Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #31  

Hey all! Just stopped in for a minute.

Jenn - I have not ever been to a therapist.. but when my boyfriend and I postponed our engagement (aka became unengaged but not broken up.. this is actually a long story.. happened 2 years ago..).. I probably should have gone to one. But then again.. I am not really sure how much they can help. It feels weird to me telling a stranger all my thoughts.. but I guess its better than keeping them in.

one_sweetchick: You are doing awesome on your goals.. keep up the good work!!!

Lucky13: I think I would die if I ran 13 miles without stopping? (is it possible to die from running to much??? )

Monique: I'm sorry you are stressed out. Feel free to vent to us!

FM: Congrats on the loss! Perhaps the cycle of loss is water gain? Cause otherwise it sounds like you are doing all the right stuff.

As for me.. no working out yet.. I have a midterm tonight so its been study study study. Then.. since one of my projects deadlines has been delayed... I can finally get back to my workout schedule!!! I lost 1 1/2 pounds.. but I need to lose 5 more before I go to visit my family. Most of them have not seen me since I was 33 pounds heavier. Plus I had bangs.. now I don't. So.. this should be fun! So I hope to lose the weight.. but 5 pounds by Nov. 23 is pushing it!

-Tanya
Old 11-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #32  
Sarcasm Queen

Hello Ladies,

Jenn: It's cool that you go running. Are you one of those rain, sleet, snow runners who go no matter what the weather? I wish i could get back into running. But it's getting so cold here now.

I've never been in therapy, but then again, my fat butt has never been in a relationship. I'm 20, am I a loser? Eh... But I wouldn't knock the whole therapy thing. Maybe not for a long term thing, but I think it would help throw some issues on the floor. And maybe after finding out what is bugging you both the most you can figure out a solution on your own without a therapist.

OT but, I have an irregular heart beat and low BP. I thought I was gonna die from that, but my doc told me it was normal. I think I was like 90/50 at that time. It was weird, and I was nervous as heck at the time.

Frisco's Mom: How are those subway meals? I always wanted to try one of those "Jarodburgers" as I call them. But I figured that they they looked better than they tasted. As for food, I'm reading this book on how to eat. It works for me, so far. It's called "Intuitive Eating."

Monique: Do you work in a library? I do. In fact I'm typing this at work as I speak. You've really done great with your weight loss. I mean the numbers are shocking to me.

Tanya: Wazzup girl? I hope you do well on your midterm. I had a similar thingie on Monday. I didn't workout cuz I had a massive Cognitive Psych exam on Tuesday. But then again, I didn't work out tuesday cuz my knee fell out of the socket. It happens occasionally. I never went to the doctor about it cuz my mom called me a baby and a complainer if I mentioned that my knee ball was no longer in the socket. Anyway, I hope you can get closer to your goal. I'm sure you will shock your family. They totally aren't expecting your lack of bangs!! J/K I'm sure you'll be fine, even if you don't lose 5lbs by then. To me you're doing awesome work.

~Sahvara
Old 11-07-2002, 08:51 AM   #33  

Today was the first morning I haven't enjoyed the morning routine. Part of it was dips for triceps, and I always hurt my wrists during dips. Next time I will just use the triceps move the previous week.

I don't think I mentioned it here yet, but I have gone to strictly 1200 calories all through out the week, and between 1200-1400 over the weekend. Before, I had been mixing it up during the week, and I think it was sabotaging my 1200 calorie days. I would just want to eat more. This way, I feel like 1200 is the right amount every day.

At my present weight, the plan says I am supposed to only have 1200 calories/day to see a loss. I thought I was too active for that strict of an intake, but since I hadn't been making any progress I decided to trust the program. That is what I told myself when I started: if I don't follow the plan to the letter, then I can't blame anyone but myself if I'm not getting results.

I managed to walk about 45 minutes yesterday, and at quite a quick pace. Today it is even colder (55 degrees this morning, with a high of 72!) so hopefully I can burn a bit more without reducing my work clothes to sweat rags.

Jenn - Sounds like I'm the only one so far who has seen a therapist, so I thought I'd offer one more bit of information. Therapy is largely about solving problems. Sometimes that is solved through talking about issues, sometimes through learning behavior modification, and I'm sure there are many other ways. I mention it because if you are looking for just a listening ear, you will feel very at odds with a therapist when they start trying to dig around.

And as for it feeling odd to talk about personal things with a complete stranger, for me that was a plus. I tend to empathize too much with people and hold back on how I really feel. I found the therapist as someone I could be myself with.

Tanya - I have five pounds I want to lose before Thanksgiving as well. We can do this! My parents are flying in to my grandparents (2 hours from me) and I will get to see them for 4 days. I am very excited because it will just be the 5 of us. No brother and his fiancé, no DH. Don't get me wrong, I love big family gatherings, but I can't remember the last time I got my parents all to myself!

As for my vicious cycle, I wish it was just water. However as I look over the past four months I have taken "breaks" just about every time the scale creeps lower. At the time the break always seems necessary. But the reality is that I have just chosen to lead my life in a way that IS busy. There is NEVER time. And I can't just use these excuses.

I also have been dinking around with my eating/exercise during this time. I really feel like I've found a regime that works for me now, so hopefully I am on my way down!

Sahvara - I have always loved Subway, and the new chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce is very tasty. And I think you get a pretty good choice of low-fat subs. The other sub shop I like (Quizno's) only has two low-fat subs on their menu right now.

I haven't heard of "Intuitive Eating". Are you enjoying it?

Monique - I'm sorry you're stressed right now. Can you guys plan a nice relaxing weekend, perhaps that tapers off on Sunday afternoon when you can send him off and have time to yourself to get organized for the week ahead?

*Off-topic*
I am an organizational freak (some might even say anal!) and I know I feel out of sorts if I am not on top of things. Recently, the idea of house-shopping had me stressed. We won't be moving for another year, but want to start looking soon because of our limited free time.

I hate working on such on long time schedule, it gives me too much time to worry. But then I realized something: DH has higher house standards, and knows more about construction than me! It was like a weight lifted off my chest.

When we get a realtor, I will have him scout out homes first. That will save precious time out of my schedule, and keep my organizational tizzies (what would the mortage be on *this* house? how much in loans will we have left if we bought *next* month? How long was that interest rate good for?) to a minimum.

*End off Topic*

I just looked at my weight chart. Since August 7th, I have lost a total of 3.5 lbs. But, if I count up all the weight I managed to "lose" (i.e. how many pounds I put on then took off again) it's over 13! I am sticking to it this time because if I am putting in that kind of effort, I want to see a total loss of 13 lbs!

Unlike most people, I like stepping on the scale. I find that I stay away from it while I know I'm not doing well and then I see these huge jumps. I've decided that I will weigh-in as much as I want for now, so that I can catch any additions before they become more than 1 lb or so. Perhaps I'm in denial, but I haven't noticed any destructive behavior following a bad weigh-in.

And on that 11-hour workday, I did take time out to call the salon and book a massage for tonight! I am definitely trying hard to take care of myself. I don't have any more sick time left, so it's kind of not an option - I have to stay well!

Well, I guess I can't put off work any longer. It is a 10-hour day today, but with a massage afterwards! That's the way to live! Take care everyone.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM   #34  

Default november challenge

So far so good...i have done all of the things that I said i would this month...

I have gone to the gym everyday ...but i am going to start taking one day off...
i have done great work outs, i am eating clean

and i have lost 5lbs so far!!! i am so excited....i know it is probably water weight or whatever...
but its still gone!

one_sweetchick
Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 PM   #35  
hottie in training

hi everyone!
for some reason i thought i posted something yesterday, but then today i realized I didn't.

thanks to eveyone for the advice about the therapy. i just wasn't really sure waht to expect. i would like a 3rd party's opinion/thoughts on several different topics. i think i'd really be able to open up to a therapist. i dunno, we'll see what happens.

i am doing pretty good this month, especially w/caffeine. yesterday i only had one cup of tea, and today i haven't had any caffeine. i had a decaf coffee & sprite at lunch time.
i am leaving work early today, at 2:30. my bf & i are going to visit a friend that lives about 2 hours away. i am kind of tired right now, i'd like to just leave now!!

monique-i can relate your problems. financially, i always seem to be low on $$. I am making more money now than ever but still can't seem to save any significant amount of money for a significant amount of time. i forced myself to put $500 in a CD for 6 months, just so i could have something saved. it has been hard lately, had to buy new tires, pay car insurance, and now it christmas shopping time. i don't know when i am ever supposed to save. i figured out that i should really be able to save at least $500 a month, but I never manage to do it. it just seems like something always comes up!

my bf & i have been kind of not getting along lately. except for tuesday & yesterday. every other day was kind of, ugh, crappy. yesterday was great though.

does anyone else here have a SO that likes to play Playstation 2, or any other games like that? my bf loves it. there is a new game out-Grand Theft Auto, Vice City. i think the game is neat, but there is so much violence, sex, gore, swearing in it! has anyone seen these games? even though it comes w/a Mature rating, I am sure people are buying them for their kids! I am not saying anything against the game, as long as it's adults playing it! anyone else see these games? my brothers also are really into these video games.

anyway i guess i better do some work.
everyone have a nice weekend!

Jenn
Old 11-08-2002, 02:31 PM   #36  
Sarcasm Queen

Hello, been havin' a rough couple of days. It's my own fault but oh well... I just gotta get back on and try again. I'm so self defeating. How do you all stay conscious 24 hrs a day of what you're doing. Sometimes I completely forget and order a meal I shouldn't be eating. Why is that?

Jenn: Yes, I have seen those video games. A friend of mine plays those and yes... they do have a lot of violence in it. And all he does in the game is steal cars to get around the city while people shoot at him.. well it's more complicated then that.. but anyways. They aren't that bad. But I could be biased. As long as it doesn't have big zombies, I'm okay with it. I hate zombies.

One: You're doing great. Actually you're doing fantastic. What's the name of the program you are doing again? I may wanna go on it with you.

FM: I know how you feel.. I've been gaining and losing for about a month and a half. It's frustrating... it's so very frustrating. But I'm very glad you are still hanging in there. And I'm sure that you will get a handle on things. You're organizational skills will find a lot of usage. You'll be fine. I think the fact that you care means that it will work out for your eventually. At the moment, you sould too stressed out.

Monique: Good luck in staying off the scale! It's hard, and I've given in. Which has been leading to many bad days. If I've gained... damn.. If I've lost.. I haven't lost enough. I'm way to critical of myself. I hope this isn't what's happening to you. I'm sure you'll even out over time. Thanks for tellin' me I'm not a loser. And don't worry... I'm no where near that despirate.

~Sahvara
Old 11-09-2002, 07:01 AM   #37  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

hello all

hope everyone is off to a great weekend

layoffs were announced this week at work - they will occur Jan/Feb of next year

needless to say, it will be hard to motivate people (myself included) until that time.

they're trying to get rid of people, but we're really busy right now - go figure...

ever since the race, my knee has been a little tender - it does this every once in a while - have been taking it easy this week because of it...

later,

em
Old 11-11-2002, 09:05 AM   #38  
hottie in training

hi everyone. hope everyone had a nice weekend! we went to visit a friend of mine. it was a good time, except the traffic going there was pretty bad. it took about an hour longer than usual to get there.

sahvara-my bf hates zombies too. he had a good game though that had zombies, Silent Hill 2. It was pretty scary, for a video game.

well better go do some work. bleh!

Jenn
Old 11-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #39  

Happy Monday everyone!

How was your weekend? Mine went rather well.

On Saturday I did a lot more physical work than I usually am able to out at the sanctuary. I attribute it to my new morning program. I feel really great about it.

I ate more than I had planned on Saturday night. Part of that is OK because I worked a lot harder than usual. But part of it I know is because I ate alone. I wanted pizza (no cooking!), but DH was heading out to loan a book to a friend. Without him there to make it actually "dinner", it just turned into "eating". Does that make sense?

But I still wasn't 100% stuffed when I went to bed, and that's progress.

Sunday was my day off, but I only managed to sleep until 7a.m. I had let my organizational streak run wild on Friday and had a huge list of projects I wanted to get done. (Organize closets, change the linens, etc.)

My MIL wasn't feeling up to breakfast, so I simply had a cappuccino and got to work. Before I knew it, it was almost time for lunch! Since DH and I wanted to eat out (and I planned on splurging), I decided it wouldn't kill me to just wait until he got home to eat.

We had a wonderful meal at this new BBQ joint around 3pm. I had something from every food group: Broiled Chicken, green beans, french fries, and apple cobbler a la mode (that's fruit and dairy - really!).

Then we ran to MIL's to drop off her late B-day present, and did a few more errands. We got home around 7pm. While DH felt a little hungry and started puttering around in the kitchen, I just really felt like I didn't need to eat anymore. I know that just having one big meal isn't the best for you, but that just didn't seem like a good enough reason to justify eating more.

I'm sure that one meal was around 1400 calories. And I wasn't in the mood to cook anything, so I was worried that if I started eating, mindless snacking would commence. Since I got to sleep no problem, I know I wasn't really hungry. I never can go to sleep on an empty stomach.

BTW - to go out on Sunday, I rummaged through my closet to find something that fit (i.e. was not 4 sizes too big) and came up with a medium T-shirt and an old pair of jean cut-offs fit like a glove. (DH was drooling!)

But I felt like I was wearing a bikini in public! I always used to enjoy showing off my body, but it has been 4+ years since that was possible. It felt very weird and intimidating to wear something so flattering, even if it was just grubby clothes. Has anyone had similar feelings?

one_sweetchick - glad your doing well. And 5 lbs is 5 lbs, so way to go!

Jenn - DH is not into games at all. I'm pretty happy, since he spends enough time searching the internet as it is.

I'm glad you had a nice weekend! I get so stuck in a rut with my schedule, I forget how nice it is to do something different, even if it is just organizing closets!

Sahvara - Are you feeling better now? Hang in there! I know all too well how frustrating this struggle can be at times. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Emily - I'm sorry about the announcement. Be careful with that knee. Have you tried a nice hot soak? A hot bath is my solution to many of life's problems...

Monique - I'm glad you had a good weigh-in. This week will be make-it-or-beak-it time. This is the week that I would usually gain something back. I'm feeling pretty confident though. I think I get very nervous before weekends.

I looked at my yogurt cups and they were about 4-6 oz. So, I went and bought some with fruit on the bottom that were 8 oz. I use a trick a learned from a friend - I don't mix up the fruit. The yogurt gets a nice sweet flavor from just being stored with the fruit, and it saves about 100 calories (and 20+ grams of carbs!) from the serving (if you count the fruit as 2 tbsp. of jam).

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:23 PM   #40  

I am proud to say that I got back on track today - weighed in (it was a painful 4.5 pounds). I woke up this morning as planned and did 30 minutes on my elliptical. When I got home from work I really didn't feel like working out but I made myself try out my new Firm tape - it is the Fat Blasting video. I really liked it - it is definitely going to motivate me to keep working out. I like how they have a little of everything...I couldn't do the whole thing but I was pretty close.

I have stayed within my points today - about time!!

Drinking my water...

Hope everyone is well!

Margie
Old 11-11-2002, 10:07 PM   #41  

Angry a good day

I am happy to report that i am still on track with my november goals. I have lost 4lbs of the 10 i planned to lose this month so that is a good thing.

I haven't cheated on my diet...and I haven't missed any planned days at the gym...6 days a week...and I am actually drinking more than my 10cups of water!!! omg 16 one day and 12 another day! i can't believe it...

take care and hope everyone is doing well...

one_sweetchick
Old 11-14-2002, 09:50 AM   #42  
hottie in training

hi everyone

i am pretty on track w/my november goals. i have been writing down every day the caffeine consumption & exercise. Last week wasn't on target w/exercise, but this week is. I've already done 3 days w/cardio & 2 w/ weights. tonight I'm doing an extended cardio session because last night i did weights & only 10 min of cardio, i was just too tired. of course I've also bought a new pair of shoes (feel great too) and gone to visit a friend.

over the weekend i got my ear pierced (the cartiligeSP?) part. anyone else have this. my friend and i both got it done. she already had two on her left side so she got another on her right. she said hers was barely sore anymore. mine still is. and a little red. i know some people say i am a hypochondriac but i really hope it didn't somehow get infected. i know this area is more sensitive & suspectible to infection than the lower ear. i am going to give it a few more days & if it doesn't seem to get any better, call my doctor.

i have to admit, i am feeling very FAT lately. i felt pretty good last weekend, but then i hardly ate last weekend. today i put on a pair of size 10 pants that used to be loose, and they were too tight to wear! i have on now another pair of size 10's that are loose. it just makes me mad. they are both 10's, they should fit the same! i definitely don't want to start dieting again, but i feel like i am gaining weight in my stomach area. i know what it is-eating too much at night. i know if i just cut back at night i'd feel a lot better. why don't I just do it?????

this morning i felt i had a pretty healthy breakfast-cheerios w/skim milk & a banana. but i am already starving! what is up with that!

my bf was supposed to go out tonight after work but the plans were cancelled. i was really looking forward to the time to go to the gym, and clean clean clean! i am still going to the gym, i don't know about the cleaning. i also wasn't even going to have dinner (i am usually not hungry after the gym) but since he is there i probably will. why don't i just not eat? i am not that Hungry! i guess i should eat something though, because if not that that means i would be going 16-18 hours without food (if i didn't any dinner-lunch to breakfast the next day) i just need to eat smaller portions at night.

anyway i better get going. lots of work to do

talk to you later!

Jenn
Old 11-15-2002, 09:24 AM   #43  

Happy Friday, everyone!

A hectic week for most? It was for me! Technically, I didn't have to come in today. As of last night, that was 40 hours. But the work didn't end, so here I am. I hope I can get away a little early today.

I am pretty much on track still. Only thing that really was thrown off was this morning. My alarm didn't go off, so I didn't get to do my 8 minutes. Never fear, no matter how hectic my day I WILL get it in. I can't ruin this wonderful track record!

And I weighed in this morning at 139. So, my major goal for November has been accomplished - assuming I stay on track and don't gain next week! That is a big incentive to stick to it.

It's so funny how I struggled for so long and all of a sudden it just clicked. I think part of it was that I still haven't mastered incorporating all of my favorite foods into a healthy eating routine. So, right now I am sticking to "healthier" foods in general. Although I still do have pizza every weekend and maybe one more meal that is really fattening, so I guess I'm learning.

The last time I had great success at maintaining a desirable weight (I was around 130-135, but I was kicking major exercise butt and could eat almost ANYTHING I wanted) was in graduate school. When I tried to get serious about being healthy again, I tried soooo hard to remember what I had done during that year. But it escaped me.

We all know it boils down to "eating less, moving more" but there are so many subtle variations of those two ideas. And inevitably we need to find the combo that works for us. So, I wrote down in my journal what I am doing right now, with the most specifics as possible. Maybe it won't work for me the next time around, but I wanted it in writing just in case!

I was thinking of posting it on a separate thread, if other people would want to add their plans. I think it would be interesting and maybe we could pick up some tips from each other that get lost in our regular posts. Anyone interested?

Margie - Way to go, getting back on track! It's always hard after an unpleasant weigh-in. Do you have many of the Firm tapes? They look interesting to me, but I have found I am not the best at doing tapes at home.

one_sweetchick - congrats on the loss so far! I drink between 160-200 oz. of water a day, addicting, isn't it? I just don't feel "right" when I don't get my usual amount.

Monqiue - I'm so glad you had a relaxing weekend. Any fun things planned this week? How is the walking going? My work is right between a residential area and a commercial one, there's a mall right next door! So, I am mixing up my walks - some around the park/residential area, and some at the mall. I've almost got my parent's Christmas shopping done!

Jen - I have a cartilage pierce and it took a long time to heal. I have four holes in that ear, and it is always more sensitive than the other (only 2 holes). Here are some tips that I can think of:

-Don't sleep with that ear on the pillow - that will irritate it.
- Put your hair up. You won't even realize how much your hair pulls it around.
- Keep it warm! It might feel sensitive due to the cold. You now have a nice conductor running through a thin piece of skin.
- Unless you are worried about the quality of the ring (i.e. not stainless steel), DON'T change the ring.
- Clean it as often as directed, but no more. You will irritate it by excessive cleaning.

I hope that helps!

As far as how you're feeling, I know my view is slanted - hey, it's what's working for me - but have you considered looking into the USDA food pyramid? I know you don't want to diet, but those guidelines might help you feel healthier by getting enough fruits and veggies, and possibly help with your portions.

And hey, with all your exercise, no wonder you're feeling hungrier! (In regards to feeling hungry after a good breakfast)

Your comment on not eating for 16-18 hours helped me realize why I've been getting headaches. I usually eat every 3-4 hours (sometimes more often with small snacks!), starting with breakfast around 8:30. Well, lately with my big work effort, I have been forgetting to eat breakfast until around 10:30 or so. I think I can find a direct correlation between eating breakfast late and getting these all-day headaches. I didn't see it until now, but it makes sense!

Well guys, have a good weekend! I missed my vitamin last Sunday, so I'm going to be extra diligent about sticking to the plan!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:23 PM   #44  

Arrow so far so good....

So for november....

This week...went well...i guess since i have lost 15-20lbs since I started exercising....and dieting...26days ago...but i see no difference...but i am doing everything i am supposed to do...and i don't cheat....I guess i'm just having a crummy day...who knows...

take care and good luck

one_sweetchick
Old 11-16-2002, 11:18 PM   #45  

Talking miss calculated...

I think that one of my goals for my november challenge was to lost 10lbs...and I have lost 9lb of it so far this month...how VERY exciting.....

just thought i would update..

one_sweetchick
Closed Thread