Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default Question for you 20-somethings WW

So I'm thinking about re-joining WW since they've revamped their points.

Its partially to kick myself in the butt, but mostly to kind of be supportive to my baby sister who's really overweight. She needs all the support she can get, and I figure if we do something together, even though we're not in the same place (I'm in MD, she's in NJ) it will help her out.

So - my question to you ladies who have done WW before and are now going over to the new PointsPlus - how do you like it? Do you notice a difference or is it pretty much the same?

I'm kind of intrigued by the fact that they're now considering protein and carbs as well as fat.

My plan is to go to a free meeting next week and just scope it out, but I wanted to see what you ladies thought of it before that.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/203/165

Height: 5'5

I do WW online. I love the new system - to me it is so much easier to eat better and not just less. Since the new system started I've lost .5 per day, but I don't know how much of that is due to me eating better in general or the new plan. Personally, I'm really excited about the change as I think carbs/protein/fat/fiber are a better judge of nutritional value.
oppscdaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #3  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Hey Stella.
I've done the last WW plan from the beginning of my weight loss. That and determination got me to -50 pounds, so I like it.

I just started the new plan (Day 3) and the 0pt fruit (a change from the last plan) has me a bit worried! haha. It's just too good, you know? Basically you are allowed to eat some fruit until you are satisfied (not 15 bananas! but if a banana and an apple with your sandwich makes you satisfied, go for it).

Basically PlusPoints are a bit higher than Points from the last plan for somethings like a certain brand of popcorn I've been getting went from 1pt to 3pts for example, but something like chicken breast stayed the same in points. So 100 calorie packs went up in points. See what I mean? Calories don't factor in anymore.

Also the weekly points allowance went from 35 to 49 and the daily min went from 18 to hm.. don't quote me, and I hope another WW can correct me, but was it 29? And I guess the extra fruit calories we'd be eating were figured into that daily amount supposably. So I went from 27 points on the old plan back up to 35 on the new one .

I'm having a bit of trouble with that, as I think I've been a bit naughty when it comes to free fruit and more points to play with. I used to spend 7 or more points a day on fruit and veggies, so you can see where I can play right now until I am used to it again.

So yeah, a novel, but I hope it helps! I think the free fruit and lots of 0pt options really help out when someone is starting a weight loss plan. It's something to build future weight loss plans off of since those 0pt things are healthy foods like veggies and fruits, and not processed stuff or items with higher fat content like avocado or nuts, that throw some people off.

Just my

Last edited by zanheltangia; 12-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

Thank you both for your responses.

It does make sense.

I'm not a big fruit eater anyway, and 0 point vegetables kind of make sense to me - the veggies I eat are so low calorie anyway, I get it.

I've sort of stalled on calorie counting, so my intent for this is that it will help me focus more on nutrition, which I believe is what my body needs right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I think it's a good idea. My mom has been on WW (on and off forever, but on completely for the past 3 years) and in July I decided I needed to commit to something and I joined. We live in different cities, but coincidentally we go to different meetings at the same time each week. So we text each other right away with out loss or gain. And then when I visit her for holidays and on some long weekends, we go together to her meeting.

As for the new plan, I'm liking it so far. I was getting away with a lot of eating less, because I wanted the "bad" stuff. This plan seems to keep that in check. It makes sense.

As for the 0 pt fruit worries - we didn't get fat from eating fruit.
Let us know how it goes and join us in the WW thread!!!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

Eh, I got fat from eating too much of everything, including fruit
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #7  

haha, well it's better to eat too much fruit than too many french fries! or cake! Or loads of other things!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

Well that's what I always liked about Weight Watchers...

they don't label food as "good" or "bad." You have this allotment, and you can spend it however you want, just don't go over. I hate the whole good vs bad food distinction, doesn't go well with my brain. I think that's why it will work for my sister, as well. Nothing is off limits, just have things in moderation.

After all, what is life if you can't have some cake or french fries every once in a while
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #9  

That's true. I'm a perfectionist, and I think that's why I've stuck with WW (even if I've had more off weeks than on). For example, I know I'm going to get Indian Food this weekend. And to do so, I need to save up my weekly allowance points. That's motivation to be on plan during the week! You can be "perfect" on WW and still indulge in what you like. The support of the group is good, too. I leave every meeting with a new food idea or strategy. It's nice.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

A calorie is a calorie...eating too much of anything can make you gain weight

People can get fat from eating too much fruit if they exceed their calorie requirement
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #11  

I'm not denying that, but really, the obesity problems in the world are not from too much fruit. And fruit has many benefits. WW is just trying to promote people eating fruits and veggies. They say not to go overboard. I'm just pointing out that I highly doubt fruit is why people are trying to lose weight.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

I've done WW before, and it worked, so I know the system is great.

The other detriment to eating too much fruit is that its a natural laxative, so too much of it and OW. Again, its all about moderation.

I wasn't a fan of the meetings, but I didn't find one with my age group (they say that's how it works). I did really well on my own and with 3FC. I'm just going to use the online system - it'll be easy on my iPhone - and go from there. I honestly don't have time to go to meetings - it will seriously cut into my work out and me time.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #13  

The free fruit thing for me is great - it's an easy choice. For example, I had a 90 calorie Special K bar for breakfast before leaving the house. It did not fill me up. My hubby and I stopped for a drink at the gas station. Normally I would have grabbed another bar, or a poptart, or something of that nature. Instead, they had bananas, and my first thought was I could eat that, be full and not use points, so I made the banana choice.

So really, it helped me with nutrition and points. I'm still losing weight (although none today), but I'm eating MUCH healthier then I did on the regular points system.

Anyone else in their late 20's (I'm 28 .. ick) and see that it's getting much harder to lose weight then when you were early twenties. When I was 23-24 I dropped 23lbseasy (178-155) at a rate of 2-3lbs per week with a whole lot les effort then it takes now. Now it's a struggle to lose 2lbs per week.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

I'm 28, too. I didn't try to lose weight in my early 20's and I'm kicking myself for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #15  

Jennierose - I've lost the weight and gained it back so many times in the last few years. I'm sure that's ruined my metabolism some too.