Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Default ~~Weekly Chat - August 30 - September 5~~

Happy Monday beautiful ladies!

Can you guys believe it's just about September? CRAZINESS!

I hope you all had good weekends!

I am super tired today, yesterday was a rest day from exercise and I was pretty tired then as well. Tried to watch a dvd in bed with my boyfriend but I was dropping off to sleep so we'll have to finish it tonight.
He made a huge bowl of popcorn but I restricted myself to 1 cup only - measured in my awesome brand new Matryoshka measuring cups! I'd seen them a while ago, but yesterday when I was looking for a birthday present for my boyfriend's mum, I found them for only $14.50 (NZ)! Amazing. I'm pretty excited to have my own set of measuring cups, I keep acquiring little things that I am excited about having when I move out of my house/my boyfriend's parents house!

As well as tired, I'm feeling a little bit dull and unmotivated. It might actually just be related to the tiredness. I'm not going to revert back to being unhealthy or anything, and I plan on exercising straight after work today, but I'm just feeling a little bit blah. I worry it's depression creeping back, but it's not serious enough for that yet so I'm just going to try to stay positive!

Does anyone else ever feel like they need something to look forward to? I go week to week waiting for each new thing to look forward to, whether it's as simple as going to a movie or a family birthday or just something where I know I have something to do or somewhere to be - if I don't have something like this present in my future, then I start feeling slightly hopeless. Oh man, I realise that must look really pathetic...but I've noticed it's definitely a recurrent theme in my life.
I'm trying to look forward to my birthday at the moment, but that is just a little bit too far off to get excited about just yet. I thought about looking forward to the 16th of September, which is when I will have been with my boyfriend 2 and a half years, but I know he won't want to do anything so it's kind of not something to "celebrate" as such.

Alright! Enough of my whining! How is everyone else?
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/185/153

Height: 5'6.5"

I guess the kiwi always starts the weekly chat eh?

I just finished a weekend in class and I am back to work tomorrow.

I find I am losing focus, just a little bit.

My lovely and supportive boyfriend has been great! I’ve only been with my boy for 4.5 months and he has been very supportive when I told him “this is what I am doing, you don’t have to do it. But he's been with me every step. Late June, early July was the third time I re-entered the 200s in about 4 years. My focus and perspective is better, but his damn cookies. He says to have self control and I am just telling him - just don't let me know they are there.

I don't keep or bake things like that for a reason.

So I am starting a challenge, for my self. From now until the end of September, I am going to try and see how many times I can eat 10 servings of fruits and veggies in one day. The idea behind is this. If I say "don't eat the cookies/sweets/etc" I am putting my energy on something I cannot have. If I focus on what I can have, I am hoping it will naturally push out the foods I should not be eating.

I will try and post daily what my servings are. Wish me luck!!!

Sharing something that has worked for me: I've served with depression/anxiety for as long as I can remember. Last December I got so bad, that I started medication. Determined to better manage it, I shifted my focus away from just losing weight but working out to support my mood.

A book that helped me is "Eat Your Way to Happiness". Its not a diet, but more guidelines and it has a list of superfoods that help support your mood. It has made a real difference.

The author has a nice saying or something (whatever you call it). My goal each meal is to eat 75% real, unprocessed food. Its a bit of a challenge some days, but it helps me to make sure I eat my F&V.

I am just relaxing before I cook. I will be making these amazing (and healthy) Blueberry Chia Muffins today (have you ladies heard of chia seeds!?!?!). Cannot wait! Those muffins are things the bf should make, not delicious and gooey chocolate chip cookies. I am hoping he is done for now.

Enjoy the rest of your sunday/monday!
Risssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #3  

Hey Risssa!

I only started the weekly chat this and last week, and it's mainly because I've become way more addicted to 3FC in the last few weeks and find myself getting to work on Monday morning and being like "Oh... well, it's a new week, I may as well start the weekly chat!" Haha. I hope it's ok for me to do it, I kind of just jumped in there last week and did it!

I wish you such good luck for your fruit/vege challenge! I am still a little bit fruit challenge, though I have made it a goal to eat at least one apple a day, at least when I'm working - still working on getting more fruits when I'm not at work. I'm fine with veges, have them usually at both lunch and dinner, but fruits - I just don't like enough of them. Actually I kind of only like apples...though I'll make a banana smoothie sometimes for breakfast.

That book seems like it might just help - I'm really happy with calorie counting, but if I can find a way to help those calories work more for me, then I'm all for it!
I have definitely noticed that my moods have been improved by exercise - I did 18 months on antidepressants over 2006-2008 and I can happily say that exercising now has made me way happier than I ever was then.

Also those muffins sound good, aside from the blueberry part. WHY must I hate fruits so much! What are chia seeds and where did you find the recipe? I allow myself things like chocolate and not-so-healthy snacks if I can fit it into my calorie count, but I would love to have things that are healthy and feel a bit like a treat!

My sister is always baking cakes and brownies and cookies, which is probably why I haven't seen her in a few weeks - not that she'd necessarily have them when I went around, but the just in case thing! I'd feel the need to work it into my calories and then I'd probably have a pretty under-nutritious day.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #4  

Obviously I am working really hard today - just spent over 30 minutes re-doing my signature haha.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey ladies, haven't popped into weekly chat since the end of last semester but now that I'm on a schedule again I may as well do so!

First off I want to rant and rave about how much I hate computers for doing anything but typing and research. I have this dumb GIS computer programming class that I am trying to take and the work is so difficult even in chapter 1. I really don't care about making maps on the computer and I never want to be involved in work where I have to make computer maps so to me it feels like a ginormous waste of time. Not to mention the professor is cracked and he hasn't explained anything in class yet. It's like a work at your own pace, but go sit in a dumb classroom for 4 hours a week anyway. Blah.

I've just been really angry today. Not sure why. It's over 90 degrees here, and that's probably the case. It's not supposed to be this hot in Michigan's upper peninsula that's for sure. I had a serious case of road rage earlier and I was getting frustrated with the kid I was working with because she didn't want to do anything today and I hate that when the kid is throwing a tantrum and the parents are right there watching and looking annoyed. It's not like I have any more magic than the parents in dealing with behaviors... sheesh. I have a cut on the bottom of my toe, and all I want to do is go home and dance but it's just too hot to do anything, and I have to force myself to do this computer work first.

In good news the weather forecast for my half marathon on Saturday is 65 degrees... please do not go up.

Okay this was a bummer post but I needed to get it out somewhere. Next one will be happier.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

I'm not new to 3FC, but I took a siesta from it and just got out of the habit of caring about myself and my health like I should. The past most-of-a-year has been ok, I'm hovering around a weight of 150 and honestly, I'm ok with how I look even though I'm not at "goal" so I've really been slacking. I've had a boyfriend since November (my sister's early Christmas present to me was a blind date with this guy, har har). But that relationship's kind of falling apart around me, which sucks cause I really fell hard for the guy. So, I guess I need to re-learn (or did I ever know in the first place?) how to love me first, and take care of myself first. It's going to be tough.

Risssa and Rainbow, I notice you both talked about battling depression in some form. I exercise daily and that doesn't seem to be helping how I feel about my situation, but does the superfoods thing really help? Just curious, as only an hour ago I made the decision to find a counselor for my own emotional crap. [I have a master's degree in psychology. So admitting to myself that I needed to make that phone call was hard! Ugh!!!!!]
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Hello Ladies! Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. Mine was pretty laid back, which I enjoyed.

I discovered something new at the Farmers Market this weekend.. Sportea. Anyone else heard of it? I am in love. Unfortunately, I can not find anywhere in my town to buy it by the box, but there is a cafe close to my apartment that sells it by the cup. I ordered it at one of the vendors at the farmers market, the girl in front of me ordered it and I thought it looked good. Shortly after I finished it I had a bolt of energy like I just had an espresso or something. I felt great! (and no crash) I went home and googled it and discovered it is completely all natural and has no caffeine or calories. Here's the website: www.sportea.com]

So, I woke up with a terrible sore throat again today. I was looking forward to a nice jog today because the weather is amazing. But I feel like CRAP! This is the second time in 3 weeks I've been sick. I think it's because the weather is so dry. We need rain really bad.

Rainbow: I have struggled with depression as well. And I have also found that exercise really helps. The anxiety I deal with is a different story. I have to take medication for that. I completely understand feeling like you need something to look forward to. On Monday, I always ask the BF "Soooo, what are we doing this weekend?" (If he doesn't ask me first) Because, that's what gets me through the work week! UGH, that's kind of depressing just thinking about it.

Rissa: I also struggle with my boyfriend cooking things and bringing things home that I want nowhere near me. I wish "self control" was that easy.

Ever: Cheer up girl! Hope your week gets better!

Book: Welcome back! I hope things get better for you soon. I think it's great you feel comfortable at your current weight even though your not at "goal." It's just a number. How you feel, is what really matters.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #8  

Hey Everlasting, hope that you get a bit of time to yourself away from work/road stresses - that sounds like what you need!

brooksrm I don't know about the superfoods thing as I haven't looked into it yet - I kind of just assumed that because I'm making a conscious effort to eat things that I know are healthy, it's making a difference. I know for sure that for me, the exercise is definitely improving my moods - even on my scheduled rest days, I notice I don't get quite the same good feeling. I have even started to look forward to exercising, which is something I NEVER thought would happen.
As for the counselor, if you think that's what you need, I say go for it. The entire 18 months (and the 3 prior) that I was on antidepressants, I had a therapist who I saw usually at least once a week. I had a pyschiatrist I saw once every couple of months (just to check the meds were ok) and I don't regret the money spent whatsoever. I feel like going to counselling taught me to better deal with my feelings and notice warning signs of depression early so I can try to ward it off, or at least be aware of what is happening.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #9  

caseygail I hope your illness isn't too bad and goes away quickly! I would totally be the same with my BF if he wasn't so terrible at organisation/making plans - he literally won't commit to anything until like..the day before or the day it happens - it's like he always wants to leave his schedule open "just in case" - I find it pretty ridiculous, but I plan things for us anyway haha.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #10  

Rainbow, hate fruit? That I’ll never understand. I will post the recipe in my next posting (since I cannot post links). I hope you ladies are ok with that. I like to through in a little bit of chocolate chips in (except I could not find mine today!!!!!). I do enjoy having chocolate in my diet. I go for the darkest – I like to get the biggest bang for my buck.

I also like what you said “if I can find a way to help those calories work more for me, then I'm all for it!” That is a great perspective – making our food work for us!!!! I think you are on to something

Green smoothies. Try them. Most people put fruit in the smoothies to counter act the green components of a green smooth (lettuce, spinach, argula, etc). But try making a green smoothie so you cannot taste the fruit!?! And a little cocoa powder does not hurt.

Chia seeds. Best advice – google them. They are great in baking because they allow you to reduce the amount of butter and oils (and hence calories) and they have a nice a filling effect in your belly. Try your local health food store. But google “chia seeds”!!!!

Chris, those days happen to all of us. To quote Aidan from Sex and the City “just breathe and reboot”. You might be upset about something else, or might just one of those days. Either way, its ok. And I am thinking nice, cool thoughts for your half-marathon.
Brooks. Yes!!! The key is consistency. Earlier this week (I found out my grandpa might have heard a stroke b/c he keeps passing out) I was still feeling depressed, lethargic and tired. I dragged my a$$ through my run that morning. I had to keep telling myself “this will help, this will help” even though in that moment it was not. I literally shoved health fruits and veggies down my throat even though all I could think about was soothing myself with yucky processed food.

I think the key is to throw everything at it – healthy foods, mood supporting foods, exercise, finding an outlet, seeking help (if needed), meditation, positive thoughts, daily affirmations, journaling, friends and family for support, etc. I make a habit on reading non-medication things that help depression and trying to incorporate them into my life.

I would recommend doing something active every day (even if on your “rest” days its just walking). Eat whole foods, and be consistent about the positive changes. And try and stay positive. There are days when I tell myself “this will pass, everything will be fine” and part of me is thinking “what crack have you been smoking”. For me, it is about wanting it and fighting for it. There are days when I fight for my right to be happy and there are days when I am walking on cloud nine.

We all deserve to be happy and we all deserve to do the things necessary to be happy. I don’t know what is going to work for you Brooks but try, try, and keep trying. I think it’s the synergy of all these things that work for me. Sometimes I get down, but I fight to get back up.

There are some quotes from Eat Pray Love that I’ll post (when I find them) that may help.

Also, you exercise daily. What is your intensity like? The higher the intensity, the better the effect. And congrats on deciding to see a counselor. I am on the list to get one. Still waiting.

Last edited by Risssa; 08-30-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #11  

Recipe

Blueberry Chia Muffins

anotheronebitesthecrustblog*com/2009/06/01/blueberry-ch-ch-chia-muffins/

Makes about 12 muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I use regular whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
1 cup blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine chia seeds in water until it forms a gel-like substance (let the chia seeds water mixture sit for at least 10 mins).

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. In a seperate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Fold in blueberries. Bake in lined muffin tins for about 15 minutes. Enjoy your delicious muffins!

These are delicious and filling. And I guess you could sub in carrots or zucchini for the blueberries..... and chocolate chips never hurt (in moderation)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #12  

Risssa: I think I kind of fear fruit in a way... all the seeds and weird textures and flavours. I will pretty much only eat apples and bananas. I guess I could try putting different fruits in a smoothie - a green smoothie sounds pretty weird, like.. a vege smoothie? But maybe if I put some peach or something into a smoothie..well even that sounds kind of weird but who am I to judge something without trying it?
My most annoying fruit-hate is citrus fruit. I really wish I liked oranges but I can't bring myself to do it. If I smell orange peel and the actual fruit, I kind of cringe. I have been trying to force myself to eat mandarins instead, but even then I kind of forget about them because it's not something I really enjoy and I literally have to force myself to eat it. I like orange juice but not with the pithy bits so I avoid it pretty much all the time as I see it as not something worthwhile if it's got added sugar etc (which most of the ones without pith here tend to have).
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Smile top of the morning to you all!

Hey everyone!

I am brand spanking new to 3FC. But I am really liking it! I guess a little bit about myself so you gals get to know me. I am a college student in Indiana trying to get into nursing school. It is damn near as hard to get into nursing school these days as medical school! I've just recently started living a healthier lifestyle. I hit the 190 mark and realized 200 is only 10lbs away. How many cheeseburgers and pieces of pizza do 10lbs add up to? I didn't want to find out.

SO, I am living with my grandma, and she bought me a months worth of nutrisystem to boost my weight loss program and get it started. So far I've lost about 5lbs in two weeks. Thats an estimation because I used a different scale from my starting weight to current weight. Furthermore, I have made myself a fitness goal: to run the disney half marathon in january. My mom is an avid worker outer, so she is helping me with this goal. I ran for thirty minutes straight on friday! So that's a big step for me. Granted in was on a flat treadmill but even this past january I couldn't run 30 minutes straight.

I am currently dating a most wonderful man. We have been together for about 8 years. He says 9 but his memory isn't so good haha. Hopefully by the end of the year will be moving out with him because we both have finally gotten to a place in our lives where that is feasible.

Well, I guess thats about me in a nutshell. I am working right now; I am a lifeguard and swim instructor. SO i hope you guys have a good day!!!
jesarand89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Hi ladies!!!! Hope everyone had a great weekend. True to my word, I didn't do anything all weekend long, except for a friend's birthday party cookout on Saturday and watch the Emmy's last night, which was a great show. Jimmy Fallon did a great job hosting.

Today is my first day back at school after having the summer off and the alarm went off way too early this morning. We have meetings today and then the kids come tomorrow, but reality is setting in. And of course, the weather is going to be hot and humid and in the mid 90's all week long and my classroom is on the third floor with only two small windows. Bleh!
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Happy Monday all!!!

I just had to catch up on last weeks thread and today's postings. Too much for personals.

I was only able to try one new recipe this weekend as we went to a friend's house at the last minute for dinner on Saturday. I made chicken marengo last night http://www.southbeachrecipes.com/diet-recipes/chicken-marengo It was okay, but kind of a lot of work. I think it would have been just as good to throw all the ingrediants in the crock pot and let it simmer all day. But then you might as well just make Salsa Chicken (chicken and salsa, thats it!)

We will be making Texas Beef Sandwiches tonight. http://www.southbeachrecipes.com/die...eef-sandwiches I'm pretty excited about these. Kind of like a healthy french dip (at least thats what it sounds like.)

Work today, then Jazzercise this evening. Down .6 pounds today. I input some of my days into thedailyplate this morning just to see where I am at. With today's meals, i'm only scheduled to eat 780 calories. So I will definitely need to add some snacks in there. I was really efficient last night. While I was cooking our chicken dinner, I also made a meatloaf and some meatballs to freeze. Both with ground turkey. The meatballs are a great quick protein for little one on busy nights or when we are eating steaks or pork chops (he can't eat those items yet.) And the meatloaf, he and I can eat for lunches over this week.

I went through all the clothes in my closet and in my dresser this weekend and threw out things that are way too big now. It was a garbage bag and a half of stuff. Now i need to find the money to go shopping to replace stuff! I'm at that in between stage where all of my clothes are too big, but I'm still 23 pounds away from my goal so I don't want to buy too much because it won't fit in a few months. I guess my wardrobe will be quite boring for the rest of the year.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote