treats with your boyfriend and maybe suggest to him that if you do, he can take you from a romantic meal. Or another suggestion for a treat could be a spa day. Just a small treat that is a reward for the hard work you have put in. I've seen a lot of people around the forum do treats like this when they reach mini goals and I do believe having mini goals really helps with not giving up.

I would like to also say that you've just seemed to hit a slump - which we all have! I've had around three slumps since I started in June. My most recent one was when I went back to college in September, I struggled to stick to my exercise plan and it wasn't until the end of last month when I got the motivation to get back on track! Also, look how far you have come! You are doing excellent. Keep on going!

You can do this, just believe in yourself!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #13  

Height: 5'2"

right now it's mostly a bikini ready body. i'm going on vacation in exactly 30 days. i'm not gonna be anywhere near where i want to be, but i will not let it ruin my time. maybe i'll get some great "before" pictures out of it. i photograph so FAT, so i'll know that i've "made it" when i can get my picture taken at any angle, any time and not look like an overstuffed sausage.

after vacay my main inspiration will still be looking great in a swimsuit for summer. vain, i know. i will still love all the added benefits of feeling and being strong, but honestly... how i look is basically what it is for me.

Last edited by valalltogether; 11-25-2012 at 02:43 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

Weight loss will open more opportunities and paths for me. Nothing's going on in my life right now and this is the most selfless act I've ever done for myself my entire life so yeah...I can't go back to my old self. No way I'm giving up.
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #15  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

I have managed to turn exercise into a positive thing because I feel like the gym is a safe place that I go with my friends to feel good about myself and I always leave happy. I this is because I don't push myself too hard. It's not like i'm lazy but if I'm feeling depressed that day i'll do a slow walk for 1/2 hr on the elliptical, if I'm just in the mood to zone out i'll do a weight class, If I'm feeling really good I'll do step or Zumba. I never tell myself "this is the workout you have to do" because as long as i'm active for 1/2 hr every day I am helping my weight loss. Maybe make a new playlist or pick a new trail to run? Or maybe you love running but need to mix up your workouts? Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck!!
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote