Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #16  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

My mother is a late-stage alcoholic, is literally mentally psychotic (as in diagnosed psychosis as well as extreme bipolar), and is currently floating between jail, the homeless shelter, and various lovers. I talk to her every few months, but an intelligent conversation is virtually impossible. I usually have to remind her that I'm in college (I've been at the same university for 4 years). I see her once ever few years.

My dad and I are decently close, but we have a relationship that is comfortably maintained at a distance. We'll talk through facebook or yahoo messenger and see each other once a year or so. But we almost always get along and see eye to eye. He's remarried, and I love my stepmom, she's great.

Basically, I'm an only child my parents were divorced when I was 7, I had a rocky childhood with my mother who was kind of keeping herself together at the time. I went to boarding school across the country when I was 14, and I have gone back home less than 10 times for no more than two weeks at a time since (I'm 22 now).
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

My family is sort of all over the place. My parents divorced when I was 4, and then both parents remarried when I was 9 and 10. I have 3 younger siblings (half and step), and I am close with my two baby sisters, 8 and 5. My dad and I have never really been all that close, but I live with him. It gets pretty rocky sometimes. My step mom and I are somewhate close. Its hard though because both my dad and stepmom are very judgemental, so when I have things that I need to talk about, I talk to my mom.

My mom and I have a pretty good relationship. For a while, we didnt get along very well. We are working things out, and she is always there when I need her. My moms family has always been close.

My dads family not so much. I havent seen my dads family for 2 years. And most of the time, I go as long as 5 years without seeing them. I am not very comfortable being around my dads family, so the distance doesnt bother me that much.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I am actually really close with my family. I live about 2 hours away from them, but we get along great and stay in touch...well, my immediate family anyway. I get along with other people in my family, but we just don't see each other as often. I guess I'm pretty lucky. My mom and dad have been married for 27 years. I have a brother and a sister. My brother and I get along really good and have for a while now. My sister is 8 years younger than I am and we just really do not have anything in common. So, I tolerate her most of the time. She would probably hate to hear that, but, sadly, it's the truth.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #19  

My brother still lives at home with my parents and the three of them are realy close, my parents werent ever really good to me and to this day ony call me when they want something. I do however have an amazing husband who's given me 2 beautiful children (1 & 3). I dont care much for my inlaws, they've given me nothing but grief. My mother in law is very pushy and still thinks my husband needs to run everything by her first, even though shes made no effort to be a grandmother to our children. his parents actually told him he was a loser for going to college!!! I cant stand my sis in law, but shes trying to force a close relationship with me, still not sure how to handle that one, since shes done some pretty evil things to me, and now that she thinks he hubby's cheating on her she wants to be all buddy buddy....
jcurran23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

My parents are still married and were all very close... My younger sister is like my best friend.

My mom has 3 sisters and no other family and they all talk to eachother daily...its so cute yet weird at the same time....

My dads family is also close and we get together often with his side of the family.

I have a half brother who is older who I have only known about for the last year and a relationship is there but basically non existent... I assume he wants more because he is the one who found me however he doesnt put a lot of effort into making plans and stuff and in my life I've never had a brother so I'm ok with that... If that makes me a horrible person..sorry?
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #21  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

A little background to start... growing up we were the tight-knit family who went everywhere together. Fast forward... my mom left my father when I was 17 in my senior year of high school. She moved in with a guy, who she was engaged to before she met my father, across the entire states and took my younger brother with. Fast forward to now... I get along with everyone except my father. He and I talk on the phone about once a month (and live 20mins from each other). He endlessly tries to criticize so contact is minimized to holidays. My older brother got used a lot by my parents and in turn is a little bitter toward all of us. I think the older he gets now, he lets up a little, but he's not who he used to be when we were close. We talk about once every couple weeks and conversations are getting better - but I have to call him. I used to be superclose to my older sister, but after her drama surrounding my wedding a year and a half ago she stopped talking to me for the most part. We usually text each other to check in once a week since she has my three nieces. My younger brother and I didn't get along until he was a senior in high school. He's in the ARMY now and we're much closer than we've ever been, he and I talk a few times a week. My mom and I are close, we talk most every day for a few minutes at least.
I'm very grateful for my husband's family. His parents are still married (30 years last year) and his grandparents are still around. His dad's side is HUGE and I get along with e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e which is really cool. Not to mention for holidays, they invite everyone! lol, great fun!

All in all, I would prefer to be closer to my siblings, but I can't complain about our relationships now. At least we all talk to each other and can get together anytime and be happy.

Last edited by stargzr; 05-13-2010 at 10:15 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote