Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #1  
Goodbye Taco bell

S/C/G: 175/158/135

Height: 5'5"

Default FAT in the MILITARY

I personally joined the military weighing 145 pounds. I was lean and I was very in shape. I was the perfect specimen for the military standards. Now being in the guard I wasnt always in the "military mind set" and over the course of 3 years I got up to 175. a weight gain of 30 pounds!!! I didnt see it as a problem (other then being unhappy with how I looked) until I went to get promoted and get denied for failing my PT!!!! Now at first I was angry. 70% of the guard are over weight!!! But I had no one to blame but myself. So I have made a commitment to myself to drop the weight and put onward with my military career.

I am opening this post for anyone who is currently in the military fit or over weight on tips and chat about staying fit in the military.
Airforcechick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

not in the military, but that drove me crazy. when I went in to sign up, I weighed about 160 I think at 5'1" which they didn't like. But I looked around and about a third of the people there were fatter than me! Seems like they need to either loosen the weight requirements or make it such that if you're in the military you need to maintain in the weight range that you needed to be able to get in.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

My boyfriend is an Army officer, and he's technically "overweight," per their standards, but he has a low body fat percentage. "Fat" is the last thing you'd think of when looking at him, but he's quite muscular. He gets taped all the time.

Just wondering, did you fail the PT because of being over the weight/height limit or was it because you weren't fit enough to pass the PT test (pushups, run time, etc)? I guess I don't really know how that works, but if your promotion is depending on just passing the PT test, it shouldn't take too long to get in shape. Probably less time than to lose weight.

I personally don't think that the military should adjust their fitness standards to accomodate for Americans becoming more overweight. It's a physical job, and the physical standards are necessary.

Welcome to 3FC, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Congrats on the 17lbs you've already lost, and good luck losing the rest of it
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

OP.... I need you. I am losing weight so I can JOIN the Air Force. I am about halfway to the weight for my height, 165 lbs is what I need to weigh.

You can do it! We can both get in shape together, you to get back to where you were and for me to get to what I need to be.

I am personally eating right, counting calories, running, and weight lifting. I am going to get my body healthy and in shape for the standards and PT. Maybe we can be online buddies since our end goals, military shape, are basically the same?
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #5  
Goodbye Taco bell

As far as our PT standards go (they are changing this year) but as of right now...

Pushups- 10 points
situps-10 points
Run- 50 points
waist- 30 points

each catagory you get a certain amount of points depends on how many you do how long it takes you to run and what your waist size is. You must score a 75% in order to pass.

As far as what I am doing presently to lose weight...Well I am in Afghanistan (I leave in less then 2 weeks) So I have been dedicated to the gym and also the food here is aweful but not alot of choices so its hard to set a "diet". When I get back home I plan on going on a fitness program with my BF (he is in the army) so he will be a good workout companion.....
Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/180/165

Height: 5'8''

@kabaker I am new to posting in the forum, but I was so excited to find this thread. I have been working to get to 165 to join the Army as a Chaplain Candidate. It's been slow, but somewhat steady. I'd love to know what's been working for you? I had a couple sessions with a personal trainer and have been working at Couch to 5k. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from sticking to my routine and living a better life overall.
amfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #7  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

I never knew they have weight requirements for the military.....
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #8  
Goodbye Taco bell

there is a weight requirement for entry. You must be between certain bracket for your height or they will not take you....once your in though weight really doesnt matter, although every PT test (airforce) they will weigh you but it doesnt go toward your score, your waist measurement does though...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #9  
active-duty Navy

S/C/G: 173/xx/140

Height: 5'1"

hey, i'm active duty Navy.

crash-dieted 15 lbs to join 2 years ago, and now i'm 30 lbs heavier than that. luckily i was exempt from this past PRT bc i just PCS-ed but UGHHH now I gotta lose this by the next cycle. i want to do it healthily and keep it off for LIFE!
allison6689 is offline   Reply With Quote