Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I bought a bike!! lol

Okay, so I haven't been on a bike in forever, probably around 18 years. And I'm just 25. LOL

So today, I was asking my fiancé what I could do to shrink my chicken thighs and he said.... well we COULD go bike riding??

I was petrified. So I said, alright, but you'll have to teach me.

So we went to the store, walked there, and bought our bikes.

Then we went for an hour long bike ride, it's no joke, they actually have a reason for saying "You never forget how to ride a bike".

I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! I went all fast, and was having fun, now I'm not completely confident with riding on the street so I stick to side walks and still freak out when I see a car backing out of their drive way, but one day at a time!!

I guess my question is, does anyone have success stories with how biking helped shape their legs?

I'm hoping this change in workout will help me get rid of the last stubborn pounds.

Here's a pic of me and my new bike. I'm trying to look pretty, but deep down inside, I'm petrified, it kinda shows in my smile! LOL

caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

haha, I got a bike for my 25th birthday. I haven't dedicated myself to it like I should. I find hills to be extremely difficult, and setting a high resistance in spin class just doesn't seem to compare to the real deal. So I'm hoping I'll get better when I have less weight to push up that hill.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
haha, I got a bike for my 25th birthday. I haven't dedicated myself to it like I should. I find hills to be extremely difficult, and setting a high resistance in spin class just doesn't seem to compare to the real deal. So I'm hoping I'll get better when I have less weight to push up that hill.
OMG I went up a hill just to go pass by my moms house, and I broke a sweat. It was 12 seconds. LOL I thought I was going to die.

And I completely agree, I remember doing spin class and being like THIS IS EASY! Yeah.. not quite.

But honestly, give it a shot, it's soooooo fun And stay away from hills to begin :P
Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I bought a bicycle too.. it's sitting in my living room lol. I want to hear if anyone had success because I have some turkey thighs...
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #5  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I bought a retro-looking cruiser last summer and I love it. (Her, actually. I named her Eulalie ) I don't know if it helped shape my legs or if thats from the other things I do, but my thighs are so much leaner and more muscular and I have to think the bike helped.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #6  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Hi! I started using a bike as my main form of transport about a year ago, and I haven't looked back. At first, I hated it but now I look forward to it. I can't recommend it enough!

As to shaping your thighs, I'm not sure how much of that it will do. It's a great cardio workout so it will help burn calories and aid fat loss that way, and if you bike lots of hills or perhaps at a really high gear I guess you might gain some leg muscle strength. But! If you look at professional cyclists' legs, they have very specific muscles that stand out - their calves, and the muscles on the inside of your leg just above your knee. I don't know how much muscle definition it will add in your upper thighs though.

In saying that, I'm pretty sure cycling has done wonders for my butt! It's so much higher now! And I feel like it has made my waist more defined.

Keep going!! I promise those hills will get easier
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You look awesome with your bike!

I bought a bike that I've ridden a few times too. However, considering most of the time I was losing was during bad weather months, I wouldn't have been able to use it all that much. However I DID take spinning classes religiously...actually I've been a faithful spinner for over six years!

I know spinning incorporates both strength and cardio—just like a real bike. I love how my legs turned out as a result. While there is some loose skin at the very tops of my thighs, it's pretty minimal and it seems to be shrinking.

My thighs actually still rub together, but it's not because of the fat They're muscular! Poke one and your finger wouldn't sink in much at all—it immediately hits muscle.

I have no scientific evidence, but I know if us formerly obese folks strength train that we keep most of our muscle when we lose weight. We also have muscular legs from carrying around the fat. I'm wondering if between the spinning classes and weight training that I do that my legs just kept the majority of the muscle I had to begin with.

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-26-2012 at 05:50 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #8  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

I don't have a success story but hopefully I will soon because I also have recently rediscovered how amazing biking is. I burn over 600 calories an hour and have SO much fun doing it. Good luck! And btw you look great!
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9  

liliesinmycereal LOL @ Turkey Legs !! I think we have the same problem girl, it's not a bad thing, because we're thick, but.... I hate when I jiggle when I walk. lmao

thistleberry Eulalie!!!!! What a cute name!! I still haven't named mine! But thanks for the info on the leaner legs, it gives me hope

Rocketpop Thanks!!!! I really hope those hills get better and I end up having a cyclers butt/legs when I see them I envy them so much they all look freaking good! LOL

sontaikle You inspire me!! spinning is so hard for me LOL I wanted to stab the instructor when he said "imagine you are strolling on hollywood blvd" im like I HATE YOU! But I am envious of your muscular legs, I guess it must work!! Scientific proof or not, who cares!! your body shows it!

ADL Thank you hun!! I know when I entered my workout in MFP I was like HUUUUUHHHHHH?!?!?!?! Hahahahhaa And extremely happy at the amount of calories I burnt. I was also so excited I went for a second ride not long after. I think this is gonna be my new favorite workout. I had grown tired of my elliptical <3
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

You look great!

We have a couple of bikes but due to the kids we kinda have not used them in awhile. Tomorrow we are going to get a bike trailer to put them in so that should work out! Riding bikes is so much fun. It is funny because I felt the same way getting on mine the first time.
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #11  

Thanks Ash2007 !!

I know, right?? It's like people always tell us we'll never forget how to ride the bike, but I guess we just don't believe them?!

Im actually addicted to it, I just wanna ride my bike all the time! lol Im looking forward to going again tomorrow, I didn't go today, and I think my body is mad at me. lol
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/259/160

Height: 5'7

OMG I am TERRIFIED of riding a bike. The last time I got on a bike was in college about 4 years ago. We rode from a friends house about two miles to the campus and when we got to campus we were going down hill and the breaks were not working very well so I ran into this huge bronze sign. It sounded like a gong. hahahaha so embarrassing
nataliegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliegm View Post
OMG I am TERRIFIED of riding a bike. The last time I got on a bike was in college about 4 years ago. We rode from a friends house about two miles to the campus and when we got to campus we were going down hill and the breaks were not working very well so I ran into this huge bronze sign. It sounded like a gong. hahahaha so embarrassing

LOL!!! omg Im so glad ur ok to talk about it cuz thats hilarious! lolol

I went down a street which turned into a crazy downhill slope, and i screamed, slammed on the breaks, and flew into bushes.

I guess Im not ready yet, but my battle wounds are awesome! lol
Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #14  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Kind of glad I live in a completely flat city...
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #15  

Well I went down a hill today. Which was fun. Scary, but fun.

Then I had to go back up another hill, now I b*tched and moaned all the way up, but I did it. LOL

And good news girls, my legs BUUUUUUURNNNNNNNN so I'm guessing my thighs are getting the work they need to build some sexy muscle. lol

Also my bum hurts. Like a lot. I can barely sit on the seat, i guess that's what happens when you're a fat a$$