Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #1  
Happy in LA!

S/C/G: 244/224/170

Height: 5'7

Default FAST weight loss needed. Back is OUT.

Hi Guys,

I know this isn't the best question to be asking but you are more girls and I depserately need help.

My back has been out for 6 weeks now. Havent been able to exercise drive walk or do most of anything. I've had to give up my beloved capoeira classes and havent been able to hike. for the last 2 days i havent been able to work because I cant sit up straight.

my chiropractor says that i have a pinched nerve most likely caused by a slip disk and losing weight will help me avoid surgery.

how do i lose weight if i cant move? i need help desperately.

at this point, because im in so much pain, im willing to do anything.

what are the fastest and most effective weight loss methods? im hoping i can lose 20 pounds fast and then atleast be able to run or swim to help me lose more. surgery is not an option, i mean i just turned 24, i shouldnt be having back surgery.

i need a plan now! a fast and effective plan. im considering slim fast but that just sounds lame. i dont know what to do because i've never had to resort to a quickie diet but i just cant take this anymore. its agonizing torture.

please help. im a vegetarian by the way.
calisa86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #2  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Hi, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Question, I'm really a bit confused, please pardon me....since you're a vegetarian (are you a new vegi?), why are you considering Slim Fast? Limiting calories, carb, sugar, fat and sodium intake and balancing nutrition within vegetarianism is quite simple. The carbs, sugars and sodium in Slim Fast are just outrageous....and it has double the calories and significantly lower amounts of protein in each can VS a single scoop whey protein shake (which is your best bet).

On a natural path (without drugs, starving yourself or surgery), it really cannot go any faster than being a calorie counting vegi (bonus for organic), being that exercise is something you are unable to do right now on a temp basis. What does your daily vegi menu look like?

There's a vegetarian forum here, you may want to take a mosey over to it for additional help.

Last edited by MissKelly; 05-30-2010 at 06:41 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5'10

I had back surgery last September. I am 25. I had a herniated disc and I dealt with the pain for a year. Having surgery was the best thing I ever did.
I also thought I shouldn't be having back surgery at 25. I was overweight but not morbidly obese or anything. I am pretty sure it was brought on by an old injury from high school volley ball I had back problems since it happened but they suddenly got MUCH worse and I couldn't deal anymore. I tried physical therapy, chiropractor, and steroid injections with no improvement so surgery was the only option. I look back now and wish I had done it sooner.

I don't have advice on quick weight loss just watch what you are eating. I know there are exercises that are supposed to be good for your back/core strength and those may help even though they didn't help me.

http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html

If you haven't already I would advise that you see someone other than a chiropractor you may need an MRI to find out for sure this isn't something more serious. They may also give you a short period dose steroid pack or a Rx strength anti inflammatory of some sort. I even had an injection of an anti inflammatory once. I had shooting pain all the way down my leg with my herniated disc certain movements made it worse but it pretty much hurt all the time and I was miserable for a WHOLE YEAR ... it was horrible.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #4  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I am so sorry you are in pain! Back problems are the worst! I am also a vegetarian and I count calories. Most diets are 80% nutritional/20% physical, so changing your eating habits can really help to lose enough weight to be able to exercise. I eat whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, nuts and avocados (limited) and sometimes egg whites and nonfat milk. I avoid cheese, all meats (of course), overly salty or sugary foods, and white bread.

Do you think you might be able to swim soon? As a non-weight bearing activity, it would take the strain off of your back and you would still be able to exercise. Good luck and hang in there!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #5  
Mommy on a Mission

S/C/G: 201/198/188

i have a cousin that lost 27 lbs in one month just by cutting out soda, bread and pasta. I am trying to get there, right now i am cutting down and no soda. My friend only cut it out at dinner and did bike riding and lost weight...
good luck. i have a bad back too but i been pushing myself and i don't seem to be in pain like before.
ValerieJean is offline   Reply With Quote