Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Feeling icky, nothing tastes good!

I don't know if I'm sick or what. But for about a week now I've just felt kind of yuck. It's not an upset stomach, and I wouldn't even call it nausea, it's just an icky feeling that won't go away. Almost nausea, but more like slight carsick feeling, lol. It's such a vague feeling that I've been wondering if it's just in my head or not, but it's a strong enough "feeling" that I really don't think I'm imagining it, lol. I started a normal TOM three days ago but it hasn't gone away. This isn't a typical TOM symptom for me though.

Furthermore, I have a perpetual bad taste in my mouth. The foods I normally love taste bland/tasteless or gross. I still have an appetite, but when I eat, the food is just kinda gross. I've tried eating random stuff with strong flavors (turkey Italian sausage, horseradish mustard, coffee, etc) and nothing is helping. I've brushed my teeth and gargled with mouthwash several times a day trying to get rid of it.

I've also had <ahem> issues with regularity for the last few weeks, but that's normal for me on my TOM. I've heard that constipation can mess with sense of smell/taste? ( gross!) But no other symptoms, no cold or flu symptoms. Just a very very slight nausea and yucky taste in my mouth.

Not really sure if you guys have any idea of what this could be...I'm mainly just venting because it's ticking me off.

Last edited by mkendrick; 04-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Megan - you've had one or two big things happening in your life (we Brits like understatement) so I should think you're feeling a bit shaken up. Feeling icky sounds pretty normal to me, given the circumstances.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3  
in development

What's the ick level like today?

Have one of these. If you don't need it now, save it until later.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #4  

You might have picked up a stomach bug.
Try some Pepto Bismol tablets, or get some candied ginger.

If you have a Trader Joe's, a health food store, or an import store near you.... they probably sell crystallized ginger. Just eat a piece every few hours.
Both help to settle a queasy stomach and intestinal discomfort.

Constipation can make you sick. The health food store should sell raw pumpkin seeds. They don't have shells. A couple of tablespoons every day helps keep one regular. It's an old Indian remedy.

If you search the internet for 'pumpkin seed remedy' you will see all the health benefits they have.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I had that carsick feeling and bad taste in my mouth with both pregnancies. I know you said you had a weird TOM, and while it's rare, that can happen. Just saying... Given your current circumstances, I'm hoping you are just plain ok.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #6  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

You know, when I first started my nursing program here in Arizona one of my first clinical patients complained of the same problems. She stated that she wasn't feeling herself, she wasn't eating anything unusual, same daily routine--nothing had changed. I remember flipping through my symptoms book trying to figure this craziness out! She had already tried many of the tings you said you had done. Her problem ended up being quite serious and led to needing to have something removed (I'm not telling you what so as to keep you from worrying about it) thus the experienced nurses and doctors took her out of my care. Some of the things I checked with her that weren't in my books was what was going on in her life. Many times there are repressed events that have happened that can cause a slight uneasiness in the body. This is usually followed with loss of appetite-and you said you are still feeling the need to eat. It could also be change of seasons. This messes with us just as much as it does for our pets. You might consider a quiet slow-paced walk, take in some sun, but not too much. No smells (unless sunscreen is required), no music, not uncomfortable clothing-possibly normal footwear too. Something relaxing can often times calm the system. I look at the hollistic approach much more than the medicinal but if you are not feeling back to normal in a week or so I would suggest asking your doctor to check on your "homeostatic embodiments."

Good luck!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Thanks guys, I have been under a LOT of personal stress the last few weeks (as some of you know). My little world has been thrown upsidedown. So I have considered just plain old stress as a possibility.

I don't have any of the nausea feeling today (I don't even want to call it nausea, it was just a veeeery slight queasy feeling that wouldn't go away).

But my taste buds are still on strike. I eat a bowl of oatmeal with my lunch everyday. I LOVE my oatmeal. I make it sweet and cinnamony. But all of a sudden, I just can't taste it at all. I make it the exact same way as I always do (two sweetener packets, a bit of honey, and some cinnamon), and I've tried adding more flavor to it. It's the weirdest thing...I stop and try to smell it, I take a bite and try really hard to taste it. I haven't completely lost my sense of taste, I made a cajun chicken dish last night, and I could taste the spices. But everything that is supposed to be very flavorful suddenly tastes bland to me. If it were sound, it would be like if somebody turned the volume down really low so you could kind of hear it but have to try really hard to make anything out. I can kind of taste things, but I have to try really hard to, lol.

It's such an odd problem to have. I really can't decide if I'm just imagining it or not. I don't know why my tongue is malfunctioning!
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #8  
in development

Poor you, Megan. Not nice.

I go along with stress as the cause. When we're under stress our senses may operate less well in order for the rest of the body to function. For me, it's my hearing which goes. Unless I really concentrate, I just don't hear what's going on. I've also had the absence of taste where everything tasted like cardboard. Do you know the expression "it turned to ashes in my mouth"? Used when someone has a huge shock or disappointment.

Have another of these. Try to be kind to yourself.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-07-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 251/238/151

Height: 5'5"

Ya my immediate thought was are you pregnant? My mouth tasted like a vitamin, kinda metallic, when Im preggo. Hope you are feeling better!
Ishisnowcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

You poor thing.. you've been under a ton of stress lately. Sounds to me like anxiety.

Take care of yourself, okay?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote