Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/182/135

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Working in a Restaurant

I feel like my job is becoming a huge distraction from my weight-loss. I work as a waitress in pizza/beer pitcher type joint in a college town. We get free food & beer whenever we want (even on days off), and because I'm paying my way through college, I'm often a little short on money for groceries and the like, so eating there is simply just the most convenient option. I've worked in restaurants since I was 16 (which, conveniently, is when my weight-gain started), and I have a really hard time avoiding the food.
It's especially hard at this particular job, because the servers make the food ourselves, so I have to walk to the kitchen and everything is lined up in front of me (pepperoni, bacon, sausage..mmm..). We serve salads too and I try to eat those when I can, but most of the time during my shift it's faster and easier to just eat a slice of pizza. The worst part is that I excuse myself from it. Usually I reason with myself, saying "Well, I've been working on my feet for 6 hours, so I deserve these two slices of pizza slathered in grease..."
Does anyone else work in a restaurant and have a similar problem? I can't quit my job, so any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!
erikarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #2  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I'm a pastry chef and it's insanely hard to keep myself in check. I don't have a problem with most of the things I make but when it comes to my favorites it's awful. I deal with it by drinking tons of water and trying to stay busy so I don't think about the food.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/142/111

Height: 5'0

I have a side job at a rather high end restaurant doing dishes and I've found that when I'm at work I'm actually less likely to want to eat.

The only time it's somewhat of a problem is when they give me food to take home. The other day for instance they gave me (in addition to the meal they give me during work) a huge box full of mashed potatoes. There must have been four or five servings in there. I hate letting food go to waste so I was determined to eat it but in order to not go over my limits for the day I had to spread it out over four days.

Is it possible to make the food from work fit into your weight loss plan somehow?
coastalvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

I used to work in a coffee and donut shop where we also served sandwiches and soups. I was the baker and, honestly, nothing tastes better than a warm donut straight out of the oven after being glazed. Lol. I also LOVE a good piece of bread (I love carbs! It's a problem). Working there I gained a ton of weight...I wasn't motivated or in the diet mode at the time.

Now I don't work in the food industry anymore but I'm a student. And there is free food being offered all the time! Different groups host events and order pizza or throw parties, etc. Companies come in to try and get us to buy their products, etc. At the office job I held last semester the break room always had yummy baked goods in there that someone brought in to share...and I always indulged. The result? I gained back most of the weight I had lost over last semester.

Here's the thing I've come to realize: the bad stuff that I want to eat? It will always be there. It will always be on sale sometime in the future...I don't need to get it now just because its on sale. I don't need to eat the free pizza or sandwiches now. They'll always be there. And as Kate Moss once said: nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. So when you go to reach for that slice of pizza just take a look down and remind yourself how hard you pushed yourself at the gym or how hard you've been dieting those other meals. Make yourself a salad wrap instead of a salad (may be easier to eat that than a salad...all you would need to buy is the pita pockets or whatever).

Also, make sure that you're making the salads tasty. You don't want to get bored by them! Add bacon or feta to them (obviously in moderation). Make them more appealing to yourself.

Trust me, I know its hard but no matter where you work or where you go there will be food temptations. We just have to learn to avoid temptation when possible and when not possible...to be mentally strong enough to refrain from it.
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/288/150

Height: 5'4

I totally hear you. I worked at a restaurant for a long time (I started off thin and then a couple years in I started gaining weight) and this restaurant is "known" for its fried chicken and family style dinners. Mash taters, buttered noodles, corn, fried chicken... all free to us. We even got free ice cream on Sundays and holidays.

It was SO HARD to eat properly there because 98% of the food wasn't healthy.

Also, I know what you mean about rationalizing stuff... It's like my brain has a mind of its own sometimes.

Maybe if you make like... smaller salads that are quick and easy to eat and you have a couple throughout the day?
Michigan Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

My family has owned a small restaurant since I was 9... And so I've been working there for as long as I can remember. It explains so much. From the time I was 16 I worked at sonic for six years!!!! All that ice cream and good food... I've been destined to be big lol. Even now I have a career and still work weekends for mom. it has taken, and still is taking, so much will power to stay away from the food. It is totally possible you just have to make yourself eat that salad
If I can do it, anyone can!! I believe in you!!!

Last edited by mhill0823; 06-06-2011 at 01:14 AM.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote