Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Default i need some ideas ladies.

i've been depressed for a very long time, years in fact. lately, it's been really bad. i find that my only releases seem to be eating, and shopping. i can't afford to eat, because i really need to lose this weight, and i can't afford to shop because i just don't have the money. the plastic has been a very bad thing.

my question for you girls are, what are some of the hobbies that you're interested in? or what are some things that just make you feel better about yourself, or just make your day better?

i never really took the time to examine hobbies, or interests. i spent a lot of my teenage time in bed, and alone.

ideas? please?
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You are a young, beautiful girl, I don't know if I can help you.I come to 3Fc a lot, keeps me out of the refrigerator and the mall. Besides the forums there are a number of simple games n 3Fc. I also like to read and belong to a book club.These are all things that take my mind off me, simple things,really. Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

I go geocaching. All you need is a GPS and internet. you can google it to get some ideas. Not only is it a lot of fun, but its also active and allows you to get out of the house and the best part is that it really doesn't cost anything!!
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #4  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm usually in a bowling league. I didn't get to join a summer league because of the money but going bowling once a week is fun, plus you meet new people and if you get good enough you can actually win a little bit of money. It's just a fun thing to do. Most bowling alleys have adult leagues that meet at night time or on the weekends. =D

Also, I read a lot, and when I'm super bored I'll play some free MMORPGs like Ether Saga or Mabinogi...nerdy i know...but sometimes it helps to escape to a world where you don't necessarily have to be yourself.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

I love to go to the local pottery studio and paint pottery or canvas art. Really helps me get my mind off of the bad things and just focus on beauty.
It's more relaxing then I ever knew!! When I paint I focus only on that and everything else leaves, even if only temporary.

On the weekends I have gotten addicted to either going hiking or doing something that engages me in physical activity for my one day off of work, my ME day!
During the evenings during the week I go to the gym and zumba and curves!

I'm a firm believer that keeping busy focusing on things that are important to YOU will make you sooo much happier!

I have personally struggled with anxiety and depression for a little over 5 years now and I recently came off of the meds.. personal choice.. I decided I wanted to be ME, not medicated, and find my own happiness! (knowing if it didn't work, I could go back to medical help.)

It's worked so well. I just had to find things to do that made me happy while doing them and eased my mind of all of those things that make it RACE!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #6  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Walking and working out make me feel better.
3FC is a great way to spend time.
Listening to music usually makes me feel better.

Are you being treated for your depression?

Last edited by theox; 07-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I have to stay super busy to avoid depression and anxiety.

I've been training for a 5K and I plan to run 1 a month.

I Yelp and go to Yelp meetups.

I'm very active in volunteering for my college alumni association, but I bet there are other non-college related volunteer activities that are good for having fun and staying busy.

I even go to Synagogue once in a while.

I call my older relatives and listen to them talk about their aches and pains.

Anything that you can put out there for other people will take your mind off your depression, in my opinion. At least that is what works for me!

Oops, I'm not in my 20s, but my social life kind of is.

Last edited by JessLess; 07-05-2011 at 10:10 PM.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #8  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

You have to find something that you can do and be at peace. Exercise has done this for me. I just get lost in it, let everything else go and focus on just what I'm doing at that moment. And I feel pretty badass. Spin class is like my little sanctuary. I also love to read and while I kind of see this as avoidance-mode, it helps me. Picking up one of my favorite books is like leaning on a friend for support. If I can do either of these things (exercise or read) outside, that is also a bonus.

Find an outlet- creative, physical, musical, intellectual, social - whatever helps you just 'be'. Know that you deserve to find that happiness.

And come back to 3FC a lot. These chicks are bomb!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccaleb06 View Post
I go geocaching. All you need is a GPS and internet. you can google it to get some ideas. Not only is it a lot of fun, but its also active and allows you to get out of the house and the best part is that it really doesn't cost anything!!
Thank you for this.. I just looked up what in the World Geocaching was.. and now I'm interested!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

Reading (i used to enjoy self help books), gardening, horseback riding, exercising, organizing & cleaning the house. Mark something off your to-do list when bored. -fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/185/135

Height: 5'4"

I like to cook, so I spend a lot of time looking up healthy recipes to make for my meals. It's fun to try out new recipes!
CaitLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Make sure you are taking a good quality multivitamin. That is a simple thing all people can do to feel better.

Next -- get out and about! Join something in real life. Scouts, hike, food bank volunteer, pottery, class at your local library, whatever. Just has to be NOT on the computer so you can see people and have the chance to make friends and circulate some.

Do something about your spirit. Whether more organized like going to a church, or less formal like spending time outdoors, meditating, journaling, tend to you spirit. It's balance of mind, body, heart, and spirit, not just everything for the body. If your spirit life feels sluggish... get that moving around too.

Ditto body -- if you've been kinda sedentary -- take a walk. It does not have to be this super athlete fitness regime. Just get outside and walk around a bit. Get your blood circulating. I've done water aerobics with all the seniors and that was a hoot. Doing bowling right now.

Learn something new -- cook, garden, embroider... again whether formal like a class or not... get the mind moving around.

Look in all the papers for museum days -- in my town certain days are admission free to residents so things like that do not have to break the budget if you plan for the right days.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #13  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

I take some books and go read it near the lake at my house.
Or just at the balcony of my house.
Basically, I read books

Or baking.
But then again, I avoid to eat what i bake

Last thing, I'll take a shower, then put on makeup and nice clothes, and just go out.

that's pretty much it. Hope you feel better.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #14  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 260/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccaleb06 View Post
Ooh, I geocache as well! It's definitely a blast.
melni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Thanks ladies, you've all listed some interesting ideas. I think one of the hardest parts for me is just getting myself out of bed. I have back problems and my body is just generally full of aches and gains. It makes it difficult to want to get up and move. Regardless thank you for all of your wonderful ideas. Ill have to give them a try.
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote