Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Question What do you do at the gym?

Due to gaining some lost weight back, I'm trying to re-evaluate my gym strategy. So what do you guys do at the gym to get good results?

Right now I go about 4 days a week. I do a 30min HIT on the elliptical, which gets my heart rate up to about 160-170 the whole time. Then I do 30min fast-walking on the treadmill, since I have a really hard time running, then either 30 minutes on the recumbent bike with intervals or 30 minutes on a cross-trainer. After that I usually either do a leg, arm, or ab weight circuit. Light weights with high reps for toning. On my off days, I do a 15min ab/thigh workout on my stability ball. Of course whether I get my at-home workouts done depends on if my dad decides to be a jerk that day or not.

My boyfriend is trying to tell me that I don't really need to do so much cardio. I should just do one type of cardio and only really need it for 30 minutes. He also says if I'm just trying to lose weight the weight lifting isn't helping, but I want to tone up as well. I'm not sure about his advice though, because he's a weight lifter and hasn't been able to lose his mid-section weight because he only does cardio 30min/3 times a week.

So once again, what does everyone here do? And what can I do for better results? Thank you!
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I try to burn at least 500 calories through cardio 6 days a week. I usually end up doing more though. To burn 500 cal on the elliptical it take about 40 minutes. I'll usually finish out an hour.

To lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Burn more calories, eat less calories, lose weight. Additionally, lifting weights does help if you are trying to lose weight. Muscle helps you burn more calories throughout the day. I also feel as though it has kept my metabolism up despite a continued low calorie diet.

Good luck to you!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I usually eat about 1200 calories a day. Most of my calories in the morning/early afternoon with small dinners. I think I probably need to eat more, just because 1200 seems like way too little. But I even have a hard time eating that much. I usually have to force more down and feel sick after I eat. The only change to that has been this weekend, when my boyfriend wanted fast food two days in a row. I couldn't even finish it, though.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/238/151

Height: 5'5"

I don't think 1200 calories is really enough for most people, its the bare minimum. I lose more consistsntly around 1500, or even 1600.

I do couch to 5K every other day. 3 days a week, sometimes 4 I add in arms and abs. I also do an hour of yoga on Saturday's. I think you are doing to much for the small amount you are eating! Weight loss is much more about what you put in your mouth than what you do in the gym.
Ishisnowcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Just looking at your gym routine, I think it's pretty intense, especially for the amount you are eating. Maybe you should play around with that. When I increased my workout frequency, I upped my calories from 1300/day to 1400-1500/day. I also agree it's heavy on the cardio and maybe you should add in some more weight training or body circuits. I'm sure you've heard this before, but building muscle is beneficial for burning more calories throughout the day, while with cardio you only burn calories during your workout.

I try to work out 5-6 days per week for 40-50 minutes each time. Three days per week I do a couch-to-5k workout (25 mins of walk/run intervals) plus three sets each of leg extensions and leg curls using a weights machine. On the other three days I do a whole-body weights workout using light weights and body circuits. In the last few weeks that has either been Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones (not at the gym but in my home), "Strength Training for Busy People" from about.com, or a Body Tone class at my gym.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

love thi stread! i just went to the gym for my very first time ver tuesday, i do my jillian videos at home becuase i'm not a people person but my friend dragged me to the gym and i was sure i would hate it but actually i loved it! i did 20 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the bicycle and 20 mins on the gazzelle thingy that thing was hard core! thats all i did though becuase i'm focusing on cardio right now! all in all i burnt around 600 calories which would be awesome if i ate enough! i'm fixing to start a protien shake for breakfast again becuase i used to do it and it helped me lose weight faster!
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #7  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I take several classes, kickboxing, body pump, step, use elliptical and treadmill i also use weights I try to keep my workouts as diverse as possible because I get bored.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote