Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #1  

Default Grocery shopping and eating everything in sight

Not too long ago I stopped bringing "snacks" to work. I eat small meals throughout the day and I want to make sure I'm prepared. But I was finding that if I had food there, I was always watching the clock, waiting for the next time I could eat! Its like if the food is there, my goal is to eat it. There are times when I'm not hungry but I eat just because there's food in my line of sight. But if it's not there, I don't go out of my way to FIND food. If that makes any sense.

Well i've found that I do the same thing at home. I grocery shop, I put everything away, and find myself wondering, ok what should I eat first? How do I teach myself that food is there to be eaten at mealtimes and when I'm hungry?? I don't know if it's boredom or what, but I find that I want to eat if I know there's food around. Does that make any sense??
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

It makes perfect sense to me because I have the exact same problem! And it doesn't even matter if it's a super awesome food, or something as stupid as yogurt. The fact that I've decided I can eat it (at some point in the future) that means that I must eat it now!

I can't really offer any sound advice, since I obviously need advice as well. The only thing that helps me is to constantly put myself in check. I have to tell myself that I'm not hungry, I don't need it, I'll regret it, etc.
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasons View Post
It makes perfect sense to me because I have the exact same problem! And it doesn't even matter if it's a super awesome food, or something as stupid as yogurt. The fact that I've decided I can eat it (at some point in the future) that means that I must eat it now!

I can't really offer any sound advice, since I obviously need advice as well. The only thing that helps me is to constantly put myself in check. I have to tell myself that I'm not hungry, I don't need it, I'll regret it, etc.
HAHA I have the same problem with yogurt! And CLEMENTINES! I'm like, oh there it is, must consume it NOW! LOL And then later I get hungry and I'm like, why don't I have any food??
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I don't play nicely with small meals or snacks, especially at work. I need rigid mealtimes or else I get the same way, obsessing over when I can eat again. I basically need to eat and drink enough at a meal to feel almost uncomfortably full, or else I will feel that I "need" to keep eating.

Awesome progress by the way, tiffany! I'm looking to get about where you are, I was almost there at Christmas. Sigh.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I read a quote on here that went something like this: You can always eat it later so there's no need to eat it all right now.

I loved it and think about it when I'm in this very situation.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/170.0/140

Height: 5'7.5"

Heh, I'm totally this way with chewy granola bars. Doesn't matter what kind they are--if they're chewy, I'll eat the box in a day. I do kind of the same method of reasoning: "If I buy one box a week, it doesn't matter if I eat them all on one day or one every day." This is, of course, a lie, and my solution has been to give up chewy granola bars entirely. It's sad, but it was necessary. Only the hard Nature Valley ones from now on.
Hotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/171/140

Height: 5''0

I have had the same problem...also I have that nasty habit of trying to stuff myself because food is left on the plate..like I don't want to waste it..but I know I'm already full...Its a mess LOL

Even though I'm doing ALOT better, I think maybe you should just try and get a small hobby to occupy you in between things...or even cut your snacks in half so you can virtually always eat something because it will be such small amounts!
MrsCLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

OMG!!! i am like that too!! i always thought i was the only one. everytime i go grocery shopping and i come home with all this "new" food, i want to take a bite out of everything to try it!!!

maybe its a girl thing and we like new things?! i know that when i actually find a couple shirts i like and its new, all of a sudden i want to wear them all RIGHT AWAY.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Currrent:287

Height: 5'4

OMG! It seems like we all have this issue not many answers lol I have this exact problem as well. I obsess about when is the next time im going to eat even with diet food. It gets tiring im just so tired of food honestly but I love it. When I was on plan successfully for at least 5 days on the 5th night I ended up taking my grandmother to the hospital and I just felt the need to eat alot of anything! I pratically ran to the parking lot after 20 mins of waiting. Any other time I walk to the car but im tired of food always being my GOAL
imtryingtotry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #10  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaella View Post
OMG!!! i am like that too!! i always thought i was the only one. everytime i go grocery shopping and i come home with all this "new" food, i want to take a bite out of everything to try it!!!

maybe its a girl thing and we like new things?! i know that when i actually find a couple shirts i like and its new, all of a sudden i want to wear them all RIGHT AWAY.
Oh gosh, this is me too. I almost started a post about this very thing, just the other day.

I really hate grocery shopping because when I get home, I want to nibble a little bit of everything, hungry or not. This is all such a mind game really. I'm not hungry when I go to the store, I make sure of that. I also only get what's on the list, and I don't buy any junk.

However, this weird "habit" hasn't changed for me whether I was buying junk or not. I wish I had some advice for you all, but sadly, I don't.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #11  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think theres a fine line between being anxious about when you can eat something and whether or not you'll be able to, and just plain loving food and being excited about it i'm still trying to find the balance myself, but i think its ok to be excited about having some of your favourite stuff in the fridge. For me I have the same issue with getting kinda anxious about being able to eat stuff and not being allowed to finish the whole thing. Which doesnt make sense logically but its true
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #12  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

That reminds me of a cat, you know when you put food in their bowl they scarf it down the second it hit the bowl even if they aren't hungry. It's like they feel if they don't eat it fast enough it's going to be gone and they wouldn't have gotten the chance to enjoy it later.

Stop obsessing over it, go do something else instead of thinking about food all the time. Keep yourself busy. When you get home from the grocery store, grab a fruit set it aside put all your food away and then eat it when you are done unpacking everything. When at work maybe bring a few more little snacks (like celery or carrots to snack on between the meal times so you don't obsess over it much.)
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

lol.. maybe i subconsciously think that if i dont eat it right away, someone else will eat it and i wont get any!!
but i used to do this when i lived alone too....
its great to know i am not alone!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote