Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #1  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Default Completely Frustrated & Discouraged

This month started off very well, I was losing steadily, not quickly but steady enough to be satisfied. I broke the 140's and made my way into the 130's after a long battle with the 140's, I got down to 136 and was so excited! It did not last long however and then next several days I was steadily at 137. It was slightly annoying but I figured I just ate an excess of sodium and it would slowly drop away. It hasn't, in fact the scale has now increased to 138.8! WHAT? I have been counting my calories rigorously, I eat anywhere from 1200-1350 a day. I limit my sodium and sugar and try and eat lots of protein, fruits and viggies. My diet has not changed in anyway and I am starting to get a little upset! It's hard to see all the hard work not making a difference.

I do weigh every day, same time, same scale. It's not an obsessive thing, it just keeps me accountable for the day ahead. I actually enjoy weighing myself usually and am not mentally effected by the numbers that show up. Until now, that is.

The only thing I can think of is that I increased my running intensity last week and added 30-40min interval training 2-3 times a week depending on how I feel, I also added basic yoga once a week.
Could my body just be retaining water from the increase? Is that even possible? My muscles are not overly sore or anything so I didn't think this could be it.

Ugh, the joys of weight loss
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #2  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

oh no! it is probably the increased exercise that is throwing your body off of it's losing streak. Give it a few more weeks. You know you're doing everything right and your body will eventually catch up.

also, with the intervals/running/yoga you'll be even more fit in a few weeks! look forward to that
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, as you've increased your exercise and added the interval training, your body will retain water as the muscles break down and then repair themselves (that's how you build muscle). I'm sure it's due to that. I know how frustrating it can be though. I've heard that you should expect to retain 5 lbs. of water when you begin an exercise program.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #4  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

There's a great metaphor a member here used and it really stayed with me. Think of your body as a fire. The exercise you do is the air, the fuel is food and the fire is your body. If you do more exercise then you need more food to keep the fire going, you need to find a perfect balance. Your calories are very low for someone who does a lot of exercise, and I know it sounds crazy to up your calories but seriously it works. I was super sceptical at first but I lost a lot of weight when I ate 2000 calories of healthy food since I work out rigorously 6 times a week.

Like Mmckellen said, muscle recovery is another factor that will make you seem like you're gaining. Every time you finish a workout you should drink a lot of water, eat a meal with plenty of protein in or if you have it - drink a protein drink. But water is key before, during and after exercise, your body needs hydration or it will retain the water and make it seem like you're gaining.

I measure myself once a week, it's really helpful because when I stall sometimes my measurements go down. Like now, I've been 163 lbs for 3 weeks now, it's so frustrating, but I've managed to lose 0.5 inches off my boobs and an inch off my stomach!

I hope it helps, hang in there

Last edited by Riestrella; 12-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #5  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Thank you for all your helpful words of encouragement
It is slowly going away now, .2 of a lb at a time it seems. It is truly hard to see your hard work yield a gain on the scale but I am trying to power through it!

Riestrella - Your words really helped me! Although I am slightly hesitant to increase my number of calories still. I do work out a lot but I recently became unemployed so a large part of my day is simply cleaning my place and taking my dog out for a walk. I am not burning near the amount of calories I would be if I was working thus the low calorie intake. Does that make sense or am I just being overly crazy? I will definitely increase my water intake post workout, maybe I am accidentally dehydrating myself.
You sure did give me lots of think about and try! Thank you so much
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote