Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/318/160

Height: 5'11"

Default Tips for Night Shifters?

I have worked Customer Support for a pretty long time now and my shifts tend to always be nights, currently 8PM - 5AM. This doesn't really make it hard for me to control my eating, but it can tend to make it hard to find time to work out much since I usually have to flex my sleeping all the time to revolve around other things I need to go get done on a daily basis. What I've been doing it taking walks around my building on breaks. It's only 15 minutes, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Does anyone else who works nights have any tips that they've used?
CrystalLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #2  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Hi crystal, I work rotating shifts as an undergrad nurse. At the hospital everyone brings in unhealthy food to share on nights, so that has been a struggle for me. In terms of working out, I have been successful in making working out a priority to do either immediately after work or a couple hours before my shift. Since you're off at 0500, you might find that the gyms and stuff are just opening and not busy at all. You are right, walking on your breaks is a great start! But if you want to up your fitness, making the time to train is the only way to do it long-term.
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

When I worked nights, I found it easier to get a workout in RIGHT after work in the morning. Usually it was a jog. I find workouts make me sleepy so doing them before work would be an epic fail for me.

Figure out which works best for you, but I think right after work at 5am would be the best, because you get it out of the way right away! But everyone is different.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #4  

Thanks for the tips, guys! That's pretty much what I've been leaning towards doing.

@ Lucky, I totally get you on the snacks! I work for a video game company and not only do we get 3 free sodas a day, but we have potlucks and events galore with terribly unhealthy food, not to mention the snacks people bring in to share everyday. It's for sure hard to say no! Luckily we do have a gym though, which I never utilize on breaks because of the short amount of time I have. But it's obvious that I should for sure take advantage of that after work. For me the kicker is always convincing myself to work out when I'm pooped from work. I know that's totally normal though.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

Yikes! I can't even imagine! I'm a journalist. While I don't work night shifts, per say, it's not uncommon to work 8 a.m. to midnight with little breaks.

Honestly, on those days I shift my focus from working out to maintaining my health (i.e. drink plenty of fluids, get rest when possible and not over-do it on whatever food is made available). THEN, on an off day or "normal" day, I hit the park/gym.

While it's ideal to work out multiple times a week, for those of us that have jobs that won't permit it, I don't think we should knock ourselves out trying.
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #6  

I agree, Shell. I really think we should focus on as many "healthy" aspects of the journey as possible. I'm trying not to beat myself up if I don't work out one day and pay myself on the back for all the good things I did that day with my diet, water intake, and even the walks I take on break.

One thing I'm starting to do now as well is push myself harder on those walks to get the time it takes down to the point where I can add in additional laps as I progress. It's not much, but every little bit helps imo.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

1) Control your food. Be aware of what you eat. Decide right now that those foods people bring in are a once a week or once a month indulgence and keep it to a small amount. Snacks should be planned, good things you brought (I like apples and cheese) in order to avoid browsing the potluck or vending machine. Something like 80% of weight loss is diet.

2) Cut out the soda, or at least switch to diet. They really give you 3 free sodas?! I find I need caffeine when I don't get good sleep so I drink a sugar free energy drink when I'm really tired. I also might have a Coke zero once or twice a week as an indulgence.

3)If you can't motivate yourself to work out after work (I never could) then motivate yourself to do it before work. Show up early and spend 30 min or an hour at the gym, you might be surprised how much more energy you'll have on shift, I was. The best workout is the one you can stick to.

4) protect your sleep. I know how hard it can be to function in the real world when you have to work nights, and we often sacrifice our 8hrs of sleep, cutting it into pieces or forgoing a couple hours so we can get to the store or an appointment. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a way to get that sleep in so your body can re-set itself and rebuild. Studies show sleep is essential to weight loss and maintenance - we get hungrier without it too.

I managed to lose 50 pounds and keep it off on night shift 9:30pm-7:30am, and it took dedication and time, but it can be done. It is very important too, as we shift workers are much more vulnerable to things like diabetes because of how much we mess with the circadian rhythm.

Last edited by fromthebox; 01-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Well, at least around those times its cooler outside (in the summer) and jogging is easier! I used to huff and puff at noon, thinking I had terrible cardio - until I tried jogging at 6PM.

I agree with am workouts - or if you have an empty office, maybe you could do pushups/yoga at your desk? Or squat instead of using the chair?

Good for you for the walks during breaks! maybe you could up the effort?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I am starting a night shift job soon. From 5pm-5:30am and I am trying to see how I can fit exercise into my daily routine. The commute to and from work is an hour each way so that doesn't give me much time. I plan on packing my lunch and plan my mealsin advance to avoid eating unhealthy food and the vending machines. I haven't had sodas in over 2 years so I don't think that will be an issue. I'm a sucker for chips even though I know how bad it is for me.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #10  

You work for a video game company? Jealous! I'm a video game journalist, but sadly it's not my day job. I battled issues working night shift as well. I imagine when I start working again soon it's going to bug me again.
Psychotica DeLuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

I work night shifts from 10:30pm-7:00am but with the commute or overtime I won't get home till 8-8:30am. Before when I really didn't care what/how I ate I would eat at work, when I got home from work and with a full belly go to bed at 9ish then wake up and eat yet again...
This caused me to gain about 20lbs in a year, not much but considering 10 of those were in 3 months wow.
My diet has been my main focus at this point but yes after work is definately one of the best times to work out, or right after you wake up. I stopped eating before I fall asleep and I'll have my last meal about 8pm and only drink water or tea at work and have a light snack, I'm down about 10lbs and people are starting to notice which keeps me very motivated

Night shifts are HARD, you need sleep to get your body to lose weight and honestly most of us who work like those don't get 8hrs of sleep daily, eating helps you stay awake and I hated when people would tell me that you'd gain weight working nights but it's true for sure because it tires you so much more than a regular 9-5 job.
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #12  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

I work nights, 8 pm to 8 am, i commute, and i go to school full time. Its difficult, especially with eating. I have made sure to bring certain kinds of food, and certain portions. I am like an in-home nurse, so im not very busy on my shift and i can work out, i have just decided to do small 15 minute workouts every 3 hours to help with my weight loss goals
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote