Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default whyyy why whyy

WHY do I do this EVERY TIME? I will lose 15 lbs or so, be really happy in how my fittness, diet, EVERYTHING is going and then just quit! I am sick of doing this. I need this weight to come off. Does this happen to anyone else?? Any ideas why I keep doing it??

I need you gals to keep me on track!
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6"

i've done that a few times.. my worst was last year, when i was on the nutrisystem diet. i lost 10lbs in 2 months.. and i was finally 185.. then i just gave up. it was getting closer to my mom's 1 year memorial, so it could have played a part..

then even though i gained 7lbs extra from before i started nutrisystem, i decided i wanted to once and for all conquer it.. and here i am now.. but now i can't get lower than 187 for the life of me
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I'm at the EXACT same place! I lost almost 15 pounds and I'm not gaining it back, I'm still eating well, I just haven't been serious about it! It's so frustrating, we just HAVE to keep going! I really have no idea why it happens, I wish I did so I could fix it, my only solution is to just tell myself that the good feeling you get when the scale drops isn't going to happen anymore, and I know I'm not ok with that. We can do it though!
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9

Not to get all psychological on anyone, but I struggle with this too (I've been up and down between 205-220 for 6 mos.) so I looked into it. I've read that 15 pounds is a common time for people to give up because that's when the weight loss starts to become apparent, that's when we notice change. A lot of people struggle with change in general, and often subconciously. For people who have been overweight their entire lives there may be apprehension hiding behind all the excitement about getting thin. After all, you look different to yourself, others, and image is a huge part of our society and the way we view the world. Things like having to live up to your new figure (sometimes people associate being thin with being their ultimate selves and dont feel ready). Even simple things like worrying your friends will think you're vain for focusing on dieting, something that has some stigma among women who focus the majority of their lives on pursuits outside themselves and want to viewed by the world as intelligent. Of course, there are flipsides to all of these -- my point is that weight loss is about more than calories in and calories out, it's emotional too.

I haven't been overweight my entire life, actually it's only been two years. But there were some difficult things going on in my life when I gained the weight, and finding out about this study and change made me sit down and think about how I actually felt about losing weight. I realized that everyday I think i want to lose the weight so much, and I do, but that there were some related things that definitely worried me about being thin again too.

Just some (food) for thought, haha. I'm no expert, but I couldn't help but pipe up on a couple things that hit home on this board this afternoon - and this is definitely one of them. I'm working on this, and trying to avoid self sabotage daily. Nice to know I'm not alone on this rebound thing.
Scatterheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11

Story of my life! I have lost and quit and lost and quit and lost and quit. I have managed to maintain but I also have times where I stall, which is why It has taken me soo long to lose this weight. Its taken me almost 3 years to lose 95lbs BUT i have also realized that I have been maintaining my weight loss as I go along. Just don't give up! If you have a bad day/week/month just start over. Slow and steady wins the race
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/130/115

Height: 5'4"

I am in exactly the same situation. I lost 15 lbs, was really happy and then for the past 2 weeks have lost all motivation. I haven't figured out what happened. I guess work became stressful and I found it hard to focus my attention on diet and exercise. I guess it's also that I went out of town to visit a friend, indulged myself for the weekend, and never really got back on track. But I'm really glad you posted this because it's making me wake up and get re-motivated. Thank you!
JenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had a fun weekend, and starting NOW I am going to track every piece of food that goes into my mouth. I also told my boyfriend that he is eating good too, as of now. haha It was hard to cook him his food, and then go back to eating my healthy food, but I think if we are both on the same page, it will help a lot.
I CAN DO THIS!!!!!
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote