3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Gigantic Scale Discrepancies (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/258123-gigantic-scale-discrepancies.html)

redrose8988 05-01-2012 10:00 AM

Gigantic Scale Discrepancies

I dont know if this is an ok place to post this question, but here goes anyway!

So I've pretty much only ever used digital scales, but I'm subleasing a place that has a scale which is not digital. On every single digital scale that I've tried out, I'm always around 186. But the other scale has me at 196.

The latest digital scale I weighed in on was one of those Biggest Loser digital scales that's pretty much brand new at my boyfriend's place. So since I don't think I gained 10 lbs in a couple days, what scale do I go with?

Can the non digital scale be 10 lbs off, orrrr are all of the digital scales I've been on just teased me with that 10 lb difference? How can you tell? If it were a couple pounds difference then I wouldn't worry too much...but 10 lbs?!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

crazygurl61 05-01-2012 10:08 AM

I feel your pain. It's interesting because my doctors office has a fancy spring scale, and I asked why- they said it was because it was MORE accurate than a digital scale! I don't know though

I actually have 2 side by side- a digital and a spring so I can have both.

Sometimes it can be the way you are standing...don't get to discouraged though!

shapedself 05-01-2012 10:39 AM

Easy answer: Go with the smaller one.

Seriously though, there are so many things that can muck with weight measurement. It doesn't really matter what scale you go with, just pick one so you don't have that measurement error.

sontaikle 05-01-2012 10:51 AM

Do you have anything you know the weight of that you can test out on the scale?

Sally Pineapple 05-01-2012 10:55 AM

I agree with Shapedself. Pick one scale and go with it.
I have the beam scale that you see in the doctors office. It weighs me less than the digital scales, so I go with the one I have at home.

valalltogether 05-01-2012 11:24 AM

of course the non-digital scale can be off. if that thing has been banged around or just used for a long time, it can be uncalibrated.

philana 05-01-2012 12:28 PM

For me it was the other way around! My digital scale put me 8lbs higher than my other one. I eventually switched to the digital scale and so upped my weight accordingly on all my tickers and such. It was a bummer at first, but I just figure - I rather end up at a lighter weight than I thought all along than a heavier weight.

I tried to test it by putting 40lbs of weights on both, but they both were still accurate at 40lbs. The inaccuracy probably happens somewhere after a 100lbs. I dont know?!

Anyhow. Do what feels best for you. If most of the scales you use give the same number, then pick that number. Goodluck!

Quiet Ballerina 05-01-2012 12:32 PM

sontaikle asked my question: do you have any free weights or something you can use to check the accuracy?

djs06 05-01-2012 12:36 PM

Yes, test it out with dumbbells if you can.

My scale was nuts, or so I thought- my center of balance is just off, and I have big feet.... I realized I was stepping on it differently and getting weird variances. Someone on this forum recommended sticking a marker of some sort where your toes go so you get the most accuracy. I didn't realize that I was doing this, but ever since I consciously figured out how to be consistent about where I was standing (and this included putting my contacts in first, LOL) it's been consistent every time.

You can also find another scale (do you belong to a gym? Those should be pretty accurate) to compare.

Ash2007 05-01-2012 12:47 PM

The weights are a great idea!! I also have this issue, I have a digital scale and my parents have the other kind. In my case, the digital one tells me I am about 3 pounds heavier. I usually go by the digital, just that much more I need to lose right?

redrose8988 05-01-2012 12:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have some weights I can try out on both of the scales. So I will definitely do that and see what's going on.

I love the idea of just going by the lower weight :)

The spring scale is pretty darn old, so it's definitely possible that it's just messed up. Either way, i'll try to measure something like a weight to see how accurate it is. And I'll also try to see what happens when I shift my weight a little. It's so frustrating how even how you stand on the scale can knock it one way or another!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

spiritualflow 05-06-2012 11:54 PM

This may be redundant, but have you checked to make sure your scale is set to 0 when you start? I've done that by accident where I've stepped on the non-digital scale and was like 0.0 HOW. Then I realized I had accidentally moved the dial to 15 pounds. So accidents happen :)

sontaikle 05-07-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritualflow (Post 4323419)
This may be redundant, but have you checked to make sure your scale is set to 0 when you start? I've done that by accident where I've stepped on the non-digital scale and was like 0.0 HOW. Then I realized I had accidentally moved the dial to 15 pounds. So accidents happen :)

OH YEAH THIS. Check this.

I thought I was 10lbs higher my whole way down because my scale was starting on 10. Hahaha!