Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Do you dress your age?

For the last 4-5 years I have hardly bought myself any cute or stylish clothes because of my weight. I typically would look through clearance racks for XXL whatever I could find, usually in the older womens department. I just have not cared. Anything that's big, covers me up, good. And all I ever wear are flip flops because my feet are so darn wide anything else made my feet sore.

But now that I've lost some weight, I am starting to remember what it was like to go shopping at the mall for cute clothes like I did when I was younger... and shoes. When I met my now husband, I always wore cute jeans & heels. It's been 5 years since I've worn heels. Another 20lbs and I might actually buy some!

I am starting to get excited about shopping again, and finally wearing things that make me look closer to my age. It would not surprise me if people thought I was 15 years older than what I am with the clothes I wear right now. Once I lose the weight, I never ever ever want to "let myself go" again.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

In Highschool and for a bit after, I could never find the types of clothes I wanted in my size so I usually ended up with shapeless shirts and baggy jeans that made me look even bigger. After I loss a good portion of weight I went on a shopping spree. I bought all these clothes that I wanted a few years back but couldn't pull off. Fun clothes. And kinda maintained that style for hmm maybe 9 or 10 months. Right now, I'm starting to be drawn into more elegant clothes. Professional and more my age rather then some 18 year old girls style. I'm hesiant to buy more clothes as i'm only 25-30 away from my goal weight and don't want to spend more money getting things altered when it falls off =D...so waiting till I get there and new clothes is one of my rewards.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #3  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

No, I dress like a 60 year old grandma, cause that's what fits.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I always just wore jeans and a huge tee shirt. now I'm buying more clothes in style like skinny jeans and cute tops. When I get to my goal weight I'm going on a shopping spree! Been saving up since I started losing.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #5  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I was so granny and comfy during my overweight years. I only shopped online. I really didn't care if it fit, just as long as it was big and baggy enough not to cling. I just ordered XL shirts and new they would mostly fit.

Now i LOVE looking good and wearing form-fitting clothing. Not revealing, but just nicely-fitting and appropriate for my new size. It took me awhile to STOP shopping online, and actually go in to make sure things fit!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Oh wow, what an interesting thread! I completely agree, I was/still not dressing my age. I would wear jeans (but instead of having them sit on my hips I would find a pair that came up to my stomach so it would 'push' in the fat and hide my belly!) and just plain t-shirts, jumpers or hoodies. Nothing fancy, just plain plain plain. Now I'm starting to wear things that are a bit more interesting, even if it means just layering something up or accessorizing an outfit I'm getting more creative with my look.

I really can't wait to shop once I'm at my goal weight. I'm already browsing online and in catalogues and picking out some more daring clothes - things that have striking colours or patterns. I'm trying to hold off on buying too much in the transition period because it might not fit eventually, but it's hard not to resist sometimes! It sounds lame, but I'm a bit of a nerd and I can't wait to buy t-shirts will funny/cool prints on them. If I wore them now my massive boobs would stretch the print and it makes me look like a giant, so I'm going to buy a load of those too!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #7  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Mmmmmmm I don't think so. I'm 35 in a couple months, I'm a professional, mother of 2 boys.....take a look at my avatar....I think I dress young, but I love fashion and I don't think I look mid 30's haha....I wear what I like and if it fits well. I like sexy too, always have no matter what size.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

I don't and I am waaaay older than anyone on this thread (sorry for crashin' in here for a visit). I wear what I like and age is irrelevant to me.

I think weight is irrelevant, too, and that no one should let their weight stop them from wearing whatever cute clothes they like and can afford. There are wonderful clothes available for all sizes these days and it can really give a person a lift as they are losing weight to look and feel good in their clothing choices as they go along.

Have a great week, all!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #9  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Heck no, I certainly don't dress my age! I'm not a 20 something either- more like 20 X 2 + 4! I'm a fashionista, & I rock junior clothing! I certainly don't act my age either!

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 11-08-2011 at 07:36 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I dress however I like but I'm finding now that I'm thinner I wear more colors and more structured looking clothes. Everything isn't all knitwear like it used to be. I sometime am mistaken for a teenager but I think it's because I'm short with a young face. I want to wear more heels but I'm not there yet.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nothing fit me in HS so I'm reliving those days now . I'm nearly 30 but I shop mostly in the Juniors and sometimes the little girl's section. Oh well!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Um...YES. I used to before, but even more so now.

...Although I think I dress more like a 16 year old than a 23 year old... haha! I just have so much fun finding clothes now that I can't help it!

Unless it's for work. Then I tend to dress my age as some of my students aren't much younger than me.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #13  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I dont necessarily dress my age not because of size issues, but just because I like certain kinds of clothes and certain looks better. I'm a trouser jean or extreme bell-bottom jeans with a tank top and a fitted blazer or thin-knit fitted cardigan type of girl. That's my standard go to gear. With pointy-toed leather flats. This is also pretty much how i dressed at my highest weight too. Its easier to accomplish now, but it was achievable then too. Recently ive broadened my horizons to straight leg jeans (my answer to skinnys) and heels but still with a blazer/cardi and cami but heels for shoes.

I think I could dress this way in my 30s, 40s and beyond too without it looking too young. So actually maybe I am dressing a little older? Oh well... Even at my highest weight I admit I never really coveted juniors styles. I drooled over the Misses offerings at Banana Republic or White House Black Market. I love those kinds of clothes.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 11-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #14  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

What's my age again? :P

I don't believe I *ever* dress my age. I usually wear either too formal clothes (like sweaters, blazers, flowy or lacey dresses... so much so that my boyfriend said I dress like a grandma sometimes. I'm 20. Haha! :P othertimes, I wear tacky/nerdy t-shirts, bright layers. I used to wear skirts and nice pants every day but I'm making an effort to dress like a youn adult :P so now, it's medium-saturation short-sleeve polos, skinny jeans, cute flats. I'm really trying haha. The occasionally cardigan with stripes to try and be edgy and not too grannyish lol.
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #15  
hold the calories

S/C/G: (HW)280 252/ticker/164

Height: 5'8.5

i've always dressed in a way to flatter my body as much as possible in the hope that i would hate it less. if i have days where i just want to be extra baggy/comfy i'd rather just hide myself away
side salad is offline   Reply With Quote