3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 20-Somethings

The End of Overeating

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default The End of Overeating

Okay, there is a book called The End of Overeating by David Kessler...

has anyone read it? I'm trying to decide if it's something worth buying...
This was taken from the website for the book.

Quote:
5.The belief that food will make us feel better contributes to our desire for food.

When we expect food to give us pleasure (positive reinforcement) or relief from distress (negative reinforcement), that expectation amplifies the award value. Expecting something to be rewarding stimulates pursuit of that award.

4.In marketing indulgence, the food industry knows something about us that we don't know about ourselves.

By encouraging us to consider any occasion to eat as an opportunity for pleasure and reward, the industry invites us to indulge a lot more often. That theme populates food industry marketing reports and conferences that drive new food products and services.

3.Along with the taste and other sensory characteristics, the location where a specific food has previously been available and the events associated with our past consumption can also become reinforcers.

When this happens, cues (a holiday meal, a favorite restaurant) become as important as the food itself. Cues associated with the pleasure response demand our attention, motivate our behavior, and stimulate the urge we call "wanting."

2.Until you have gained the upper hand over trigger foods, attempts at moderation won't work.

We've become so locked into the cue-urge-reward-habit cycle that we've lost sight of the fact that other responses are possible. For many of us, discovering that there's something else we can do in the face of food stimulation is a revelation.

1.Food scientists have discovered what's called a "bliss point" — the point at which consumers get the greatest pleasure from combinations of sugar, fat, and salt.

When the mix of these three elements is just right, food becomes more stimulating. Eating foods high in sugar, fat, and salt makes us eat more foods high in sugar, fat, and salt.
and then it says something to the extent of get the book to find out what to do. I'm just wondering if anyone has read it and if it has any good advice in it? I'm just trying to find a way to tackle my food addiction...because a lot of the times when I eat, I know I'm not hungry...I just want to eat...and I need to learn to control it.

“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who really make it in this world are the ones who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can’t find them, they make them.”

Last edited by DivineFidelity : 07-27-2011 at 11:58 PM.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #2

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

I had it rented from the library but had to return it before reading it (read the other book I rented) but I intend on checking it out again!

Short Term Goal (by 11/06/12):
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #3

S/C/G: 252/222/150

Height: 5'10

I don't have time to post a more detailed review but I highly recommend it. It takes alot of the guilt away from dealing with food issues by describing the crazy insane extent to which "hyper-palatable food" is addictive and offers practical solutions. The revelations about food science and how our food is constructed to be "irrestable" are shocking.

I will also add the book is very science heavy and can take awhile to read (some chapters are worse than others). It's a book to really take your time with and absorb the information. Probably not the best book to read on the beach while listening to your ipod.

"If it's important to you, you will find a way, if not, you’ll find an excuse." - Unknown

Last edited by Scarlett : 07-28-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Yes yes yes. Get it. I've read it all once, and consulted it many times. Bits that I like are underlined and many pages are dog-eared. For me, it took a lot of the fear out of (non)-dieting. It doesn't have to be about constant deprivation or measurement, just unlearning bad habits and training yourself to see temptation and portion sizes differently.

Plus, he has insane credentials. Doctor, lawyer, FDA commissioner, and surely more. Oh - and he was overweight himself.

S 37-31-43
C 36-29-42
G 38-27-39 (tentative)
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

aaaand I just realized it's right next to my bed as I'm typing this.

S 37-31-43
C 36-29-42
G 38-27-39 (tentative)
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.