Best way to describe my figure on a dating site?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Hey ladies

I'm thinking of giving match.com a try (I'm doing it more to meet people; I'm not looking to jump back into a relationship yet, I don't feel ready) and I'm having trouble deciding how to describe my figure. I'm 5'7" and a little over 180 lbs (so close to being under!). I think this picture shows me fairly well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7446529...in/photostream

I have a belly, but I also have a nice hip to waist ratio that I'm pretty happy with. :P Though you can't really see that in the picture.

What do you think I should put? My options are:
    Heavyset
    A few extra pounds
    Stocky
    Big and beautiful
    Curvy
    Full-figured

Thanks for the help! Also, have any of you used online dating? How do you like it? Any advice?
  • There's no "normal" option? I would go with "a few extra pounds" but you are looking much better than that does justice for!
  • I'd go with a "few extra pounds"...but you look normal....0.o If theres an average option i'd select it
  • You do no took heavy at all and if you say "a few extra pounds". They are going to think like 75-100 pounds because if you mention extra weight they are going to think BIG.

If you can, just say you are an average built woman as that is so true. Not heavy. Not thin. (but you are much closer to thin than heavy!)
  • Use about average. People assume that everyone will reduce their weight, men will add an inch to their height, people will reduce their drinking, etc. etc. So if you say "a few extra pounds" they will assume 100 extra pounds. Use about average.
  • Just say 5' 7" & leave it at that...
  • I think you look normal, but I agree with evilwomaniamshe....I didn't put a body type, but when I met someone, I told him that I wasn't model skinny or anything, that I was overweight and if he couldn't deal with that then we couldn't talk anymore. He said it wasn't an issue, and a year later we're still together I'd just go with normal, average, or nothing at all. You put pics on there usually, so they can see what your body type is. Good luck! <3
  • Wow your facial structure is so interesting, I think you are very pretty.
    I would put you at average personnally... you don't even look overweight ! You hold the weight pretty well.
  • I'd say curvy or average. Just by looking at you, I wouldn't think that you have a few extra pounds to lose (even if your healthy weight range might say differently). A lot of people are about your size and don't feel a need to lose weight.
  • Those...are the weirdest options ever. Where the heck did they hide the "average" option? -_-

Personally, I go with average. BMI-wise, I'm overweight but it's hard to tell. I feel like if I put "a few extra pounds" down that I'd be discounted whereas if these guys saw me in person, it wouldn't be an issue. You are kind of the same way...BMI-wise, you're overweight but you don't look it. I wouldn't say a few extra pounds if I were you. Normally I'd say to use "average" but apparently no one has that body type as far as Match is concerned. Or did you discount other options yourself? Because those all seem like ways of saying, "I'm not thin" to different extents...
  • Oh, sorry, I didn't list the skinny-normal options. :P I ruled those out, haha. There was also athletic & toned, average, and slender. Maybe one other I'm forgetting.
  • Then go average! You look great - nice pic Hope you meet some nice guys!!
  • Okay, I put average, even if I don't think it's entirely correct. :P But it's also true that A. people lie (haha) and B. Guys will probably overreact to any "few extra pounds" they hear about online.

I haven't quite decided to do it yet...it's $20 a month, for 6 months. Not horrible, but I feel bad spending money on it, haha. What if nobody wants to meet me and then I wasted my money? I think I might wait, maintain my profile, and see if I'm up for it in a few months. At least that way my profile will still be up.
  • I think you look great . What are you worrying about ? Is it necessary to give your weight ?
  • You don't give your weight in pounds, but you're supposed to give your body type so guys can search for you. And I haven't seen a single guy put on his profile that he's looking for anything other than skinny, average, or toned. Some even leave out average. :/