Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Cabbage Soup Diet

My husbands family is all thin, and they go on the cabbage soup "diet" every 6 months or so to detox, and clean out their systems. One of their doctors recommended it. I have been counting calories and was considering doing it to boost up my motivation, and hope to get this sugar addiction over with. Anyway, are there any suggestions or caution anyone has for this? I will go right back to low cal after the week is over, and hope to keep SOME of the weight off that I lose from it. Weight loss is simply Calories in< Calories out= losing weight...
briters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Well, I can recommend it only if by "clean out the system" you mean diarrhea and foul gas (to the point that I even disgusted the cat and could barely stand my own company).

Seriously, veggie/cabbage soup for more than a meal or two tends to wreak havoc on my digestive system (and hubby threatens to sleep in another room - with the cat).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I dont know how long the diet is, but wouldnt just having cabbage soup for an extended period of time just make you malnutritioned rather than "detoxed"? I'm surprised a doctor would recommend a detox
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have done the cabbage soup diet. You will get really, really, tired of it afrer a day or two. there is nothing magical about it. A healthy, well balanced low calorie diet will have better results.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-30-2011 at 08:00 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #5  

I used to try this all the time, and I've found I do lose weight but it's just water. As soon as I start eating normally again, I gain it back. And it's not like I start stuffing myself with junk either. Plus I am always irritable and I feel hungry all the time. An hour after I eat the soup, I am hungry again.
Ashley868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #6  
getting there

S/C/G: 325/273/200

Height: 5'8

I made the soup a couple months ago for my boyfriend and I and hes the only one who ate it. I couldn't stand it... I'm not picky either, but something about all the tomato juice..blah. I don't see how anyone could eat that and only that for more than a few days.
nikkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 159/149/125

Height: 5' 2 1/2"

My advice-- to kick the sugar addiction, South Beach Diet. Takes a bit of planning, and the first two weeks are a bit tough, but it works...for me, anyway. Bleh...Cabbage soup....
oddreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Well, I can recommend it only if by "clean out the system" you mean diarrhea and foul gas (to the point that I even disgusted the cat and could barely stand my own company).

Seriously, veggie/cabbage soup for more than a meal or two tends to wreak havoc on my digestive system (and hubby threatens to sleep in another room - with the cat).
This, even just eating regular cabbage results in being too gassy to see other humans/life forms!

Stuff yourself with protein and vegetables and keep carbs low. The protein-vegetable-starch rule of what constitutes a "meal" is not static. It may seem counterintuitive at first to eat chicken + tofu + eggs and a pile of veggies with no starch or carb on the side, but you get used to it and eventually don't crave carbs.

I have dealt with 8-lb-overnight gains, sugar headaches and canker sores as a result of eating 5000+ calories of sugar in a day/night, and this is what has worked for me.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddreee View Post
My advice-- to kick the sugar addiction, South Beach Diet. Takes a bit of planning, and the first two weeks are a bit tough, but it works...for me, anyway. Bleh...Cabbage soup....
This! SB works wonders for the cravings. I used to be a slave to McD's french fries and frappe's, cheesy bread from Domino's, fruit, and gourmet desserts at lunch time . SB helped me forget all about these foods. Those 2 weeks will seem hard but if you are truly looking to get rid of your cravings I think this is the most painless way to go.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddreee View Post
This! SB works wonders for the cravings. I used to be a slave to McD's french fries and frappe's, cheesy bread from Domino's, fruit, and gourmet desserts at lunch time . SB helped me forget all about these foods. Those 2 weeks will seem hard but if you are truly looking to get rid of your cravings I think this is the most painless way to go. You will begin to crave the good stuff instead.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

I've tried the cabbage soup diet before. I made it to day 5. I lost 4lbs, but gained 6 back! LOL. I wouldn't really recommend it. My stomach was a mess, and I was starving. It also triggered about 3days of binging. Hence the 6lb gain afterwards. I think it all depends on the person, but I haven't heard a lot of success stories, about it.

I'm a sugar addict as well, but I find if I allow myself small amounts of sugary things, it keeps me from going crazy and eating tons of junk. If I try to restrict sugar completely out of my diet I will fail.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Wean yourself off the sugar, imo. Replace the sugary things in your life with less sugary versions, and your tastes quickly adapt to the less intensely sweet taste.

For example:

Chocolate Bar -> Dark Chocolate roasted almonds, or a small piece of dark chocolate, which is much less sweet than your average candy bar and just as satisfying.

Ice cream -> frozen low sugar yogurt, or creamy greek yogurt without added sugar. Or even a 10 calorie jello with some light cool whip on top.

Ice pops -> portion of any frozen fruit, grapes being the most awesome

Sugary granola bars -> Some nuts with a couple dried cranberries/raisins thrown in.

Cookies and cake-like things are harder to substitute, and I would typically say cut these out altogether, as they tend to trigger more cravings, in my experience. If you can, buy a single portion of whatever you want and factor it into your calories every once in a while, so you don't get used to eating it all the time. Makes it more enjoyable, too.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #13  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

If I was going to do a detox I'd just stick with organic fruits and vegetables rather than force myself to eat something gross.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

You may also want to consider buying a sugar substitute for your coffee/tea/baking, etc.

Otherwise, I agree with those who recommend a SB plan. It did wonders for me kicking my cravings. I also eat protein bars that have some sugar/carbs in them, so I get some sweet in my day, but am still losing weight.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i think if i were to do a detox i would either get one of those systems or just eat fruits and veggies.

i have actually been thinking of going on a system. anyone know any good ones?? maybe i should start a thread to ask! thanks!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote