3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 20-Somethings

Did you not notice the weight gain???

Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #46

S/C/G: 235/ticker/160?

Height: 5'8

I don't know if it was that I didn't notice the weight gain or if it was that I was just in complete denial lol. In my mind when I looked in the mirror I still saw what size I was back in High School and not what I truly was.
lyrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #47
❈ one w/ the wind & sky ❈

S/C/G: 360/203/150

Height: 5' 8"

There was one point in my life where my regular jeans started to get painful along the middle as I sat down (I'm an apple shape), so when I was home I would simply unfasten them. That would add extra pressure to the zipper, which would then break on me. Unfortunately, I think I was in too much denial to put two and two together. Instead, I would go buy new jeans. When I got sick of how the zippers kept breaking on me, I started buying those fake Walmart jeans with the elastic waists instead of realizing that my stomach had to be growing. And boy, did it ever!

Then how many months later I went shopping with a friend and realized that none of the plus size jeans at the store were big enough to fit me, and when I got around to weighing myself, I realized I was no longer a 250 pound girl. I was a 360 pound girl.

Uh, yikes.

I've always been a big girl and have never known what it's like to be at a normal weight, so I don't think it phased me much when 22/24 jeans first stopped fitting me. But when I realized that 28's wouldn't fit and made myself get on the scale, I was shocked that I'd let myself get anywhere over 300. Looking back at a handful of old photos I never realized at the time how big I'd gotten. It's still hard to believe now, but I guess I saw what I wanted to. It probably didn't help that I didn't own a full-length mirror.

Anyway, I think I was in denial over that 110 pound gain as I was completely, utterly depressed in so many areas of my life. I'm so glad I've since been able to lose most of it, and once I get back down to 250 again I'll be refocusing on moving past a difficult mental barrier; I've only gotten under that number three times in my life.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #48

S/C/G: 230/156/140

Height: 5'6

I knew that I gained a lot of weight, I was just so lazy that I didn't "care" enough to do anything about it. I really wish I started noticing or caring wayyy sooner! I remember that the weight didn't look that bad at first, then all the sudden I got this "hanging stomach" It felt like it was overnight, but it probably wasn't! Now that I've been overweight for 2-3 years I'm finally sick of looking and feeling like crap!
Mrshonopolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #49

S/C/G: 165/ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I always knew but I never wanted to acknowledge it. I would try to rationalize it. I've always been about the weight I'm currently at, but about 2 years ago I gained 30 lbs. And I gained it pretty fast.

Because I gained it so fast, I got stretch marks. That was a wake up call. It seemed like they appeared over night. That made me want to get my act together. I had used the scale before too but just never wanted to believe it I guess. Or I didn't realize what the number really meant. When I looked it up on the BMI charts, I was at the borderline of obesity. That scared me.

Clothes wise, I never went to buy new clothes. I just wore looser things and I stopped wearing jeans. Leggings became my best friend. And sweatshirts.
slicedbreadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #50
From Hippo to Hot!

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

NO! Otherwise I wouldn't have let myself get that big! I actually remember saying while on holiday visiting my boyfriend "I think your Mum is shrinking my clothes because they're not fitting..." but it was actually me ballooning! So in denial it was stupid. I knew I was big. Pudgy. But I never knew I had let myself get obese. Ridonkulous. When I weighed myself and figured out it means obesity, that was my wake up call, and I've been conscious of my body and weight (in a good way) ever since .

Losing weight is incredible too, because it's only now I'm starting to think "actually...I have lost a lot of weight!" because I have to buy clothes in sizes I never thought I'd reach. I actually went to America again and still picked up XL sizes only to realise that I needed a S or a M. Insanity!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #51

Height: 5'2"

for me, i guess i just though that those items of clothing were ill fitting from the start and i just never noticed til now.

so i'd say "ok..i have to go out and get a size that FITS no matter what it is, no more buying a X just for X's sake"
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #52

S/C/G: 306/297/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker23 View Post
My weight gain was so gradual over 9 years, that I didn't notice it. With clothes, i've always had 2 sometimes 3 different sizes at the same weight. So anytime I had to by something larger I just assumed it was the difference in sizing. The mirror and our minds tell many lies xD.....I mean, I knew I wasn't skinny, but I saw myself as just a bit chubby...even at 350 pounds
Omg, this. So much. It kind of scares me the way my mind and mirror can lie to me. When I look in the mirror it doesn't tell the same story that, say, a candid photo does. Why is this? I would really love to understand this from a psychological point of view: How your mind can actually convince you, visually, that you're not as big as you really are.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #53
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

I think initially when I started putting on weight, I didn't notice too much because I had some room in my pants and shirts, and I went from wearing loose clothing to tight clothing. Once I had to move up to the next size, I don't really know. Surely I knew I was gaining, but I guess I didn't care. I was never truly thin. Back in high school, my lowest weight was maybe 196. Which actually isn't that bad when I look back at photos of me, but at the time, I thought I was a cow. So I guess I saw myself as a cow whether I weighed 196, 215, 230, 250, etc, so it didn't really dawn on me what was going on. Maybe if I had started out at 150, I would have made positive changes sooner.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #54

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I was in complete denial. Avoided the scale so I never saw the actual #s. Ran from cameras so I'd never have to see the proof in pictures. My parents had always picked on me about my weight (even when I was average weight) so I just shrugged off their comments.

I'd wear sweat pants or stretchy black leggings & sweatshirts to cover up my growing size. Terrible the things we let ourselves believe!
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.