Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1  
The Last 10lbs!

Default Non-Fruit Smoothies

I'm weird, and I don't really like fruit (there are a few exceptions - not many) but I'm really interested in having some kind of smoothie or something to start my day. I have searched the forums for coffee-flavoured ones but the best ones have ricotta cheese in them it seems, and that just doesn't seem right (though I'm sure it probably tastes fine... just seems weird!).

I've never made a proper smoothie before so I wouldn't really know what to start with. I am a poor student so buying expensive protein powder probably isn't likely.

Does anyone have a favourite smoothie recipe that doesn't rely on fruit for flavour? I don't eat much yogurt so I want to try to work some into my diet for more calcium and general yogurty-goodness. I'm happy with chocolate, vanilla, coffee flavoured, etc.

I live in the UK so getting some of the ingredients like LAWL or WW shake mixes isn't possible. I've never seen WW shake mixes here.

I know this is a lot to ask, but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions! Thanks in advance!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #2  
The Last 10lbs!

I found this one on the WW recipes forum, it was posted by Kelly_S:

1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon dry instant coffee crystals
Sugar substitute to equal 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
1 cup sugar-free and fat-free vanilla ice cream
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Do you think I could use yogurt in place of the ice cream, maybe even yogurt that I've frozen so it's nice and cold?

As a smoothie newbie I think this might work but I'm not sure.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #3  
LAWL ups and downs

S/C/G: 166/151.4/135

Height: 5'6"

Here are a few recipes I found online (smoothie-handbook.com). The only downside is they are pretty high in fat and calories. Not sure if they're along the lines of what you're looking for, and they seem like they might not be super fast to make on a daily basis, but its a starting point.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

1/4 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup water

1 cup pumpkin, cooked

1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

4 dashes ginger powder

4 dashes nutmeg powder

1 teaspoon stevia

1 teaspoon vanilla

8-10 ice cubes

Blend the coconut milk, water, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, stevia, and vanilla until completely smooth. Add the ice and blend again. Serves 1

237 Calories – 15g Fat – 8.5g Fiber - 5 Weight Watcher Points

Chocolate Divine

1/3 cup cashew, raw

7 dates

1 tablespoon of raw cacao

1 cup water

10 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients except the ice cubes until smooth. Add the ice cubes and blend again until smooth. Very yummy! Serves 1

426 Calories – 21.4g Fat – 6g Fiber - 9 Weight Watcher Points

Chocolate Silk

1/4 cup coconut milk

3/4 cup pure water

5 dates, pitted and soaked in the water

1/4 avocado

1 tablespoon of raw cacao

10 ice cubes

Pour the milk and water into the blender with the dates, avocado, and cacao on top. Blend. Add ice and blend until completely smooth. Serves 1

347 Calories – 22.5g Fat – 9.6g Fiber - 8 Weight Watcher Points
amhoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #4  
The Last 10lbs!

Thanks! That's definitely a good start to non-fruit smoothies! I wasn't sure there'd be many options.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #5  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Freedom - they probably suggest the ice cream because it's cold where as a lot of people that use fruit use frozen fruit to keep it cold. I don't see why you couldn't use yogurt instead. And you may be onto something by freezing it. I just don't like adding plain ice in my smoothies.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for non fruit smoothies but it looks like you're on the right path.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #6  
The Last 10lbs!

Excellent, thanks Feral. I think I might try buying some yogurt and freezing it and use it in place of the ice cream.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

freedomreins - I just had to pop in and say that I don't care for fruit as a general rule either!!! It feels good to see I'm not alone in that. There are some I like more than others, but generally speaking I'll pick a veggie over a fruit any day! Good luck on your smoothie quest!
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #8  
The Last 10lbs!

Woohoo, thanks Neon! Everyone thinks I'm such an oddball. I'd much rather have a veggie, and eat plenty, but I only really like some berries and pineapple for fruit. The smell of a lot of other fruits like apple and banana just gross me out! LOL I'm so glad there's someone else on this forum who doesn't really like fruit either!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

It may just come down to experimenting until you find a flavor that you like. You could try something like this:

cold (strong) coffee
ice cubes
plain or coffee flavored yogurt
sugar free torani syrups (these come in a TON of flavors and both flavor and sweeten)

It would pretty much be like the blended ice coffees you can get at coffee places, but with the added benefits of yogurt. I would also recommend getting nonfat greek yogurt since it's thicker and (I think) has more protein per cup.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #10  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Alright, this sounds "fruity," but the fruit tastes aren't strong at all.

- 1/2 cup vanilla light n' fit yogurt
- 1/2 cup Trop50 orange juice (just 25 cal and it adds sweetness and liquid but not a fruity taste...could be replaced with skim milk)
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder

There is a banana-ish flavor, but it's very chocolatey and peanut buttery. Bananas aren't really fruity to me anyways, lol. I make this for a dessert if I have calories to spend, it makes a big smoothie and feels like a chocolate cheat. The whole thing is about 275 cal depending on the size of the banana.

Last edited by mkendrick; 04-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #11  
Hey Goal, Here I Come! ♥

S/C/G: 282/???/160-140

Height: 5'8

i figured id try and be helpful, snce i bought the "eat what you love" recipe book and havent used it for myself yet.

heres a few i picked out for you..non fruity =]

frozen hot chocolate frosty

• 1 packet sugar-free hot cocoa
  • 1/2cup light, no sugar added ice cream
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed ice

Mix all ingredients except ice in blender. add ice to blender and mix on high till completely incorporated.

160 cals. carbs22g(sugars13g) total fat 4.5g (sat fat 3g) protein 9g fiber 2g chol15g sodium 190mg WW point comparison 3

Sensational pudding milkshakes
  • 2/3 cup low fat milk
  • 1 rounded tablespoon sugar-free instant pudding mix (flavor depends on shake youre making..see below)
  • 1/2 cup light no sugar added ice cream (again flavor depends..see below)
  • 2/3 cup crushed ice

Mix all ingrediants except ice in blender,blend to mix. add ice and blend on high until ice is completely incorperated and the shake is thick and creamy.

FLAVORS -- of course, use measurements as above.
  • Vanilla shake.
    use vanilla pudding mix, and vanilla icecream.
  • double chocolate shake
    chocolate pudding, and chocolate ice cream.
  • chocolate cookie shake
    chocolate fudge pudding mix, cookies and cream ice cream
  • marvelous Mocha shake
    chocolate pudding mix and coffee ice cream
  • strawberry cheesecake shake
    cheesecake pudding mix, and vanilla ice cream.
    PLUS 1 tablespoon sugar free strawberry jam.
  • banana cream pie
    banana cream pudding mix and vanilla ice cream.

150 cals. carbs23g(sugars 10g) total fat 3.5g(sat fat 2.5)protein 7g fiber1g chol15g sodium 500mg WW points 3

theres also a "pumped up peanut butter" smoothie..but it includes half a small banana. not sure if i should include that as well.

Last edited by JackieL; 04-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
cold (strong) coffee
ice cubes
plain or coffee flavored yogurt
sugar free torani syrups (these come in a TON of flavors and both flavor and sweeten)
We do something very similar, but with frozen-coffee-cubes instead of plain ice. It helps the flavor not get watered down.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #13  
The Last 10lbs!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! JackieL, I probably wouldn't even buy a banana so these ones you've posted are great I'm really excited to try some of these smoothies now! Just have to find the right ingredients.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #14  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I'm also not a big fruit person, but im not big on making smoothies either! Unless they involve a ton of ice cream But maybe you can try a protein shake?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

There are couple smoothies I've tried with silken tofu. There is chocolate and vanilla flavored tofu (and strawberry). If you use that with a nonfat yogurt and milk, its like a milkshake and FULL of protein.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote