Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #16  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Pepino, it might not just be the alcohol, if he is working out HARD he might 1 not be eating enough or his level of exercise and/or 2 gaining muscle. Most men gain muscle HELLA fast and when they pump like that before first LOSING weight they tend to not lose just like women.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I stopped drinking anything other than water when I cut sugar, so that includes alcohol. I find that I have to have at least four drinks to even get a buzz and the carbs (because I don't do shots) are simply not worth it to me to have that experience even occasionally. But drinking was not a huge part of my social life to begin with so it wasn't a huge sacrifice.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 188.2/tracker/155

Height: 5'5"

I honestly have the same problem. I am in college and drink just about every weekend, and I have come to realization that I don't have the will power to stop, so instead I try to stick to things that don't have so many calories. I feel better about myself if I mix my drink just with diet pop and liquor instead of drinking a light beer. I know I am probably just making excuses, but it is such a huge part of my social life it would be very difficult for me to cut out.
Sarah1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #19  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Gah, I miss drinking! I've cut out a lot of it since my friends who I used to get drunk with have ceased to get married and have families and for weight loss, but I miss it! I remember I posted about this a while back in the weight loss support thread and I felt like I was being judged, too.

I love alcohol, of all kinds, and if I want to go out to the bar or go out to the Mexican restaurant and split a beer/margarita pitcher, then I feel like I ought to be able to do that. Of course, not every weekend or to excess, but my monthly "wild night" really hasn't hindered my progress that much. I've still lost close to 60lbs since the end of January/beginning of February, so I think I'll be okay!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 168/121/112

Height: 5"2

My problem isnt the actual drinking part, its the kebabs, pizzas, burgers, any type of food I can get my hands on, on the way home after

And also the next day I have a 'don't care' attitude to my diet which I put to alcohol still being in my system.

Oh how I miss drinking!!!
prillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Originally I cut alcohol out of my diet because I would end up drinking too much and then I would start snacking. I get really bad munchies when I drink. I'm quite shy, and I find I don't enjoy myself when I go out sober. I decided to just drink when I go out, but limit it to only once or twice a month. I tend to gain a lot of water weight but it comes off quickly enough. I still get kind of anxious about going out though. I've got a party this Friday and I really want to keep my eating under control. Because I don't drink very often I rarely go above 4 drinks, but I end up binge eating.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/177/150

Default Quit Drinkig

I quit drinking recently, and I know it is helping me eat less. I think that partying and eating has been my major down fall.

It's been almost three months since I stopped drinking, and I have to say, I love it. People have started to identify myself as someone who doesn't consume alcohol, and I enjoy that.

It's an identity change, and that is what is so hard about it.

After I stopped drinking, I learned I was a lot more fun in drinking social sitautions, because I had a lot more energy and could stay up until 2 or 3:00am.

When I drink, I usually pass out pretty early. LOL

So there are benefits when we stop drinking, many.

Think about severing your relationship with alcohol for a while, and you may be surprised how much more will power you have.
librarygirl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #23  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl111 View Post
Think about severing your relationship with alcohol for a while, and you may be surprised how much more will power you have.
I'm not severing my relationship with alcohol just like I don't believe in eliminating entire groups of food. I refuse to live in this "all or nothing" mentality.

I don't have a problem with alcohol - I was just curious as to how other people incorporate it into their lives.

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 09-20-2012 at 07:10 AM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #24  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
I'm not severing my relationship with alcohol just like I don't believe in eliminating entire groups of food. I refuse to live in this "all or nothing" mentality.

I don't have a problem with alcohol - I was just curious as to how other people incorporate it into their lives.
Yep, that's a great way to look at it! I don't see that there is a problem enjoying alcohol any more than I do enjoying ice cream... moderation is the name of the game.

Personally, I don't drink at all UNLESS it is with the intent of getting drunk. I'm not someone who has a glass of wine with dinner each night. Once, perhaps twice a month or so (yeah, it's not often) I will go out and have drinks (anywhere from 3-7 usually, depending on the situation). It's not that I wouldn't *like* to have alcohol more often, but I am one of those who gets very snacky in addition to consuming more calories from the alcohol itself. It's not something I've been able to incorporate very often and stay as lean as I do, but I definitely enjoy it!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #25  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

Ah yes, drinking and dieting... this topic seems to always bring out a great deal of personal opinion and matters of perceived morality Really, I think it come down to matter of your priorities and what kind of lifestyle you ultimately want.

For me, I don't want to give up alcohol. This isn't about "needing it to have fun" etc etc., it's just what I want - I don't think you need to defend wanting to continue drinking beyond this if it's the choice you want for yourself. My weight loss journey has been more about finding a balanced lifestyle that I can enjoy living instead of dropping weight super fast and making choices I couldn't live comfortably with long-term. And this includes being able to drink - yes, even to the point of drunkenness when it's safe/appropriate to do so. I drank all through the time I was losing weight and it was never a major inhibitor of my progress. I've been more or less maintaining my weight for 6-8 months now (I fluctuate between 128-130lbs these days), and I still go out to the bars about once a week.

I will say, though, that educating yourself on the general calorie content of different types of alcohol/mixed drinks can be very helpful. I tend to stick to light beer or red wine - so, about 100-125 calories per serving - as opposed to mixed drinks (margarita, long island iced tea, etc..), which can easily top out at 400-500 calories per drink. There is a website called get drunk not fat (I know, not the best name) that is a good resource for educating yourself. Just like anything else, drinking can be accommodated into a weight-loss lifestyle with a few tweaks.

Now, this would of course become a different issues if I felt I was struggling with some sort of substance abuse or dependency, but it isn't an issue for me personally - and judging from the content of your post, it doesn't seem to be an issue/concern for you at this point either. Happy drinking.
pavvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #26  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

My opinion is rather irrelevant seeing as how I pretty much don't drink at all save for the odd glass of wine on a special occasion. But it's true that everything needs to be in moderation. One spends all the calories on booze whereas another might spend them all on pizza. Everyone has his or her own vice.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/177/150

Default Giving up alcohol

Hi there,

I didn't mean to come off aggressive when I was talking about "severing your relationship with alcohol". My family has a strong history of alcoholism, and so it's on a much more personal level as to why I have decided to stop drinking.

I just thought I'd share my experience in quitting drinking, and how supportive and fun it's been.

I still hang out with my friends who drink, I just don't drink.

I was just trying to say that quitting drinking doesn't mean the end of your social life, as some people may think of it.
librarygirl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

I'm about to graduate college so I know aaaaalll about this stuff

(seriously message me if you wanna talk lol)

I manage to still lose weight by doing amazing during the week. For example, I work out Mon-Thurs at night, go to the gym Friday morning, go out and drink with friends Friday night (ONLY Vodka water lime or vodka diet cranberry!) and I force myself to NOT have food after the bar. Then I try to eat healthy Sat during the day, go out Sat night, and then get back on track Sunday with eating healthy and the gym.
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 146/116/110

Height: 5'0

I include wine in my daily calorie limit. I actually can't remember the last time I went a day without wine. I am still able to lose the same amount of weight with or without it.

Now that I'm back in school, I aim to be a waste case only like once a week or so
kitkat2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #30  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Well I had to stop all of my excess drinking a long time ago. It used to be a vice for me but now I just enjoy a drink or two on the weekends, usually if we are out to dinner with our parents or something like that, or if me and hubby are grilling out we might have a few beers.

When I used to enjoy more than a few drinks a week it started packing on the pounds, which was even more of a reason for me to make having a beer, glass of wine, mixed drink or two on the weekend a delicacy so to speak.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote