Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default WWYD - Obsessive Exerciser at my gym...

I don't know how else to title this. I'm trying to figure out if I should do something about this or if it would just make it worse.

There's a girl that comes to my gym. She usually wears a High School track Tshirt with last year's date on it so I'm assuming she's 18/19. She's INCREDIBLY thin. Like, you can see the bones in her legs thin . I'm usually at the gym for 2 hours on MTWT and she's always there before I arrive and stays after I leave. She spends her time on the Elliptical cranked up to top speed with no resistance, doing 1000's of situps, running on the treadmill. For HOURS. I'm seriously concerned about her health.

I know it's not my place but I wish I could do/say something to her to help. I don't know... It just makes me really sad that she feels like she needs to do that to her body.

WWYD? I am so sad that someone close to her doesn't care enough to get her some help...
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/196/160

Height: 5'8''

I know what you're talking about! Years ago I went to a gym that had a girl exactly like this. She looked emaciated and would stay for hours. Always on the elliptical too. What I did was talk to a personal trainer there expressing my concern. He told me that they have spoken to her in the past and there are always a woman like that at very gym he's worked at.

It's delicate because I was honestly concerned for her but I realize it's not my place to say anything. You could strike up a casual conversation with her and maybe get to know her a little to see what she says but I feel it doesn't make sense to flat-out tell her you're worried. I don't go up to obese people at McDonald's and tell them I'm worried but it's not because I'm not.
uselessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It makes me so sad . I'm afraid to approach her... She came into the weight room while I was doing dead lifts today and gave me a really disgusted look. I'm sure she doesn't want me to talk to her. *sigh*... I might talk to the girls at the front desk and see if they could maybe tactfully say something. One of my best friends in HS was anorexic and beat it. She's a therapist now and most of her clients have eating disorders. I wish she still lived here! She's such an inspiration.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/196/160

Height: 5'8''

I know, it makes me sad too. It was the same with me- the girl look like she did not want to be talked to and the trainer I spoke to said she got nasty with people easily. I REALLY think it's because she didn't want people confronting her. I don't like the looks people give me at the gym and I bet she doesn't either, even if she is on the other end of the spectrum. Sensitive issue! I think asking someone who works there could help you get an better idea of what's going on with her. And yeah, it's too bad your friend isn't around to acidently bump into her and strike up an conversation! :P It's like anything else though, she's going to need to want to change for it to happen... I hope she gets help.
uselessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Since you don't know her, I wouldn't say anything. An intrusion from a stranger could make things worse

Also, you don't know what she's dealing with. There are some long distance runners who might meet this profile. She could even have an illness and may insist on the routine as her way of staying normal. I saw someone with cancer who I thought should have been way too weak/thin to exercise but it was her way of taking control of her health. Although, this sounds like anorexia to me, I would send my best prayers and be there if she ever asked.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I agree that there is always a women like this at every gym, I always feel sad for them too. I really don't think it's your place to say something though, i'm sure other people (like her family and friends or the personal trainer) have already said something. People need to make the choice for themselves to change. Like someone else said, you wouldn't go up to an obese person and say "I'm worried about you, don't eat so much". Eating disorders are very complicated, she'll get help when she's ready.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #7  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Don't say anything...at least I wouldn't. She most likely knows exactly what she's doing and has a disorder of some sort, and won't stop until she has to. It's hard to see, but it's the same with all addictions...you don't stop until you hit rock bottom, and hopefully it's not death. I've been there with a lot of peiople with a lot of conditions. It hurts, but you can't save everyone
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

There was a woman like this in my old gym too. She was the only other woman who would go into the weight lifting area. At first I thought she was trying to gain some muscle because she was so thin. Then I noticed she was there before me and still there when I left, I would see her doing sit up after sit up in between light weight lifting.

At most, talk to someone who works there about your concerns but there isn't too much you can do. You hope she has someone in her life that cares about her enough to recognize the problem she has and to get her help.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #9  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everyone else, that you shouldn't say anything to her but maybe say something to a staff member.
Just became she's not getting help, doesn't mean that someone close to her isn't trying to get her help either. ED's are very difficult, and getting them help is easier said than done. Just like any other addiction they have to decide to do it on their own.
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by torito View Post
I agree with everyone else, that you shouldn't say anything to her but maybe say something to a staff member.
Just became she's not getting help, doesn't mean that someone close to her isn't trying to get her help either. ED's are very difficult, and getting them help is easier said than done.
This is what I was going to say. It's very possible her family has tried to help her but you can't force someone to get better.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #11  
say what?

I agree with torito, just saw a Dr. Phil show about this anorexic girl that dragged her family down with her. They kept trying to help her, care for her but she would not get better. In the end the only thing for the family to do would be to just live their own lives and HOPE the girl would choose change and accept (professional) help.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #12  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I wouldn't say a thing. Just ignore her. As much as we'd like to help someone who we think is in trouble, there's simply nothing you can do. And if the people at the gym say something, she could get upset and file a complaint and get them in trouble. She had to figure it out for herself. Crystal Renn talks about her exercise addiction and ED in her book, and she said that the only person who could have helped her was herself. And she did. And her weight has since gone up and down, and now she's in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and people are worried that her ED is back, but she insists it's natural weight fluctuation and I believe her.

You don't know what medical condition, if any, she has. I had a friend who suffered from cluster headaches (and still does) and the only thing that would help would be to exercise. So she'd be at the gym for like over 2 hours on the bike.

Even if she had an ED, it's still unfortunately not your business and I wouldn't say a thing.

Last edited by bandit bear; 02-14-2012 at 02:05 PM.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yes. Saying even something general and quick can make her situation worse, even. It sounds like it's a full-blown disorder and she can very easily misinterpret a seemingly innocuous comment of support. It's so sad, but true what other say- she has to want help.

Last edited by djs06; 02-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

i think you should talk to her. the difference we can do to this world is to take actions to change it, so, yes, maybe you could help her just by saying something encouraging or something like that!
it makes me happy to see that there actually are people that care about others!
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/190/130

I've seen this too at my gym :S. She might take offense to it if you go up to her and tell her what you think, but she might take it more seriously if one of the trainer's at your gym goes up to her to talk to her. You should inform one of the trainers that is working there at the same time she is there. It's worth a try, because from what it sounds like, this girl has an exercise disorder :S.

also, speaking of exercising I want to get your guys' opinions. so I am starting up my weight loss journey again, and this time I want to do it right. I've done a ton of research to figure out what will work best for me. I've recently read a lot of stuff about BMIs and how you don't want to eat below your BMI, etc etc. I've used the formula, and my BMI is around 1635 (so this is what my body supposedly burns everyday just to keep my heart beating, etc.) and I've read that you are never supposed to eat below your BMI. well, 1635 seems like a lot of calories for me, I thought that eating 1500 would be much more suitable for me? but when I go to the gym, if I burn 500 and eat 1500 calories a day, doesn't that put me way below my BMI and therefore mess up my metabolism by slowing it down? I'm just kinda confused here.

my life long health plan I know will work for me because I love to eat fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains and lean meats, its just putting it all in moderation and the fact that I have to cut out at least 90% of the junk I eat to get myself healthy again.

I would love some advice from someone who has lost weight and can give me some good advice. I want to do this right, and be healthy.

if it helps, I'm 23 yrs old, 5'6" and currently 190 lbs. my ultimate goal weight is 130lbs, but my small goal right now is to get to 180lbs.

Please give me some advice!! :>! thank you!!
determinedgrl4handh is offline   Reply With Quote