Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #1  

Default Needing some friends!

Hi all!
I read that the 20-somethign forum is the place to be!

I am 24 years old and am looking to lose around 40 lbs right now but honestly don't even know where to start...there's so many options and diets, etc.

I am doing the couch to 5k plan and watching what I eat but I have a feeling that's not going to get me 40lbs lighter anytime soon.....

So what are you guys doing to get the weight off?
(Is there a certain forum or thread someone can direct me to where you all discuss how you are losing the weight?)

It's really good to be around others my own age who are in my shoes...it's tough to be young and overweight. Tomorrow I start back for spring semester at school and it honestly sucks when I see all the girls and how small they are....I'm sick of always thinking in my head..." I want to look like that"....I am going to get there!!!

Anyhow, hope to get to know some of you! I really need some accountablility and can give it also, so hope I can find that here!
Jenchick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Jen,

Welcome and good luck.

I think it all really depends on you for to choose a plan you can work with. If you don't like restrictions calorie counting can work, if you have insulin issues like diabetes you might want to think about lowering your carbs, etc. I personally eat lower carb (under 100 grams a day) and that's what works for me.

I also exercise as well- running on my treadmill or exercise videos- they are great
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jen!

Like beerab said, there are forums for every kind of diet - it's your choice! I tend to stick around here more, but I am a calorie counter, so I pop over to Calorie Counters to see what's going on there everyday.

I'm counting calories (1600-1700/day + breastfeeding) & then trying to do my dance workout DVD 3-4 times a week. I'm looking to lose 30 more lbs.

Good luck in your weight loss journey!!
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

Hi Jen welcome and good luck on your journey! First of all I have to agree with you and how hard it is being in your 20s and being overweight especially seeing all the girls you have always dreamed of being... hmm well this is a great place to be I am new to it too but it has been a major help in the last week or so I have been back here and lost weight and am convinced this is a huge reason why this site can and will help you if you allow it to. As far as what diet you should follow... everyone is different the best advice I can give you is to make it something you can stick with me, personally, I am counting calories and am taking in about 1200 a day +/- a few and I also am starting to work out 4-5+ times a week. Just check out the different forums here there is lots of great info and your sure to find something you want to try.
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 161/143/120

Height: 5'1.5"

Jenchick11, I feel like I could have written your post! I'm in my twenties and looking to lose about forty or so pounds too. It's weird, everyone says these are your "peak" years, but I certainly hope not! I'm also in a sorority, so, trust me, there are plenty of opportunities to compare bodies, etc.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm qualified to give advice yet, but what I did last time (and it worked and I'm trying it again) is simple calorie counting! I'm already a pretty active person, so I didn't focus very much on exercise. But the Couch to 5k plan looks awesome - best of luck with that!

I can't wait to see you around the forums more!
shadetree20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #6  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Everyone is different, I don't count calories I just kind of watch the junk I put in my mouth and how much food I eat in monterations. I workout though and had been doing workout video's at first and now have decided to get into the gym which I LOVE! I've lost 20 so far, and need another 20 to lose. But what I do may or may not work for other people.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #7  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Jen! If you search through this forum for your weight "decade" (220s, 170s, 140s, etc.), then you'll find others who weigh around the same as you and that's definitely been one of my favourite ways of meeting people here and making friends.

I also calorie count and watch my sodium intake. Like others said, though, it's an individual thing. You might want to try out a few different approaches before settling down with one.

Good luck! Hope to see you around.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #8  
Pinkie Pie Pony

S/C/G: 194/180.2/125

Height: 5'5

Default Same here!

I've got at least forty pounds to lose. I'm 20. I am doing basic calorie counting. My friend introduced me to livestrong's daily plate which has been helpful to her and I'm hoping can be helpful to me too.
Good luck on your journey!
Goody3shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I've been lurking here quite a bit, but overall i'm new to this forum as well. I think the best thing you can do is just read a bunch of stickies that are posted around this website. Those will let you know the cold hard science of how our bodies work. Things like there are 3500 calories in one pound of fat, so in order to lose weight there has to be a caloric deficit (through eating better and working out). There is so much more to learn as well, but my biggest piece of advice is to just take it day by day. Pay attention to your body. If you are hungry, eat something healthy. The point is not to starve or torture yourself. It's to learn how to treat your body in a better way...and your body will treat you better in the sense that you will see the changes you want to see.

I look forward to seeing you around!
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote