Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

I don't have a specific gym recomendation, but I recommend one that has personal televisions on the cardio equipment (you can do cardio forever if you can tune into a good show) and one that offers unlimitted access to group fitness classes.

I love my gym, but it is only located in North Idaho and Montana. I believe the fees are about $45 a month for 1 person and then there is a discounted family membership rate.
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #17  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I go to Anytime Fitness, although I haven't been in awhile since I like to run outside when the weather's nice. We paid about $180 for a 3 month contract for me and my fiance, but we took advantage of some specials that turned that into 6 months for the same price. Plus, we're lucky in that my health insurance provider reimburses gym memberships up to $200 a year, and my company matches that - so we basically got paid for our contract.

As far as gyms go, I like it - I wish it had classes, but I do enough dance classes outside of it that I don't know if I'd really take advantage of them if they were offered. Most importantly, it's close to my house, open 24 hours and all of the equipment has those fancy personal TVs. Works for me!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I go to the gym at our local community college. It is $100 for 6 months. It isn't a huge place, but it has a walking track plus pretty good selection of weight machines, ellipticals, treadmills & bicycles. They do have classes for Yogalaties, Zumba & a weekly boot camp, but they cost extra. I've been very happy with it.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 05-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

My husband's company is a health support company that offers gym memberships to insurance carriers which means we reap benefits - we get free memberships to all kinds of gyms - it is freakin awesome. I tell him weekly - he can never leave that job! I go to YMCA, 24 hour, Anytime, Pure Fitness, and some smaller local gyms. I can't tell how lucky I am and having access to the gyms have totally made a difference in weight loss since I can go at work, on my way from work, or at home.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #20  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i go to lifetime .. it's like 65 a month but you can get a discount through your insurance if you go a certain # of times a month. i like it because of the variety of machines, the steam room & the sauna!
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #21  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I go to the YMCA and I love it. It has a pool, lots of equitment to use, and all these classes. It can be a bit expensive, but they have this thing called the scholarship program, that if you cant afford to pay that much they take off a certain amount and slash the price for you. So since i have school and such and really cant afford 51 dollars a month on a gym membership I only have to pay 21!

and its family orientated so there isn't a bunch of muscle heads or too tan really skinny chicks walking around in tank tops and super short shorts.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #22  

Height: 5'6

I go to my college's gym most often, which I enjoy. (Especially because I go to a women's college so it's basically an all-women gym other than the few male grad students or faculty that use it.) My apartment also has a small fitness center with a weight machine, an elliptical, and a couple of treadmills that I use as well. I don't pay a separate monthly bill for either, which is great.

After college I've considered joining the YMCA because a lot of them have special "young adult" rates for people 24/25 or younger.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I miss the YMCA...I used to work at one in Chattanooga, TN. We don't have one around here.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I go to 24 Hour Fitness, mostly because I like having the option of working out at really random times of the day.
gigantosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #25  
Samantha417

I use my university's gym during the school year, and I currently have a summer membership at Retro Fitness.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #26  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I go to Gold's Gym, and I'm really pleased with it. I pay $19.95/month and I'm NOT on a contract, so I can cancel anytime with a month's notice. It's literally right across the street from my apartment complex, open 24hrs on weekdays and all daylight hours on the weekends. It's clean, the staff is friendly, there are personal TVs on most of the cardio equipment, and I have never had to wait to use a machine or a machine with a TV. They even have a cinema room which is a dark room with a movie playing on a big screen with a bunch of cardio machines in there. You can get a schedule of the movies they're playing each day (all new releases, they played Avatar yesterday). They also have a ton of classes that are free with the membership. Apparently my $19.95/month doesn't cover the free classes, but I go anyways and nobody cares. Sometimes, the staff will walk around inviting/encouraging you to go to the classes, so don't ask don't tell, haha. But I've done yoga, zumba, and body pump and they have others.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote