Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Exercise and weight loss question..

Can I lose weight just by eating healthy and not exercising? If I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day will the weight still come off if I dont exercise?
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

yup!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285(after pregnancy)/267/150

Height: 5'7"

Yes, if you eat less calories than your body needs in a day, you will lose weight. Without exercise, however, your body will lose not only fat, but muscle mass as well. This will, over time, reduce your metabolism and lower the amount of calories your body needs.
gerbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 372/297/210

Height: 6'5"

Yes, but exercise does help increase your metabolism which would make it come off faster.

After hurting my knee I only ever walk my dog every few days and as long as I eat right it keeps coming off. In the end diet is the major factor in weight loss, exercise just helps. :P
josten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You always hear it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. But that 20% is important!

If you are having a hard time keeping up with exercise and diet then I suggest just focusing on diet.

For the longest time my friend would eat crap all day then go work out at the gym for two hours. Yet he told me he didn't understand how he wasn't losing any weight. I told him he's easily consuming over 3000 calories a day that's why. I find there are times in my life where working out is just not something I can always fit in- so I just try to make sure I eat well at least
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #6  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Not to be rude but you keep asking the same things...There is no miracle answer, meaning that this can be done easily without work, that you can eat everything and lose weight, that's not the case.

Like Beerab said, its 80% diet and 20% exercise.

You just have to jump right in, find what's right for you and do it.

I hope that didn't come across as being ugly... it's just the truth of the matter.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #7  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Not to be rude but you keep asking the same things...There is no miracle answer, meaning that this can be done easily without work, that you can eat everything and lose weight, that's not the case.

Like Beerab said, its 80% diet and 20% exercise.

You just have to jump right in, find what's right for you and do it.

I hope that didn't come across as being ugly... it's just the truth of the matter.

It doesn't seem like she's spamming the boards or anything with the same question, thus making this comment a little unnecessary. If you felt it was a redundant question, you didn't have to answer her thread.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I think feral was just trying to say that she has repeatedly asked similar questions... questions with what seem to be obvious answers thats all.

she has asked quite a few times about carbs, exercise and calories... I find them redundant myself personally as well.
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #9  

I suddenly feel very unwelcome here! I come to this message board for support becuase I feel I cant go anywhere else with it (friends and family). I am sorry if you all feel I am asking the same questions over and over. I am trying to understand what really works by hearing people's personal stories and opinions. Sometimes its hearing the same answers over and over IS what helps me get through the day. A way of confidence. If you dont like me asking "redundant" questions, then please dont read them.

Thank you Jay for the support. It is very much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
Can I lose weight just by eating healthy and not exercising? If I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day will the weight still come off if I dont exercise?
Yes you can, but you may not be happy with the results.

The one thing I've realized is that while you can change your diet, without adding exercise you may still have the same physical body shape and what not, just a bit thinner.

I noticed as soon as I added an adequate amount of exercise to my day but I ate the same my body shape started to change as I toned and firmed up, before that while I was losing physical pounds I really couldn't see the difference in my body at all.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #11  

Audrina,

Is it weight training that helps you see a difference or can just simple cardio "change" the way your body looks? I build muscle so easily so im terrifed of weights!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Quote:
Audrina,

Is it weight training that helps you see a difference or can just simple cardio "change" the way your body looks? I build muscle so easily so im terrifed of weights!
Well, I only added the weight training about three months ago now. Before I did that I could see a huge difference just by doing cardio. Since I've started doing weight training - and I wouldn't even call it that, it's just hand weights and resistance training - I've noticed my muscles have firmed up under all that fat. I haven't bulked up at all though, they are long, lean muscles.

I know that through things like ballet, the bar method, or yoga you can do to encourage long, lean muscles instead of just bulk, especially if you easily build muscle mass.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #13  

It will work but it won't work anywhere near as fast or as well as if you exercise. The impression I honestly get from the first post OP is that you either don't want to or cannot exercise for some reason? Which is it?

The answer can help us help you find a way to work out some physical activity that might suit you.

Last edited by honeythorn; 06-29-2010 at 05:25 PM.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #14  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Audrina,

If you're terrified of becoming "bulky" or looking like power lifting dude, you shouldn't be. It is impossible to have that extent of muscles, without taking hormones such as testosterone. You may feel like you build muscle easily, but you're building the right type of muscle!

Eating less calories than you burn will make you lose weight, as everyone has said, but exercising (cardio AND weight training) will definitely make it come off faster, and give you a better figure (and make you healthier!)
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Exercise can also give you an opportunity to make non-weight loss goals, which can help if you have times where you struggle with losing weight but need something to motivate you to keep going
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote