Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #1  
No excuses, No regrets.

S/C/G: 278/190/175

Height: 5'9

Default Big changes-SO EXCITED!-Need Advice!

(my apologies for this really jumpy crazy long post... but if you can, please read!)

I feel like a 3FC gypsy! I haven't been able to post in quite a few months... Life just decided to be turned COMPLETELY upside down. Ended up moving out into the middle of nowhere and not having any real internet connection for a while... but I wanted to let you guys know that I have still been reading via-my phone every night. Everyone here is seriously an inspiration to me. In the past 9 months... I quit my job, got a new one, decided to "go for it" when an opportunity to follow a huge dream came along, accepted that I had a drinking problem and changed those habits completely, and decided to finally talk with my doctors honestly about my medical conditions and for once try and see if I could help myself get better.... It might be odd, but reading about you all really did inspire me to keep going.

In fact, I am giving everyone here a LOT of credit for where I am now, and the reason I am "SO EXCITED!" Like I said, life has been insane.... But, I have been working really hard and I am proud to say that in the past 9 months, I have officially lost (okay this feels even crazy to say)....

75LBS!!!!

I still have quite a ways to go... but, for the first time in my life I dont feel so glued to the floor!... I can sit with my feet curled up in my chair!! (ok, i know thats a really dumb thing to be happy about but ever since I was little i have sat all folded up on the couch or with my feet under me in my chair... its just how I am comfortable! but, these past 5 years or so I havnt been able to... and it has been really annoying)

So now that I am able to be back, I just wanted to share, say thank you, and also reach out for some advice!!

When I started this I weighed 278lbs.... as of this morning I now weigh in at 203lbs. My goal is between 175 and 180lbs. My doctor says that would be as low as he would recommend I get for my size and build right now (could change once I get there, but we are just going to cross that bridge then.

Ladies, I need some advice! I just dont know of anywhere else to ask!

Issue #1, Skin--- Yes, skin. The issue being there is an excess of it.... and also a pretty big amount of stretch marks. Is there anything I can do for the extra skin on my arms and stomach? (short of surgery which is not in any way possible because I am broke) its like my skin is waiting to get filled with fat again... (DO NOT WANT. haha.) And also, these stretch marks? Arms, legs, stomach, boobs.... they are everywhere... and seem to be getting worse... any ideas?

Issue #2, Clothes--- Nothing fits... but I'm scared of going shopping. I just dont know where to go or what to do... I had some clothes in the back of my closet that are actually from my senior year of high school/first year of college (note, im 24yrs old now)... I am wearing those jeans right now... Ive been trying to alter and take in anything I can to avoid buying new stuff... I was wearing pant size 20-24 (depending on brand any of those sizes)... I'm somewhere around a size 12 now. Anyone have any tips on where to start when buying new clothes? I"m still going to be losing some more and I dont want to buy a WHOLE new wardrobe again in another 9 months but I'm not going to be able to do much more with what I have right now.

Issue #3, People--- What do i say? I know I look different but I dont think I look THAT different. I know my sizes have changed but otherwise I really dont see any difference in myself daily... but apparently other people do. Especially those I don't see every day.... I want them to know I appreciate them acknowledging that I'm thinner and I appreciate the compliments!... but, some people kinda go overboard and I just don't feel comfortable going on and on about it. I typically reply with "ha, yeah... I've lost a little bit recently! thanks!" but some people wont take that as enough of an answer... anyone have a good way to change the topic or let these people know that it is a little awkward for me? I had someone ask if I had surgery the other day! Talk about awkward... (for the record, I am not against surgery! That was not meant as a bash to anyone who has had weight loss surgery. My father had gastric bypass 8 years ago. For some people that is their best option. I however did not. It has been diet, exercise, and getting my blood sugars and hormones finally in check)

Issue #4, Me---I dont know of a way to stay motivated without obsessing.. and even though the scales and the size numbers have changed, many days I look in the mirror and see the same person i was 75lbs ago.... And lately it has really been working against me when it comes to staying motivated. Anyone have any tips on how to notice changes in myself other than the numbers on the scale?

Okay, like I said, crazy long jumpy post... haha.... Thanks again for all of your inspiration and for any advice you can give me. I think we finally have the internet situation resolved at my new place so i plan on being around from here on out. :-)

xoxo
La Vie
La Vie Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Hey La Vie,

Quick note not much time, but CONGRATS on getting those 75lbs off, amazing progress chickadee.

As for your questions.

#1: There are some good threads in the body issue section. Basically the gist I've gathered from reading though is it does get a little better, but how much better is really not predictable. And theres not much you can do other than moisturizing, losing weight healthfully (ei not super fast) , encorporating exercise. And see how it goes... after losing the wait maintain for a while and hopefully it improves to a point where you can stand it. Stretch marks fade for most people. So if they are that dark crimson colour right now (mine have been when I was growing taller/gaining weight) now they've faded to a whitish colour that mostly blends in with my natural skin tone. I don't know about weight lost ones though.

#2 - Just invest in the basics in your current size that fit, new underwear is a must, a couple pairs of pants for work, one pair of jeans maybe, and afew shirts that fit right now to tide you over. Probably will seem boring to wear the same things over and over but... at least if you are wearing clothes that fit you can feel better about your appearance i think.

#3. Embrace the compliments, smile, enjoy it. Its hard to notice things in yourself without reference.

#4 - you've got me there, I have the same problemo i feel obessessy!
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

CONGRATS....I am in the same boat (although you've lost more weight than I have). Here's my still-trying 2 cents for what it's worth:

ITEM # 1- Loose Skin: I have the same concern and mine is already starting to show. I just decided that I would rather be smaller with loose skin than overweight with the skin filled with fat!!!! Plus, my 3 year old thinks its funny!!!

ITEM # 2- Just did an interim shopping trip this weekend (I've gone from a 22-24 to an almost 16. I fit some 16s but not all). I bought: 3 pairs of black pants, 1 pair of brown pants, 1 pair of gray pants, 1 black sheath like dress (that I can wear under sweaters or dressy jackets), 1 casual black skirt, 2 black sweaters, 1 brown sweater & 1 pink shawl/sweater (it made me feel girly). AND IT WAS ALL LESS THAN $ 75!!!! Don't know if it'll work but I bought a lot of things that would be interchangeable with my jackets and shells that are big but still wearable.

ITEM #3: I knew someone who lost over 125 pounds after tipping the scales at close to 300 pounds (I wasn't much smaller when I started but I was 5 inches shorter ). When ever anyone complimented her on how great she looked, she would small and say "thank you and I feel great." I've been using that line. When people ask me what I'm "doing", I just say "walking and eating healthier" then I change the subject.

ITEM # 4: I'll join the club. I feel like I'm obssessing all the time. I watch programs on exercise & weight loss, I'm online, I'm daydreaming about future clothes (I even watch the corny exercise informercials!!!).

Last edited by free1; 10-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your loss!!! That's incredible and I hope all those changes in your life go well!

1. Just give it time. I've heard that it can take up to a year after major weight loss for your skin to snap back into place. You're still really young so you have that on your side. Just give it time. Also, lifting! I'm not sure if you're doing it already but it can help to some extent. The stretch marks do fade over time.

2. Old Navy! Seriously, I buy a lot there from my in between sizes. Today and tomorrow they are having a sale for 30% off on Old Navy, Gap and banana republic. Why not stock up now on some basics and you can always return something if it doesn't fit right (if you have the cash on hand buy a few sizes and return the ones that don't fit). Also check out thrift stores, that will save you a ton too in the meantime.

3. I have the same issue. I guess just change the subject to something else? No real good advice there, sorry. (

4. Pictures, measurements, mirrors. I take measurements A LOT, I also take pictures at about all of my minigoals. Also, mini-goals are great to have in general. I would wage a guess that maybe your current clothes are an issue too. If you're still wearing a lot of your old clothes you're going ot look A LOT bigger than you actually are. Definitely try to pick up somethings that fit, I know for me it really helps with my motivation. Also, make sure you're wearing a well-fitting bra (band size=underbust measurement) because that will also help take off 10lbs!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I was losing I bought all my clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army or Consignment shops. Saved a lot of money. You can get some good things in those stores sometimes they are brand new. Takes a little looking but will save you tons of money that you can save for a shopping trip when you reach goal.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

Congratulations!!! You're fantastic!

#1: I have the exact same issue and have read that weight lifting can help with loose skin so I've been trying that. I might have to invest in some Spanx tank tops for my flabby belly though. lol

#2: I love TJ Maxx and other discount stores. I've hit some awesome sales and bought a few tops and pants that were a size or two small so I could have something to look forward to and didn't spend much money on. I don't typically have much luck with thrift stores but you could check some around your area. Might just get lucky!

#3: Be PROUD!! Smile and enjoy the compliments! You've earned them!

#4: I have the same problem some days. It just seems to take the brain a while to catch up with your weight loss. What has helped me so far is taking a picture every 1-2 months to compare myself over the span of my weight loss (I can't believe I used to look like my "before" picture! ). Taking measurements would also be motivating. Also don't be shy about checking yourself out in whatever reflective surface is nearby. I try to sneak glimpses of myself at different angles because I have such trouble picturing what I actually look like! I've also found motivation in trying on clothes I would have never worn before, like fitted sexy outfits. Even if I don't buy it I love seeing myself in the dressing room looking sexy!

Good luck and keep up the awesome work!!

Last edited by Riesz; 10-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Woah! Congrats on everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vie Boheme View Post

Issue #2, Clothes--- Nothing fits... but I'm scared of going shopping. I just dont know where to go or what to do... I had some clothes in the back of my closet that are actually from my senior year of high school/first year of college (note, im 24yrs old now)... I am wearing those jeans right now... Ive been trying to alter and take in anything I can to avoid buying new stuff... I was wearing pant size 20-24 (depending on brand any of those sizes)... I'm somewhere around a size 12 now. Anyone have any tips on where to start when buying new clothes? I"m still going to be losing some more and I dont want to buy a WHOLE new wardrobe again in another 9 months but I'm not going to be able to do much more with what I have right now.
I've had this problem myself. My advice is LOOK FOR SALES. Sign up for the newsletters of all of the clothes stores that sell cheap clothes and watch your inbox. Like runningfromfat suggested, Old Navy is a great place to go for sales and I got that email about their sale.

Another piece of advice is: buy things you can wear for a long time. Look for items that—even though they might be big on you—will work as you shrink. I've got a top from Forever21's plus size section that I still wear. All I have to do is wear a tank top under it and I can wear it off the shoulder because it's so big on me now I've also got a few shawl things(not sure what they're called) that still work even though they're 1X and 2X (and I wear mediums now). As long as I have a few tank tops that fit properly it becomes quite easy to repurpose tops.

It's quite a bit easier to do this with tops, but elastic skirts can often fit you through a whole slew of sizes. Buy your pants a little tight if possible, that way they last you longer.

And don't worry about wearing "old" clothes. During the summer I was wearing clothes from middle school (I'm 23) because I didn't want to buy new summer clothes!

Quote:
Issue #4, Me---I dont know of a way to stay motivated without obsessing.. and even though the scales and the size numbers have changed, many days I look in the mirror and see the same person i was 75lbs ago.... And lately it has really been working against me when it comes to staying motivated. Anyone have any tips on how to notice changes in myself other than the numbers on the scale?
Trust me, I know this It's hard to see the change in YOURSELF. I've lost 50 pounds and the only way for me to REALLY see the change is to look at pictures. Find some pictures of yourself, take a new picture and compare. It's amazing!! That can be a HUGE motivator

Last edited by sontaikle; 10-03-2011 at 03:57 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote