Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #1  

Default Spinach and kidney stones?

I've been eating a lot of spinach lately-a package of the Cascadian farm's frozen spinach (I think its like.33 a cup and 3.5 servings) mainly cause its filling and I can just stick the package in a bowl. Now I'm reading about kidney stones and spinach and it freaks me out...anyone here have kidney stones caused by eating too many high oxalate veggies? erggg I'll reduce my spinach intake now 0_0
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #2  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I've never heard of this before, but I assume you'd have to eat A LOT of it. Or if you're prone to getting kidney stones
Plus if you're drinking enough water you shouldn't have any problems with stones
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I've never heard of this either, but then again I've never looked into it either >.< I was always told not having enough water helps lead to kidney stones, dunno about spinach
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #4  

Reading about health makes me all sorts of freaked out, esp since you don't know whats really correlation vs causation! lol
And then I read the solution- "have a more balanced diet" I'd rather (if these spinach claims are true) have them just say eat less spinach, but keep it in the diet if it works for you, and eat more veggies that have less oxalate! because a balanced diet to me means keep on eating that spinach (or any other food) and make it up for it by eating some else in addition! lol
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #5  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

What I read on it, there was no "eat this amount of spinach" it was more "reduce your intake" so I think what you're wanting them to say, they are saying.
But like I said earlier, unless if you're prone to kidney stones I don't think you'll have a problem
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

I eat half a pack of fresh spinach everyday, I replaced it for regular salad leafs, havn't seen any bad effects so far. . Personally I think you should listen to your body rather then reading up on something that MAY happen. If you were prone to stones, then reduce your intake. Untill you get them though don't sweat it.
I did have an attack of gallstones 5 years ago. Ouch! I never want to go through that again. I was told I could reduce the risks of getting them by lowering my fat intake. I do have a better diet now than then but I'm certainly not a saint when it comes to fat yet I havn't had another attack. But we'll see...
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #7  
Betsey

S/C/G: 232.2/185.5/160

Height: 5'10

This thread made me smile. I have had over 60 different kidney stone episodes in my lifetime. I went to see a doctor about the cause of the kidney stones when I was younger and he told me that I needed to stay away from any green, leafy vegetables however I am probably one of the most unhealthy eaters out there (I have been called a junk-aterian many times by friends and family). Most fruits and veggies were never in my diet, so it really doesn't matter what you do because in the end if you're meant to get stones, you will!

I'd also add that if you've been eating it and haven't had a problem, I wouldn't worry too much!
bt2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #8  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I eat upwards of 4 cups of spinach a day, and no problems here. I also drink about 150 ounces of water a day, so I'm sure that keeps things moving... lol.

kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Everything in moderation! and I'm sure drinking lots of water would help too.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote