Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #1  
A broad on a mission

S/C/G: sz20/14/8

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Anyone trying to lose weight abroad?

Hey everyone!

I am just curious if there is anyone who is trying to lose weight while either studying abroad/working abroad/moving abroad, etc. If so then we can talk about how challenging to eat healthy & buy groceries in other countries! LOL.
aBroadAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I live abroad - UK in my case, but I've been here almost 6 years now, so my biggest challenge is how to resist the junk food I can get here!

It would be good to find out how others who are abroad are dealing with weight loss though, and if there are any tips and tricks to keep in mind.

I have to say, I've found it easier to get fresh produce here, but more expensive to get the exotics. The easier access to produce is only slightly balanced out by the easy access to loads of yummy cheeses and chocolates that I have had to cut down on.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

Hey!

I actually live in Japan, but it's not a recent move, so don't know if that helps... In the beginning it was hard. I didn't like the local food (no sushi!!)

These days it's not really an issue, perhaps only in terms of calorie counting, as the requirements of nutritional fact information are different, that and I can't get a lot of the products that are marketed as "diet friendly" in Europe and the US, although recently I see this as a pro and not a con. Besides, the locals have their own diet concoctions!!!

Moving abroad has a lot more implications in terms of physical and emotional stability and perhaps ability to communicate and integrate yourself in a new society than food does, at least it's been my experience in the 4 countries I've lived. Also, as long as you have the finances, you can eat like back home in most advanced countries...

Do you live in a big city?
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #4  
A broad on a mission

S/C/G: sz20/14/8

Height: 5' 4.5"

I don't live in a "big" city, but then again I'm from NYC so I might have a different opinion of what 'big' means hahaha But the city I live in is a fairly good size... But buying healthy food is sooooo expensive!! Chicken is ridiculous! At home I can get a package of like 10 pieces for $5. Here it's like 2 euros for one piece! Veggies aren't too bad although they don't have a lot of stuff I really like...

One of the pluses is that I walk everywhere! I like walking so I get a fair amount of exercise without even trying. The biggest negative is that France is known for its pastries, bread & cheese. All of which I LOVE! I've been doing well with the pastries. I think I've had like 2 in a month which is good. But the baguettes are another story! I haven't had one in a few days because I can eat the entire thing (and of course have to have it with cheese lol) and it's not worth the weight gain!
aBroadAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote