Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default What gym do you go to?

I go to Snapright now. Not a HUGE fan, but it works and it's affordable - I pay about 40$ a month I think. I want something more, with fitness classes, nutritional coaches if I wanted, etc. etc.

I'm looking at lifetime right now because a friend goes there and then we could go together.

Anyone go there?

Where do you go - and how do you like it - and how much do you pay for what kind of program?

I figure you all would be the best critiques, thanks in advance!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I just use my school's gym. We just built it and since my school fees went up, darn it, I'm gonna make it worth it!

Its fine, much better than the old one that didn't have A/C...or much of anything. I like that each of the machines has its own TV. I just wish we had more classes, outside of the normal physical education classes
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #3  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I go to Riviera Fitness ... a fitness chain here in Florida. I paid $200 for an annual membership for the second year. It is nice gym but not super fancy (no juice bars, etc.) and it is close to my home (very important for me).
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I go to my community rec center, which is pretty new. I like that it has a pool and water park and really nice equipment, although I wish it had more elipticals. It also has a huge indoor track and it's a very family atmosphere. I don't like that the steam room and saunas are co-ed. It works for our lifestyle in the burbs. We pay $50 for a family membership.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I go to Anytime Fitness. I pay $54/month for me and my hubby. I love that each cardio machine has it's own tv and that I can go to any location in any city. There are 2 locations in my nearest city. One is fairly new, and they are still working on their aerobics area, but the one on the other side of town do have classes. Also, they have a little area that my son can hang out in if I need to take him.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

I also go to Anytime, love it! 29.99 with a corporate discount! And its like three blocks away!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I go to Les Mills and I love it, but its freaking expensive!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #8  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

We just joined 24 hour fitness...I like it pretty well. We go to a newer location so its a bit nicer (and cleaner) than some of the older ones. We pay 29 a month each and am able to all locations.

We ended up choosing 24 because we work out really late, they have alot of classes, and they also have pools which we really enjoy.
If it wasn't for LA Fitness not being open 24 hrs we probably would have joined there though.
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/308/199

Height: 5'10"

I started at Curves in June of last year, and thankfully my membership is almost up. I really don't feel like I get my $37/month worth there. Just one thing to do: the circuit. And the music they play is lame. You can't listen to your own music because then you won't hear the voice over telling you to change stations. It did get me to start exercising and I lost about 10 pounds just from going 3 times a week, so I am thankful for that. I have been working out in our apartment complex gym which is pretty nice, there's a tanning bed and indoor pool with hot tub in the gym building. I may consider a 24 hour type place soon because I want to be able to exercise when the mood strikes, and often that is after hours.
Cherry in STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I go to Planet Fitness. It's $10, no contract but the only thing I wish we had was some kind of classes. Although I know that would cost more. I thought about joining Gold's across the street from work, but then I figured I wouldn't want to drive 30 minutes to the gym on the weekends.

My PF is also 24 hours (not that I go at odd hours but it's nice to have the option!).
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I go to Gold's. It's about $35 a month, and they have tons of classes. I wish the pool was a little bigger and that we had individual TVs instead of the big ones, but there are TONS of options for cardio and strength machines and I never have to wait for someone to finish up.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I go to a small private gym that is not part of a chain. It's very elegant & spa-like, as it should be, since I pay $85 per month. But that's all-inclusive -- I get to take all the classes that I want, for free, such as Pilates, yoga, spinning, Zumba (if I wanted to, which I don't) & etc.

My company also has a gym on-site, down in the basement level near our cafeteria. Some days, if I don't have a class scheduled, I head down there right after work. That's free. As it should be, since I give this company a good portion of my life, sometimes at very odd hours on my laptop from home & even while on vacation. The gym is really there to keep us captive longer. (And probably to reduce their insurance premiums.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I go to Fitness First. I have a 1 year, 1 location contract, so I pay about $21 a month. Its not bad, people are there to work out and not socialize, so I like it.

I used to belong to an independent gym that had all the Les Mills classes and that was $47 a month, but soooo worth it. I'd still be going there if I didn't move 45 minutes away.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

I'm moving in a week and trying to find a gym in my new city - it's proving difficult! There's a Curves - but as I've heard Curves is kind of a waste of money. There's some little hole in the wall gym run by a former boxing champ and his website looks like it came straight outta 1995 - sketch. I can get on base to use the base gym with my boyfriend but only with my boyfriend - so I can't work out on my own schedule, just his. I have no idea what to do! Reading all these reviews is making me jealous
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #15  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry in STL View Post
I started at Curves in June of last year, and thankfully my membership is almost up. I really don't feel like I get my $37/month worth there. Just one thing to do: the circuit. And the music they play is lame. You can't listen to your own music because then you won't hear the voice over telling you to change stations.
Amen!

That's why I couldn't stand going to Curves anymore, it was good to get started and get more exercise but there's no versatility.

I just signed up at Dynamic Fitness, I think it's a local business that used to be called Lady DynaFit (or it's from the same people at least). It's 39 a month for me, no contract. If I took a contract it would have been lower but I didn't see the value in it.

There's three different areas that have five treadmills, five ellipticals, and five steppers each with three tv's infront of them. I can plug in my headphones and watch tv, or switch it to radio which is nice. I really like it there
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote