Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 171.5/152.2/145

Height: 5'7''

Default how to deal with obnoxious people

Needed to rant, felt like this would be the appropriate place.

So I've been dieting since January, and up until recently it's been going pretty well except that I've kind of hit a plateau around 150 (want to eventually get down to 135). I don't consider myself fat, I just really liked the way I looked at 135 (back in the day).

Anyhow, I have a "friend," who I'm pretty sure has recently developed an ED. She's burned me bad a few times so we're not too close any more, hence why I'm going to let her figure out how to handle her own choices with food. We also live/work in a unique environment--not very many women so we kind of all have to put up with each other and can't completely ignore each other.

Well, she messed up her back a few months ago and started receiving steroid injections for the inflammation, and then all of a sudden dropped like 25 lbs, claiming the "steroids did it." Maybe I'm crazy but I don't know of any steroids that cause weight loss. I'm just so sick of hearing, "Guess how many people told me I looked really thin today? blah blah I can't help it I'm just never hungry! I can't believe I'm so thin and sooo many people are noticing!" And then she'll still do the, "I feel so fat, I look so fat in this blah blah." Meanwhile I'm at least an inch or two shorter than her and weigh at least 10-15 lbs more than she does. It's just so aggravating! Especially when you're HUNGRY and you have to actively restrain yourself from not eating whatever you want. Not eating anything at all just doesn't work for me.

To make a long story short, how do you guys deal with people like this/ has something similar ever happened to you?
stephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #2  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I ignore it or use it as fuel to work harder.
I definitely understand the annoyance when people who are OBVIOUSLY not overweight go "OMG I AM SO FAT. I AM DISGUSTING. LOOK AT THIS!" *then they pinch their skin*...
I feel like it's an intentional jab at me but I've realized its' their own insecurities. They could very well feel fat and disgusting and it has nothing to do with you. What I did was stop taking it personally and just focus on myself.

She sounds toxic to be around.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Ugh, I know someone like this. She had the nerve to mention to me that members of my organization, implicitly including me, were jealous of her because she is a size 6 and dresses like it. Now I use her as evil motivation, so I can have the goal of thinking "Oh, you are a 6? I'm a 4, jerkface."

That said, I worry occasionally about being the obnoxious person. I'm still surprised by my ever-changing body and the numbers on the scale and occasionally I express that to people I am close to, but I don't want to annoy them.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

What a liar! I'm sorry that you have to deal with this mean person, it sounds like she has extreme self esteem issues, it has nothing to do with you. I get steroid injections for my back problem too and they DO NOT kill your appetite, maybe for a day or two when it is sore so you feel a little sick, but not to drop 25 pounds, she probably has a ed like you said because that is a lot of weight to lose quickly so she probably did not do it healthily.
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
To make a long story short, how do you guys deal with people like this/ has something similar ever happened to you?
I don't know what to tell you. It has been a long time since I had someone like that in my life.

Do your best to minimize contact and try to ignore the ED talk.

That's basically it in a nutshell -- if it is really ED, it's ED talk. There isn't anything you can do about it. It's her place (and perhaps her family) to get her professional help.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I have a friend at work - she's like 5'2, 120 lbs - she's always saying, oh I feel soooo fat. At that point I go, Samantha, I'm leaving because you're being ridiculous.

It is their own insecurities, and it is hard to ignore them, but like a previous poster said, I use it to fuel my work outs. There's nothing like a work out based on frustration.

Also - sometimes steroids can cause people to lose their appetite...but she should still stfu.

Last edited by stellarosa27; 04-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #7  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

I had a friend in highschool who was on the cross country team. She now runs for UF and she was around 5'9 and 130-135 lbs. At this point in life I was around 220. I remember her always saying "I'm so fat. I feel so fat..." and I was like what? Then sometimes she'd say stuff about my weight and be like "What are you around 145-150?" I clearly wasn't. Not even close. She also was in charge of our groups costumes for some school thing and she went and got the shirts and asked what size do you need, a small or medium? This was from some hollister-esque store where I could totally not shop. I was like, really? You know damn well those are NOT going to work. At the time I didn't and still don't know why she did that. Its a little unsettling especially because this was one of my best friends and she did not have an ed. lame.
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #8  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

The steroid stuff aside, because some can make you lose weight (a friend of mine was on Clenbuterol which can drop pounds like mad), her talk is totally weird and I agree that you should ignore it. It's not worth dealing with that day in and day out!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242.6/198.8/145

Height: 5'4''

I would ask her if she is putting on weight next time you see her, then walk away lol...

On a serious note....I cannot stand people like this,i have a friend that wears a size 2 and does this all the time too me, lately i have been ignoring her though
Phoenixsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #10  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

This girl sounds like she is so focused on herself she probably doesn't realize that she is obnoxious to others. She also sounds very insecure. I'd just make a point of excusing myself and walk away when she starts with that stuff.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #11  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Oh gosh, I definitely have a friend like this. She's lost a lot of weight over the past 2 years, and still complains about how fat she is. She's probably an inch or so taller than me, not sure how much she weight but she's just sooo skinny now, her legs scare me! But yeah, she's always going on about how she needs to lose just 5-10 pounds more how she feels so fat blah blah blah..uh hi, you're not fat have you seen me?

It's best to just ignore comments like that. People can be very ridiculous sometimes...
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Next time she says that you should say in your best sarcastic tone "OMG you are really fat! Total porker. You really should lose some weight" and then roll your eyes and walk away.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Oh you just hit a nerve there.

My best friend is like that! We have been friends for the last 14 years and there are days she can drive me nuts! She is 163 cm and 66 kg and she knows, she really does, that the only thing I was ever jealous of is her body. For me she is gorgeous.

Now I don't complain about her not being supportive or ever being rude because I can say she was always my biggest supporter. It is just that she has this view of herself that she is huuuuuuggeeeee!!! And she keeps saying about how this guy would never notice her cause she is fat, or how she can never wear anything sleeveless because her arms are huge. This really kills me cause she can take it to such extreme and she is telling it to someone who would kill for such a body.

I don't judge my friend cause her mother has caused that complex when we were teens (the things I have heard her mother say when we were teenagers were awful) but sometimes I just don't know how to react around her.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #14  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I feel so sorry for people who are like that, so insecure and have nothing else better to focus on. Nothing more exciting to talk about. I don't really have time for those people.

Good thing we are far more awesome!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote