What/where is it? Why do you hate it?
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #32  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1534 View Post
Oh wow...blast from the past!!! I didn't know anybody actually had that impression about tattoos anymore. I thought that went out in the 90s. Seriously, tattoos are widely accepted now. I work for the Sheriff's Department and there is NO policy against visible tattoos (however there is one against visible body piercings INCLUDING wearing clear retainers).

And, I should add, our sheriff is in his 70s!!!

I was at 7-11 getting coffee the other morning and there was a cop getting coffee, too. He was sleeved on BOTH of his arms. It was interesting, intimidating, and bada$$ all at the same time! I don't think his dept minds.

I'm a bit of purist that way. I don't think I will ever get a tatoo unless it just struck me to do so one day. I admire them on others, especially musical ones and birds. Kinda into music and birds, though

Last edited by junebug41; 07-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I was at 7-11 getting coffee the other morning and there was a cop getting coffee, too. He was sleeved on BOTH of his arms. It was interesting, intimidating, and bada$$ all at the same time! I don't think his dept minds.
A friend of mine, who used to be an officer, was sleeved on both arms and had tons of tattoos on his chest as well. Never affected his job performance and he as one of our most proactive officers.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #34  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I have wanted a wrist tattoo for a while, and I have 5 others.
I'm pretty happy with all my tattoos, I thought about them for a long time before going, but two I got when I was underage, so the workmanship disappoints me... especially on the one on my hip. He did such thick lines, and it's just... gross. The only way for me to fix it is to get a cover up, and I think that'll look worse on my hip.. but anywho.
I agree to really think about it, and try to draw it on for a while to make sure it's something you're gonna wanna see forever... or maybe in a different spot if that may not be the case. I love all my tattoos, but if I had to look at my "tramp stamp" (I was 15 when I got it.. cut me some slack!) everyday I'd go nuts.
I also cannot get a wrist tattoo after all, as well. I'm gonna be working in a hospital, and visible tattoos are not allowed
Although tattoos are widely way more acceptable now, there are still some places that don't allow them, so maybe look into that.
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 AM   #35  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

My first two tattoos are wrist tattoos and I regret them very much. Both of the symbols--and they are fairly intricate for wrist tattoos--look pretty and I get a lot of compliments, but wrist tattoos are absolutely nothing but trouble. People told me I would be able to hide them easily, but I can't. Mine are slightly larger than your design, but wrist tattoos are very visible. Everyone notices, and I would much rather have been able to hide them if I chose. Plus, because they are exposed to much more sun than a hidden tattoo, they have faded considerably, even though they were done by a very professional studio in San Francisco who I trusted and I protected them with plenty of sunblock. I won't laser them off because to me, a scar resembling a tattoo on my wrist is as bad as the tattoo itself, but I regret getting them there immensely. I love tattoos and will likely get more, but please do not consider getting wrist tattoos. Trust me!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharksrevenge View Post
My first two tattoos are wrist tattoos and I regret them very much. Both of the symbols--and they are fairly intricate for wrist tattoos--look pretty and I get a lot of compliments, but wrist tattoos are absolutely nothing but trouble. People told me I would be able to hide them easily, but I can't. Mine are slightly larger than your design, but wrist tattoos are very visible. Everyone notices, and I would much rather have been able to hide them if I chose. Plus, because they are exposed to much more sun than a hidden tattoo, they have faded considerably, even though they were done by a very professional studio in San Francisco who I trusted and I protected them with plenty of sunblock. I won't laser them off because to me, a scar resembling a tattoo on my wrist is as bad as the tattoo itself, but I regret getting them there immensely. I love tattoos and will likely get more, but please do not consider getting wrist tattoos. Trust me!
My wrist tattoo doesn't get noticed any more than my others...and it is WAY easier to hide. None of my tattoos have faded much, but there's no difference between my wrist and ankle tattoos.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

I'm extremely heavily tattooed, chest, sleeves, knuckles and all. I am also a registered nurse.

I think it is a shame that people look at tattooing as a "fad". Tattooing has been something that humans all over the world have done for thousands of years. It is not a fad, ultimately it comes down to the people who choose to get tattooed as to how they carry them for the rest of their lives. A lot of factors are involved, what you got tattooed, why, your mindset, etc... I find it very offensive that people refer to something that I have literally dedicated my life to carrying - as a "fad".

That being said - yes, tattooing WILL give you harder time with employment. Be sure to have a wide variety of clothing that can cover your tattoos for professional endeavors and make a point to be highly qualified for the job you are aiming for. You are not your tattoos, your tattoos do not define you - but people will judge you for them. You just have to make a point to rise above their judgments, to be the better person and be yet another person who is modified to change the stereotypes.

If you are feeling any twinge of uncertainty, don't do it *yet*. Eventually, if you decide to do it - spend a lot of time picking a studio and an artist. The more research you do, the happier you will be with your investment.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #38  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Tattooing is, in a lot of ways, a fad. It's something that a lot of people do, whether they will admit it or not, to be "cool" or "edgy" or get attention or to blend in with a certain crowd.

Tattooing has been around for thousands of years, but in the past, tattoos were much more symbolic...they had more to do with religion, culture, history, or life experience than vanity or just looking good. People were not getting dice and four leaf clovers and tramp stamps a thousand years ago...they just weren't. Those are the tattoos that make tattooing itself a fad. I would rather have my eyeball tattooed than get a lower back tattoo (no offense to anyone that has one) because COME ON...it's played out, it's unoriginal, it's tacky and meaningless (well, besides the obvious meaning of "hey, look at my a$$).

I love to see a tattoo that MEANS something. I hate to see a tattoo that is basically body clip-art. Why even bother?
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #39  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I want a wrist tattoo sooo bad, but I have a system.

I have one tattoo, on my back, of a unicorn. Means a lot to me. I wanted it for 5 years, and I love it more and more every day (I'm odd). So now I want a moon/star on my inner wrist, but I'm waiting for 5 years to make sure that's really actually what I want. I go back and forth between the moon/star (for my mom) and a butterfly (for me). Maybe eventually I'll get both.

If it means something to you, go for it. I like your ideas, and I tend to go for more smaller than larger, but that's me.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #40  
Dagny

S/C/G: 145/140.8/115

Just my $0.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic View Post
Anyway, I'm really unsure about it, because it's my first tattoo. At first, I was completely against getting a tattoo, but now I would like to get at least one. I am, however, very worried that I might really dislike it as I grow older (I know my mind changed a lot).
If you are in doubt about it, I would wait. I have nothing against tattoos (I have three myself) but I wouldn't rush into anything permanent. Since the idea to get a tattoo is a fairly new idea, I would wait until you get to your goal weight. If it's still something you want, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic View Post
I've heard that wrist tattoos are also fairly painful and they're probably not the best choice for someone with their first tattoo, but I really wouldn't want to hide it. I don't think. Maybe some day I would? I don't know.
I don't think that something the size you're looking at will be too painful. The most painful one for me was on my back- the wrist was small and took about 20 minutes- not bad. Also, if it's something you want to cover for job interviews, etc.. you have the option of watches, bracelets, or long sleeves.

~Dagny
Mommy in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #41  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

I too have considered getting a tattoo for some time. A close friend of mine started getting flower tats a couple years ago because 'she likes them' and they ARE very pretty, but, i worry for her because they arent something she thinks over very long, and they are all picked from a design book.

I personally have wanted a tattoo for a long time, and as a kid it was 'cool' but as I have gotten a little older I definitely have decided I will not get something unless it really has meaning for me because of something truly life changing or of great importance. For example, the last couple years have been very hard and also very eye opening, and I have put a lot of effort into changing myself from a very bad time in my life..this is something I have considered getting a tat for but like most others here have said, I am going to wait a long time before I decide for sure, especially since I have not decided exactly what design I would like..( I have been sketching some ideas for some time) I also liked the idea of drawing the design in the same spot you would like it every month to get an idea of what it would be like..too bad i cant reach around to the back of my shoulder!

Last edited by Phoenix301; 07-02-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #42  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

I hate my tattoos. I ruined my body. More power to people who get them and love them forever, I thought I'd be one of those people too, but now I am just hot & sweaty all the time from wearing long sleeves and pants to cover my scribbles in hot summer temps.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #43  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Thanks again for the continued advice.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #44  
No excuses, No regrets.

S/C/G: 278/190/175

Height: 5'9

As funny as it may seem... a few years ago, I was an apprentice in a tattoo parlor. I have personally tattooed many people... But as it turns out, I myself, dont have any tattoos yet!

Why? Because I always said I was going to wait till I looked good enough to pull off the tattoo. I always felt I looked too fat to have one...

I WILL Be getting my tattoos this year though, no matter what. It is about loving yourself and doing something that you feel is right for you. NO one can tell you if the tattoo is right or wrong. If you love it and it means something to you then do it.

Good luck with your decision! And as an artist i have to throw in... Make sure and go to a reputable parlor, and make sure you do ALL the after care!

-La Vie Boheme
La Vie Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #45  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1534 View Post
My wrist tattoo doesn't get noticed any more than my others...

...As far as you know.

I think we could use a lot more input in here from a demographic other than 20-Somethings.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote