Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Missed/late period....Update!

I have always been regular like clockwork, but this month I've been waiting and waiting. It could just be that I'm obsessing over it and delaying it, but...it should have come by now. It feels like a prego scare, I'm going to the bathroom every 10 min to see if it started. If I feel any discomfort I think "Was that a cramp?" And no, I am definitely not pregnant. My guy has been in Iraq for 8 months and I'm not a cheater.

I'm not on any birth control or anything. Like I said, I don't think I've ever missed a period, I've always been regular.

The only thing I can think of is not getting enough fat in my diet which is screwing with my estrogen levels. I track my calories 95% religiously, and almost every single day, I'm way low in the fat department. Over the last few months, my average daily fat intake is 67% what it should be, and often, it'll be less than half the daily requirement. I don't really do this intentionally, I do not fear eating fats. I just tend to go for volume with my calories. Although I love peanutbutter, I'd rather have a huge bowl of veggies than a little blob of PB for the same calories.

My body fat percentage isn't anywhere close to too low, I wouldn't think. My BF% scale says 23%, and I'd actually say that was a fair estimate. I still have plenty of fat stores.

I'm really kind of freaking about this. I've never missed a period before and I'm a huge hypochondriac to begin with. Any health issues scare the heck out of me.

Edit: Thought I'd also add...I've been very stressed this month with finals. And for the last couple days obsessing over my period. But I've been very stressed out before and it's never caused me to miss one.

Last edited by mkendrick; 05-18-2010 at 08:48 AM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

Hey I'm a natural stress head an hypocondriac too and I really think this could be due to stress. I once missed a period while I was revising for exams and got sooooo stressed out about it that I ended up missing 2 more (I didn't have a guy at the time as wasn't sexually active). As soon as exams were over and the stress went away they came back fairly quickly.

However, if it's really bothering you then I suggest you just pop in to see your doctor, that should put your mind at rest since they will probably say the same thing and if there IS anything then they can sort it

Good luck x
jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  
Samantha417

You're stressed, that's all. Usually with significant weight loss your period can be off as well. When I first lost 40 lbs, I didn't have a period for 4 months and then it finally came back. So it could be a mix of both of that. Stop worrying about it, wear a liner so you're covered if it does start, and just go on with your day!! The more you think about it, the more stressed you'll be.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #4  
One step at a time

Well, that's somewhat reassuring...I think I'll go crazy if I don't have it for four months!

I've been Googling (which is dangerous...every time I get on WebMD, I have myself diagnosed with cancer...like I said, major hypochondriac), and everywhere says that stress and "rapid weight loss or gain" can lead to a missed period. Well I have been stressed before, this is my senior year of college, it's not like this was the first time I've been through finals. And I don't think my weight loss was that rapid. I have lost 45lbs in 7 months, and I've done it in a decently healthy way.

Since my period has always been regular, I've never bothered to track it. It just comes when it comes. That being said, this was the first time I've ever recorded the start of my TOM and waited for it to come. Maybe I just have a long cycle. My last period started on April 8. It's now May 15...and I started expecting it around May 6th. I kept saying "aaany day now" and getting more and more freaked out about it each day it didn't come.

I really just need to snap out of it and take a chill pill, lol. I get so worked up about stuff like this that it's all I can think about, and that is counterproductive to the situation.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #5  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Have you changed or increased your exercise recently? For me, I have PCOS and I only started having regular periods in the last few years (regardless of my weight) and the amount/type of exercise I was doing was the key factor.

Maybe just take a couple of days off? Eat a little over your calories, add some healthy fats, take a few days off exercising and just try and relax a little. Go for a long walk instead. Take a bath or something.

And I'm sure stress is a component. Just try not to think about it. Since my periods have regulated I still go through the odd month where I'm almost a week late. It happens. It'll come.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #6  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5''

My best guess would be like everyone else said-- stress or a major change in exercise. I know that when I have exercised heavily in the past (or at least heavier than I was used to), that would delay it by 4-6 days (and yes, I freaked out too!). If you want the best peace of mind though, go see the OB/GYN, because they know absolutely everything when it comes to all of that and can tell you exactly what the issue may be.

Good luck!
tiffieturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #7  
One step at a time

Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't had any major change in exercise. I do exercise routinely, but I wouldn't say it's excessive or anything. I do 45-60 min of cardio 4-5 times/week and 30 min of strength training 3 times/week. I get my heart rate up, but I don't work out to exhaustion or anything. I've always thought my workouts were relatively pitiful compared to other people, lol.

I've been really trying to relax tonight. After two weeks of finals then looong hours at work this week, it's hard to just slow down. I did a really easy work out this morning (just walking) and have taken a bath, took a nap, watched a movie, and just hung out on the couch.

Apparently it's normal to miss a period once in awhile. At least, it's not something to freak out about. But I'm going to be waiting obsessively to see if my next one comes, and I can't do that either. I wish I could just chill out about it, lol.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

This is kinda a TMI question, but do you *feel* like you're getting it? Mine's been 10 days late before (now that I thought about it and remembered that extra week of pms - blegh) but I could still feel like I was getting it...so I knew it was coming. It took a while longer.

On another note, my friend has been a healthy weight since she was about 15 and she went four months without getting it one time. I told her to go to the doctor and right after she booked the appointment it came, but there was no reason for it to happen. She'd gone off birth control after a breakup but that was months before she missed her periods. I guess hormone fluctuations happen to everyone at some point.

And your relaxing day sounds lovely. I'm jealous. Haha.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #9  
One step at a time

Rockstar, I do kind of feel like I'm getting it. I've been BLOATED for the last few days. And I've almost been wanting it to come just for some relief from that, lol. But other than that, no other signs. No cramps or anything. I started a thread about my fat day, and I just feel fat and sluggish because I've been so bloated.

This is lame, lol. I've never wanted to bleed from a body part so badly in my life, haha.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #10  
Running Fiend.

Bahaha. Oh god, I've been there. I'm like "you were supposed to be gone by the time I had to wear _____, hurry up and get here".

That's usually what it is for me...the excessive bloating. It'll probably show up in a few days.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #11  
One step at a time

Update!

Well, this morning clouds parted, angels sang, and God said "Megan shall start her period!"

Sooo, I finally started, and am learning what the words "be careful what you wish for" mean because I've got some killer cramps. But oh well, at least I know my body is still working, haha. I can't wait to weigh myself in a few days, my gosh, being bloated for the last week and a half has been killer on my morning weigh ins.

So thank you everyone for putting up with my very TMI and excessively paranoid posts, haha.