Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #1  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Anyone else prefer working out by themselves?

I have a coworker that will sometimes meet me at the gym. I like her as a person, but I hate her as a workout buddy. We end up doing a lot of talking about work, which is fine, but we don't really bump up the workout. Yesterday we walked for 2 milese and I barely broke a sweat. She doesn't have much weight to lose so maybe she isn't into more intense workouts? Often times we walk on the treadmill, sometimes we'll jump on the elliptical. Personally, I'm an arctrainer kind of girl.

I know I could ask her to do something more intense, but at that point I would just rather workout by myself and listen to my ipod. Anyone else feel like this? I'm not really sure how I approach her about this. Any thoughts?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

This ^^ is the major reason I NEVER workout with anyone else...different goals/intensity levels.

Just be honest...it really IS the best policy You both can always find OTHER ways of spending time together!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #3  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Totally agree! I go to the gym with my husband, but we have an agreement that we're each going to do our own thing and meet up at the end. I would hate feeling like I have to do the same machines he does, and when I go to the gym, I want to work so hard that I'm breathing too heavily to hold a conversation

I'd bring it up kind of casually - like, maybe one day if she wants to walk on the treadmill, you might say "I feel like using the Arctrainer today - do you mind if we meet up in a little bit?" You never know - she might be feeling the same thing you are, looking for a way to get a harder workout in
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Nope I'm fully with you. I hate working out with people I refuse to work out with people for the reason of chit chatter and plus i'm more of a lone wolf. I don't do gyms though either hence the workout video thing. I might start the gym when I get extra cash in, but I'll probably just do the classes here and there and not go inside where the workout machines are.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #5  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

YES. I tried the gym-buddy, and it doesnt work. We talked too much. I just want to work out and be done with it! This is another reason I now work out at home...
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Oh I hate working out with anyone. Since Ive been on this journey a while Ive had random drop ins want to work out with me over the months and I never turn them down but I dont feel comfortable and a few even try to talk me in to going out to eat after. What the heck?
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I definitely prefer working out alone, though it's nice to have walking buddies sometimes. Can you meet in the middle, do something warmup-esque together and then part ways and do your own things?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #8  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm with all of you. I hate working out with someone. I either feel like I'm trying to catch up if they are in better shape and working harder, or I feel like I'm not working as hard as I should if they are not to the level I'm at. If I'm walking the neighborhood, it's OK as that's usually an extra . . . just move . . . not my actual workout.
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm totally a solo girl. Sometimes when I go to my gym in NJ I see people I know and we chat on the elliptical, but its just chatting, not intense conversations. I also tend to let them do most of the talking

I'm all for having someone to go to the gym with - ie to walk in the door with - but I'd much rather leave them at the door. I want to do what I want to do...and they should feel the same.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #10  
I CAN DO THIS!!!!!

S/C/G: 233/ticker/133

Height: 5'6.5

I perfer to work out on my own also. That is why I have been staying home on working out with Just Dance and on the Wii Fit.
ATXchic924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #11  

I pretty much work out on my own as well. Sometimes Ill go with my husband and like smisen already said, we have an agreement that we do our own thing. At the very end we'll meet up. Sometimes I ask him for help with the ab machines since Im not sure how to use them correctly. But most of the time we just meet up when we're getting ready to leave.

I feel like I get a more intensive workout in when its just me and my music thats it. Otherwise I get distracted.
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #12  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

The only time I ever workout with a partner is when I go for walks with my mom. She keeps up a faster pace than I do when I'm alone (she does 11-12 minute miles, I do 13-15 minute, when together we average 12-13 minutes), so it kicks my butt a little more than normal and sometimes it's nice to have somebody to talk to. For the most part, though, I prefer working out alone, whether it's outside, in my room, or at the gym. Much easier to get distracted when there's people who aren't quite as into it as you are working out with you.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #13  
Heck Yes!

S/C/G: 235/231/165

Height: 6'0

I prefer an accountability buddy rather than a workout buddy. That way my butt is in the gym but it's me, myself, and I doing the work not having to feel awkward about chatting. I tried the workout buddy, it was great for like 5 mins. I even tried going with my mom. No bueno. Now it's: Just make sure you hold me responsible for going to the gym, and we're good.

You might want to talk with you friend and tell her how things are going. Or cut it down to training with her once a week.

Happy workouts!
yesimhappilymarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #14  
aml
...okay, so...

S/C/G: 200/173/150

Height: 5'7"

i definitely prefer working out alone, but its because i get all sweaty and red-faced and don't want anyone else to be forced to look at that. the other day my boyfriend's brother came into the gym right in the middle of my running so i'm sure i looked on the verge of death, he just kinda politely waved and went on his business
aml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I work out alone, "I prefer my music because I can't talk and keep a pace that makes the workout worth anything." is my excuse, but honestly it's a self-confidence thing. I prefer to be only competing with myself. If I took my best friend up on her offer to go together, I'd spend the entire time wishing I had her marathon-runner with perfect curves body. I don't need the hit to esteem, and my workout tunes are pretty rockin' anyway.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote