What would you say to your once heavier self?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • i would tell myself: make time for yourself, make time for your health, make taking care of yourself one of your priorities, and Never Ever Give Up! no matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping everyone still sitting on the couch
  • Quote: i would tell myself: make time for yourself, make time for your health, make taking care of yourself one of your priorities, and Never Ever Give Up! no matter how slow you are going, you are still lapping everyone still sitting on the couch
    I have that quote on my FB page with a lot others to go along with it..
  • Things I would say....

1. It's not too late. Yeah, you'll regret not doing it earlier, but stop waiting. WLS isn't a miracle, okay? Being tough is what gets you through, no matter what weight loss tool you use. You'll feel SO much better when you try this again, I promise.

2. Weight has nothing to do with your ability to do art, okay? Stop it with that stupid idea. You're only depressing yourself for no reason. (That's a weird one, I know, but I DID think this.)
  • I would tell her not to be afraid of failure. That not trying is the biggest failure. I would tell her that it does make a difference in almost every aspect of her/my life - my energy level, my ability to interact with my kids, my relationship with my spouse, my ability to work, my ability to get hired, etc.

So mostly I would just tell her not to be afraid of the "what ifs" I'm worth more than the fear of failure.
  • learn to approve of your self, don't be so hard on your self, and lose weight for you, not others. You will never be perfect for everyone and you are the only one you have to spend the rest of your life with. Things will get better, and pain... no matter how painful it seems right now, will eventually start to heal. Also... it can be done! Believe in yourself!
  • One more:

Not only can you lose weight without starving yourself, its actually way easier and more fun.
  • It doesn't matter how long it takes. So what that you want to lose 135 lbs? You'll feel better after losing 20 lbs. And 40 and so on. Every single step you take feels so good. Enjoy the process and don't worry about the long term stuff. There's no deadline. You won't care how long it takes you because you'll feel better the entire time you're doing it.
  • I have thought this so many times...

On my way up I would have told myself to STOP! I would have given myself the diet and pill I lost it with.

At my highest I would tell myself that I'm going to look so awesome when this is over. I also would have told myself to not neglect lifting weights and toning. Sure I lost it fast, but it's left me with barely any muscle.
  • I just finished looking a picture of me at that weight and all I can think to say to that girl is 'I'm sorry'.

That I could have ever treated myself that way fills me with so much sadness. I think sometimes about the things I didn't do back then, because I physically couldn't, or because I was scared, and I'm glad I'm still young and braver than I was. But she deserved better.
  • Get up off your ***, the food will still be there tomorrow so you don't need to eat it all right now, and your husband and kids deserve better.
  • "Pregnancy and motherhood does NOT mean you get fat! It is NOT a requirement of having children!!!"

I was so over the monn about my first pregnancy, especially after undergoing infertility treatments. I wanted to start showing so badly and I just gave up on my body. I embraced the pudge and the roundness everywhere. And why does every other mom tell you it's okay....you're pregnant, etc. not okay, people, not okay!
    After the kids, I didn't try hard because what's the point, all moms are chubby? Right? I wish someone would have shown me a Fit Pregnancy magazine or something!
  • Put those potato chips and dunkin sticks down! My mom used to try to cook healthy food for us and have us signed up for dance classes and sports but I *****ed and moaned. I wished I had listened to my mom. I regret I stayed out of control with my eating for so long.
  • Quote: It doesn't matter how long it takes. So what that you want to lose 135 lbs? You'll feel better after losing 20 lbs. And 40 and so on. Every single step you take feels so good. Enjoy the process and don't worry about the long term stuff. There's no deadline. You won't care how long it takes you because you'll feel better the entire time you're doing it.
    LOVE this! And its so true. I feel amazing now. And I can't believe how crappy I used to feel all the time. Or that I couldn't get myself to make permanent healthy changes sooner. Health is the best antidepressant!

Quote: I just finished looking a picture of me at that weight and all I can think to say to that girl is 'I'm sorry'.

That I could have ever treated myself that way fills me with so much sadness. I think sometimes about the things I didn't do back then, because I physically couldn't, or because I was scared, and I'm glad I'm still young and braver than I was. But she deserved better.
    YEEESSSSS! I agree so hard. The quality of my life has improved in ways I never would have imagined. I can't believe my health and happiness used to be so low on my list of priorities. Its nuts!
  • Quote: It doesn't matter how long it takes. So what that you want to lose 135 lbs? You'll feel better after losing 20 lbs. And 40 and so on. Every single step you take feels so good. Enjoy the process and don't worry about the long term stuff. There's no deadline. You won't care how long it takes you because you'll feel better the entire time you're doing it.
    We have the exact same goal and start weight. Good luck!

Adding to the list others gave, I would tell myself to a) PUT THE SUGAR DOWN, b) quit eating your feelings (they don't disappear, they must be handled) and c) no matter what you think, you're better off without the cheating husband.
  • I'm sorry I didn't believe sooner. The only person you're hurting is yourself at this point. You don't need this weight to stay safe, you've worked through your issues, so move on. Believe in yourself. Believe in your future.