Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #1  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Default Tattoo; Thoughts?

I know this isn't really directly related to weight loss, but I still wanted some people's opinions on it.

Now that I'm a bit more comfortable with my own skin, I was considering getting a small sort of wrist tattoo. I didn't want just any tattoo, either. It had to mean something to me, even as I grow old and I didn't want it to be distracting or anything.

Anyway, I'm really unsure about it, because it's my first tattoo. At first, I was completely against getting a tattoo, but now I would like to get at least one. I am, however, very worried that I might really dislike it as I grow older (I know my mind changed a lot).

Here's what it looks like (I drew it on myself, with a pen. ):

It's roughly around the size of a quarter and it's on the under side of my wrist. It's basically a medical cross, but it's suppose to represent it being intertwined in my personality for me to want to help others (Do you get the avatar now? It's a Plague doctor. Do you get it? Do you?! ) and also my healing and over coming my own problems. So, it means a lot to me, but I still have a lot of reservations about it... I've heard that wrist tattoos are also fairly painful and they're probably not the best choice for someone with their first tattoo, but I really wouldn't want to hide it. I don't think. Maybe some day I would? I don't know.

What do ya'll think?

Last edited by Paramedic; 06-30-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: For the purpose of sillyness.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I think in the next 15 or so years a LOT!!!! of people are going to REALLY regret the wrist tattoo fad.

I think the cross is a fantastic idea, but I'd definitely put it in a more forgiving spot.

I'm considering getting a silhouette of north and south america done in a two inch segment on the side of my ribs - also supposed to be a super painful spot, but more covered. But that's just me
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, I totally regret my tattoo. I was 18, and can't wait to laser that thing off. I think the wrist tattoos are great for celebs because they can get away with anything and still get work, but the wrist, neck, face are all highly visible places. My opinion is if you are wanting to get a little crazy, get something pierced. I have done that several times, tongue, nose, and now dermal chest implants. I have never regretted a piercing because they are so temporary if you like them to be.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

The design is not something that I, myself, would go for (I have a star of life on my left ankle...got it after I passed National Registry for EMT-I) but if it has significant meaning to you and you like it, go for it!!! And wrist tattoos are not bad at all. When it gets closer up towards your hand it is more painful than the rest of it, but it's not bad at all. Plus your design is very small...should be a short process. You can handle it, no problem.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

There are times tatts are super popular..and then there are times they fall SO out of fashion. My thoughts are..DON'T DO IT!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

lol i drew one on myself last night with a pen just to get the feel of having a permanent tatoo on me and i think it looks cool on me but i don't think i will like it in the future and something i wouldn't be able to erase if i got it, so if you really like yours maybe get it some where else that is concealable like on ur chest, back, leg... you don't want to regret it in the future especially when you say "even as I grow old and I didn't want it to be distracting or anything" and "I am, however, very worried that I might really dislike it as I grow older (I know my mind changed a lot)." You got to really think about this! anyways your post made me laugh cause i did the same thing with a pen last night

boredom makes me do silly things gl on ur decision
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i think the witch doctor would be a rad idea for a tattoo
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Honestly I can't understand why anyone would want to put markings on their body. Why be a walking billboard.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
Honestly I can't understand why anyone would want to put markings on their body. Why be a walking billboard.
i think the billboard analogy implies that people with tattoos are selling something, and that's obviously not the case. I think a better analogy would be a mural- i don't understand why anyone would want to be a blank wall.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Paramedic - if you are unsure I would say this - wait a year and if you still want it in a year, go get it.

I have 2 tattoos on my wrist (one on either wrist) (8 tats total) and did it before the fad. I do not regret either of them as they have a lot of meaning to me and people don't get them but none of my tattoos were for other people, it was for myself.

As far as covering it for work, it's something to think about. It really depends on what you are doing (as I don't know how they feel about paramedics having visible tattoos). If you have to cover it you have to cover it. It just depends on what lengths you're willing to go to.

Last edited by Feral; 06-30-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #11  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

I also have 2 wrist tattoos, and got them before the 'fad'.... I guess I didn't know there was a fad. Haha. Anyways, I say go for it. I have tiny nautical stars... Anyways, I work in a business field and those are my only 'visible' tattoos.. I have had them for several years and changed jobs in my company a few times, going on a lot of interviews, and I've never had a problem. One of my very good friends works in a corporate field and has for several years. She recently got tattoos on the sides of her wrists.. She hasn't had any problems either.

And for what its worth, alllll of the emt/medics I know have visible tattoos that they don't cover for work.

GL on your decision!!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #12  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Oh, I wanted to add that a LOT of people don't notice them. I've had them for almost 10 years, and had the same boss for 3. He noticed them last week.

And an FYI, sometimes I forget they are there and scare myself when I see them out of the corner of my eye. Cause I'm a spaz. HA!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #13  
improving life!

You sound really unsure. I agree with feral that you should sit on the idea before doing it. I also suggest it to not be a wrist tattoo if you are that concerned about disliking it when your older. A wrist tattoo you will always have to look at. My first tattoo is on my back shoulder, I only see it if I look in the mirror or if it makes it into a pictures, it was a great choice for me. But if you think about it for a while and you really want it on your wrist and you some to realize it will be less of a problem then you thought then go for it! I like the idea, and I love that the tattoo means something. My first one means something and I plan on having all of them mean something :3
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

I have a tat on both of my wrist, both my ankles the top of my r foot and the top of my left hand... I also have a wedding band tat so I don't have to wear a ring, I have metal allergies!! I love them.. I say decorate if you want to.. Idk about a cross that bulky and black, because... Tats fade and expand as they get older and if you got that particular tat in 10 years you might have a blob, depending on your skin and the artist!! In my opinion, finding a good artist is the MOST important part of the process.. I had the ones on my wrist and hand done by one guy, and they rubbed off like they were fake.... Then had to get them done again by someone else... Its been years and even though I tan they look like brand new!! If you know a good artist, take your vision in there and talk to them about it and see what they say, they KNOW, just like a hairdresser KNOWS what your hair can do, they KNOW about skin, ask them how it will age!!! I love tats, and if they didn't hurt so freakin bad, I would have more!!!

Good luck!! I hope this helps!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #15  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I guess it just comes down to...do you think there is any chance you will regret it later? If your answer is yes or maybe, I would wait or just not do it.

Tattoos are becoming so popular...almost everyone has them now. And I think a lot of people are getting them because...almost everyone has them now. And that's a shame. It's a permanent addition to your body, to your skin. It shouldn't be done impulsively or just to be cool or get attention.

I have one tattoo and I might get one more, but I'm mulling it over. There is all the time in the world to get a tattoo, there's definitely no rush. I like the idea of waiting for a year and if you still want it, getting it. I also agree that maybe you should get it in a place where it can be more easily concealed. As popular as tattoos are, there are still certain situations where you might rather not have yours out in plain sight.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote