Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #1  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Default Smartphones

I hope you all don't mind me asking a non-weight loss related question.

Does anyone have an iphone 5, razr hd, or galaxy s3 - or have an opinion on them? I am trying to pick out a new phone and I would like some advice. I have never had a smartphone before, but I pick up on tech things pretty easily. I just want it to do the simple things well. The things I care about are reception and call quality, photos, maps/directions, will make it through a day battery-wise, and texting. I don't have any other apple products other than an ipod touch that I don't frequently use and an ipod shuffle that I run with. I don't really have an apple vs android preference. I am looking forward to using some of the helpful apps for exercising, tracking, and dieting. I guess I just don't know how to choose between the three options. I have Verizon.

Thanks!
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I have an iphone and love it.

Your reception will be based on your provider - not your phone. The iphone takes stellar pictures and I always use the maps app. Battery wise it does pretty good - if I'm going nuts on my phone one day I do charge it mid day.

I have ton of fitness/tracking apps, but honestly, most of the smart phones have the same apps.

I'd go into a store and play around with them and see which one you like the feel of the best.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Yea I cannot decide between the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy S3. I have the old Evo now but its time for an upgrade and I always wanted an iPhone...but the Galaxy is really cool too! Decisions....decisions...Gatorgirl let us know what you get!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I have an iphone4 and LOVE it!!! My husband got the razor and he LOVES his.....but its huge lol. His is more customizeable and both have equally awesome apps and interface, so I'm sure either route you go you will be happy with
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm brand new to smartphones. I had resisted because it seemed like everyone I know who had one was mad at theirs while I was rarely annoyed with my plain old phone. But the beau finally talked me into on and I now have a Galaxy Skyrocket. Guessing it might be part of the s3 family that you asked about as the picture I found on line looks the same. I really like this phone so far but it's so thin that it's easy to have it escape my hand or purse so a case will be my next purchase.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #6  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

i work in the tech industry- while the androids are much more customizable you have to be a complete techie to do so, and really want to do so- do you?

i have an iphone 4s (which is slightly bigger then the 5) - to me, androids are far too large and are more like a tablet. heck, i don't even have pockets big enough for those phones.

but then again, i am an apple user and own a macbook, an iphone and a shuffle so they all "talk" to each other which is helpful.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #7  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

stimkovs - I agree that the size of the android phones can be annoying, but I bet that is something you get accustomed to very quickly. I don't have any other apple products to sway me in that direction. I am a little put off by not being able to view flash player or pdf's on an iphone. Also, on Verizon's iphones, you can't use the web and be on the phone at the same time. I know there are pros to the iphone, but those are the cons. I do like its design and its camera.

Blcarter - does your husband have the razr or the new razr hd? Does it take ok pictures? I was leaning toward the razr hd, but someone told me it's camera isn't that good...

Thanks everyone for your input. I am just having a hard time deciding. It doesn't seem clear cut to me and its something I will have to be happy with for 2 years.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #8  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I used to own an iPhone 3GS then upgraded to the iPhone 4, I loved my phone very much and it got beat up a lot. The good thing about the iPhone was that when the screen cracked I was able to buy a replacement for less than $60 from eBay and have it fixed, I know it voided my warranty but I knew someone who was a wiz with iPhones so it was worth it for me.

Unfortunately, my iPhone 4 finally bit the big one in a cup of soup(long and frustrating story) just as the pre order where being taken for the iPhone 5, I couldn't wait the week for the phone so I bought a Galaxy S3. I got used to it really quickly and I haven't looked back yes the phones are a bit on the big side but it's something that I haven't had an issue with I can fit it in all of my pants pockets and easily find it in my purse and the camera takes great quality photos. I still like apple products but was a bit frustrated with them being on the smaller end of the screen size.

Personally I recommend you go down to your carrier and play around with the phones try out the features that are most important to you and see which one you like best.

Edited to add: The Samsung phones at least the Galaxy S3 and the Note do not use flash player anymore. To view files on an iPhone you can use the Kindle app.

Last edited by NiteOwlMommy; 10-31-2012 at 03:33 AM.
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Like another said, I use the iPhone because my husband and I have Macbooks, all the computers at school are Macs as well. Plus, I like using iMessage instead of SMS. It seems a little faster and it cuts down on actual text messages sent. Since everyone we know has iPhones and iMessage, we're considering doing away with our unlimited shared texting plan to save money.

And yes, parts for the iPhone are ridiculously cheap and easy to fix. My two year old daughter has thrown (oh the horror!) my husband's phone twice. The screen was ridiculously shattered. For the 3GS, we practically rebuilt it with all new parts (except electronics) for $15. I don't know how to do that with any other phone, which scares the crap out of me.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 10-31-2012 at 05:49 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

LOL i have the first samsung galaxy still..and before that i had a flip phone! it does mostly everything i need it to. i like the screen size on it, too. i never put phones in my pocket anyhow (always in purse), so size wasn't a big issue for me.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote