Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default Why I Got Fat

I was talking to my mom the other day (who is about 10 lbs heavier than me, after i lost almost 50 lbs...clearly i didn't get the genes from her) and she was saying how she doesn't understand how she got so big and it makes her really depressed. We talked about emotional eating, and bad eating habits and everything. I did get that from her, but I realized something. I know exactly why I got fat: I LOVE TO EAT!!

Seriously, I LOVE eating! I got fat because I love to eat pizza and cupcakes and cannolis and cookies and pasta and brownies and rice krispie treats with icing on them and ohhhhh the list goes on. I just love to eat. And when I ate, I loved it. I loved every second of getting fat. Sure I had my nights where Ben and Jerry were my only comfort, but those were few and far between. I simply love to eat. There's no deep-seeded self hatred. When I was fat, I LOVED my body. Mostly because I didn't give it two thoughts. I was almost 200 lbs and I KNEW I was the hottest 21 year old at the club. ****, my right butt-cheek could squish any skinny girl that started flirting with my men.

Here I am, 2 years after my weight-loss journey began, and almost 50 lbs down (and 10 lbs back up hehe) and I still LOVE to eat. I've learned though, that to be able to lead a long life full of happy meals, I need to eat smarter, and move my big butt cheeks. I've learned, that contrary to popular belief, you don't have to give up the things you love to be healthy. Because really, if we give up what we love, is that actually healthy?

So, I look at pictures of me 46 lbs ago and I'm proud, not just because of how far I've come since then, but because I like the girl in those pictures as much as I like the one in the mirror today. Only the one I see today has more of a chance of living a longer life...full of brownies
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I loved reading this. And I love your India Arie quote in your signature, cause I LOVE that song!

And, I think I just might love you! lol
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Hey amyleigh - you're so right! I know some people on here are of the belief/on a plan where they've completely taken out things that are unhealthy, but I don't want to make that my plan. If it's a plan I can't stick to the rest of my life, then there's no point in making it my plan. And if it's a plan that doesn't include the occasional serve of french fries or cake, then I DEFINITELY don't want that to be my plan!

I also love that you love your boday no matter what the size! That right there is awesomely inspiring.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

And by boday, I meant body. Damn keyboard haha!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

You're awesome. Love it!
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Beautifully put - thanks for writing this. I feel exactly the same way!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #7  
Apey

S/C/G: 203/167.2/145

Height: 5'6''

I love that you wrote this. I see soo many people trying to cut out everything bad for them. I still eat cake, cupcakes, brownies, pizza, go out to eat. Just in moderation. Where I used to do it everyday. Now I maybe have one day a week where I have my cheat day and it works great for me. Wonderfully put!
Apeyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Haha, me too, Amy. Me too. Food is fabulous.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 171/171/125

Height: 5'0

this is great to see because this is the plan i'm following. I know if i tell myself I can't ever have something again i will crave it so instead of the whole pan of brownies one will do!
Pandabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #10  
Rockin Socks since 1984

hey ladies, thanks for replying! i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who feels this way. i think society has a major stereotype that all fat people are self-hating, depressed slobs that eat out of spite of themselves and would give anything to be "skinny and happy"...that's simply not the case. if it were, wouldn't we all be "skinny and happy?" i think it's great that we can love ourselves at any size and realize that weightloss doesn't bring you permanent happiness (though fitting into those size 12s does feel DAMN good!). we have to love ourselves first, "imperfections" and all.

Last edited by amyleigh; 08-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #11  
fabulous southern belle

S/C/G: 268/215/165

Height: 5'10"

PREACH IT amyleigh!!! I love food too!

I have an amazing family, great job, wonderful friends... I am not a "secretly self-loathing, crying myself to sleep because I hate myself" fattie. I'm a "YAY FOOD! NOM NOM NOM!" fattie!

So glad I'm not alone- I think with a lot of tv shows especially there is SUCH a focus on "you're fat because you hate yourself/you're depressed/you're alone/ your dog died/ you have 6 toes/ blah blah blah"... those can all be valid for some people, but for a lot of us, it really is just about finding a better food/exercise/life balance!
miss scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #12  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

You are a wonderful person and made me smile.

Thanks for sharing!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #13  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Amy - PREACH IT SISTER! I love food too. I think it's awesome.... I just realize now that moderation is a word I did not know back then. Now I get it.. I think. That and exercise The more you exercise the more you can eat!!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #14  
Rockin Socks since 1984

hahaha miss traveller! that's my motivation..the more i exercise the more i can eat. love it!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Me to, I loved (sugar/sweets) food so much I ate it til I damn near popped. I didn't have a deep seeded problem, I just couldn't stop...my moderation button was broken...and it still is. I'll never be able to enjoy a cookie in moderation. Sure I can eat one and stop, but the agony and temptation lingers for hours, and sometimes days. I rather not have one than go through the moderation pain and suffering that many of us have.

Thankfully I've finally come to terms with what is necessary for *me* as a sugar junkie. Because now that I'm thin, I can see just how damn miserable I was even moderately overweight, much less super-morbidly obese. I'm one of "those" who had to totally give up an empty calorie, non-nutritional food group...

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-16-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote