Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:10 AM   #16  
hottie in training

fm-i know how you feel-somewhat.
i've had some problems with my jaw for about the last 7-8 years. it is not that bad. once in a while it flares up. i've also had some dental work done since May & i was having problems where my teeth/jaw/gums seemed to be hurting all the time. and to add to it, the insurance co. recently denied a claim from my dentist for some periodontal work. (totally necessary work that in the books says they cover!) the dentist says they have been denying all these claims for a while now, & they have resubmitted it. sometimes i really hate insurance companies.
i also can relate to your job experiences. #1- i am the only woman in all men office/almost all men company (worldwide). Granted the actual office i work in is only 4 ppl total, but everyone here is almost old enough to be my Dad. They constantly talk over me. Meetings are completely useless (most of the time) because they sit there talking about technical things that I know nothing about, yet expect me to understand everything (i have a business degree-not an engineering degree!) don't get me wrong, the guys are nice guys, but it's like you said, they are always "right" about everything! and then the head office is another country-where they don't all speak english! ah, not always fun to deal with.
i definitely think exercise will help your stress/pain levels. i swear whenever i have any pain before a workout it goes away during the workout.
i hope you feel better as the day progresses.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:48 PM   #17  

Welcome to the challenge kittykat714!

FM - I am so sorry to hear about your chronic headaches. I hope you find a solution soon.

Monique - Buying cans is probably a good idea.. plus it doesnt get flat as quickly! Good job on the exercise.. and maybe your body just needs more fuel for today?

I need to correct one goal. I need to move my exercise to 35 minutes and increase intensity. See below for why.

Well I am doing fine with the goals... except for drinking water. Its a bit too early to tell in regards to exercise, but I went Monday and I am going tonight. I have pottery on Tues/Thur so I am usually really tired by the time I get home.. so I decided not to go on those nights.

So we shall see. I am a bit worried. I used to exercise 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Now cause of school and moving its only 4 days.. and only 35 minutes (I have to sign up for blocks on the machines at the gym).
Old 09-05-2002, 08:01 AM   #18  

Good morning! Thank you everyone for the support yesterday. It felt so good to just "get it out".

The headache is still there. Dentist's office is now adding to it. I emailed information to the assistant's home address because they don't have internet in the office. That was on August 26th. I called yesterday and she said she hadn't received it (although I got no message of undelivered mail) and she thought I had just changed my mind! How presumptous! I emailed it again and said I would call today to make sure she got it.

I see the Dr. that diagnosed my TMJ next week, and will ask if he can recommend another dentist.

My mid morning walk did help a lot. I might try and do it every day, not just on the days when I weight train.

I didn't stay completely away from the TV last night, but I took a great bath, had some Tylenol PM (won't have any tonight - I actually hate taking stuff) and got in bed to read a book a 1/2 hour before my usual bedtime.

I plan to do my long version of my walk again today. And I saw a recumbant bike for $90 at Sears. I would like to find a used one, but because of my back I think a recumbant would feel better and it's hard to be so picky when shopping used. Does anyone have any experience buying a stationary bike? Any advice?

I stuck to my eating pretty much yesterday. Had a huge sub at lunch that allotted for most of my calories, but it really filled me up and I didn't eat much after that.

Today is a 1200 calorie day, and I think I have been struggling because I just don't eat enough at lunch on these days - I try to save as much as possible for dinner. So today I am going to order a BBQ chicken breast and (dry) sweet potato from the local BBQ place. I will take the skin off the chicken, and probably throw away some of it, but that will give me some extra protein to have staying power through the day.

Tanya - I wouldn't worry too much about the exercise. I got a lot of extra walking in when I went to school, it definitely made the difference between then and now (desk job). And you can always add some walking in (park far away, etc.) if it seems like you need it. BTW, I absolutely love to throw! I am so jealous that you are taking pottery. I know of a few places I could sign up around here, but I simply don't have the time. One of my goals in life is to own my own wheel and kiln.

Monique - I had a few days like that myself - completely starved and it's only 10a.m. It got out of my system, although I did give into a little (evening snacking). I buy my diet coke in cans as well. I keep them hidden in one of the vegetable crisper drawers so they aren't in line-of-sight when I open the fridge.

Jenn - I am not the only female, I work for a very large company. But we definitely are outnumbered. And the other women all seem to be family-oriented. I just don't relate when our woman's organization holds an open forum to discuss the new school busing rules and how they will effect us. But at least everyone speaks english!

kittykat714 - welcome! Sounds like you have some really good goals set.

I'm off to do some work, take care...
Old 09-05-2002, 09:11 PM   #19  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Thursday:

The past couple of days have gone okay - I have even cheated and still stayed within my point range for ww.

I have been staying to my water amounts, and have gone to the gym 3 times this week (Sun, Wed, Thur)

One bad thing though - - I did horrible on Tuesday, but it hasn't really gotten me down - I just started anew on Wednesday - I think I will be really successful with Weight Watchers so I am really pumped up now!

My friend and I are planning on doing a 1/2 marathon in November so I have to get ready for that too!

Hope all is well with everyone!!

Emily
Old 09-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #20  
hottie in training

hi everyone,
since i've been sick this last week, diet & exercise have kind of gone out the window. i did great on tuesday, but wed & thursday were so-so. i haven't been working out either, except for tuesday. i just don't have the energy. i wonder i have a sinus infection, since i cannot seem to shake this cold. it's making me crazy.

i got a thing in the mail to re-join WW. i keep looking at it, thinking i should just do it. i mean, i probably shouldn't because of the $$$ but then i think i should, because maybe the meetings would be really helpful to me. when i did it before & when i went to the meetings, that is when i lost weight. honestly i am worried about what my bf will say. i know the first thing he'll say is "i thought you didn't have any money?" and the second thing will be "you know what you have to do, just eat less". like it's that easy. the support factor is very important. i know you guys are very supportive & i thank you for it, but i think in person support is important too. men don't really seem to understand the weight loss process, and i have no "girlfriends" locally that can jump on board with me.
i am so sick of not losing weight. i feel like i am getting fatter every day!
also i should probably seriously go to OA. I looked at their website, and some of the symptoms they had showed very much what i do on a daily basis.
aaarrrrggghhh! i'm sorry, i guess i am jumping all over the place with my thoughts. let me know what you guys think!
monique-i think the journal is a good idea. i do that sometimes too. should probably do it every day, it would probably help.
lucky, good luck with the 1/2 marathon!
Old 09-06-2002, 12:15 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Hey Jenn,

I hear you about being sick. Same situation here...but I think I am managing to kick this cold! I am so GLAD! I felt HORRIBLE on Tuesday...Wednesday was worse. But yesterday was a little better, with the help of medicine all day...and well...today...I'm managing pretty well without it! So I'm excited b/c IF I can shake this cold by Monday, I may get to hold my nephew for the first time ever.

My sis called yesterday and said that my nephew is coming home from the hospital! We are all so excited that we are bouncing!! yay! He is a little over three months old. He was born VERY premature 3 1/2 months early...so this is exciting that he's going to come home for the first time.

I haven't managed exercise at all this week except for Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, no exercise, but I did stick with my eating plan all three days on that! So I'm proud of myself for that. I was worried about over exerting myself with exercise with the cold, and I honestly didn't have the strength to do much moving at all when I got off work on those days. But I think with this cold decreasing that my energy will increase and I will get exercise in every day this week! Yay!

How is everyone else?

Monique, that thing about journaling on your cravings is a great idea! I may do the same, along with you and Jenn.

Jenn, hang in there! And I hope that your cold improves. And as far as weight watchers goes....if you think it will help, I would say pay the $$ and cut the funds from else where. That's just my 2 cents!

Emily, that's exciting about the 1/2 Marathon, keep us posted on how that's going.

FM- How's your head? Any improvement with the dentist? How did your eating go yesterday?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Betty
Old 09-06-2002, 01:35 PM   #22  

No offense guys, but please don't sneeze on the computer! I cannot afford to get sick until January (and not really even then!).

Jenn & Betty - Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Jenn, definitely consider seeing a doctor. Some allergy meds might make you feel a ton better.

Monique - I keep a mini "weighloss" journal on my computer at work, and I find that the weeks I write the most, I lose the most. It just keeps you "focused" to be able to vent out all those feelings you have on food, rather than succombing to them.

Jenn - I wish I had some magic words to make you feel better. Hang in there! I wish we lived closer so we could exercise together - and our skinny men could go have pizza with out us! Don't let him talk you out of doing something for yourself. How much are the meetings? Could you skip eating out once a week to cover it?

Yesterday went pretty well, with the exception of making caramel corn. 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp. butter over six cups of popcorn isn't the worst thing in the world - and most of the "caramel" just sank/stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

So, I don't really count that as a failure except for the fact that I ate popcorn rather than vegetables or fruit. It's funny how our minds work. I bought plums as one of my fruits for the week, but with the first one I bit into a rotten spot and now I have managed to "forget" my plum every day since!

But today I am right on track. A 6" chicken terrayki sub from Subway and beets for lunch. I am making fahitas tonight which will have tons of red peppers and onions in them as well. As long as I eat my peapods, I should be on track with vegetables....we'll see about the plum...

I did my short version of my walk yesterday, but in the pouring rain and jogging more than ever. I also had done a 20 minute walk during the morning, so I consider that equal to my "long" walk.

Other than that, I faithfully stayed off the scale yesterday and today. I am scared about tomorrow. I got down to 146.5 last month (I hate 1/2 lbs!), only to gain back. I know I haven't eaten enough to warrent a huge gain, but I just have this feeling that it is going to be hard as heck to get lower.

Well, I could babble on (who wants to work on a Friday??), but that's it here. Hope everyone has a great weekend. We have a going away party on Saturday (sad) and then on Sunday going out on a co-workers boat (first time I'll have been on a boat in FL - lived here for 9 years). Take care!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #23  
hottie in training

Wink DON'T QUIT!

I didn't write this, i got it from the WW site, but I thought it was pretty good.

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down
And you feel like the biggest failure in town;
When you want to give up just because you gave in
And forget all about being healthy and thin;
So what! You went over your points a bit;
So don't you quit!

It's a moment of truth,
It's an attitude change;
It's learning the skills to get back in your range;
It's telling yourself "You've done great up till now;
You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal;
You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace
If you summon the will to get back in the race;
But, often the strugglers, when losing their grip
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip
And learn too late when the damage is done
That the race wasn't over and they still could have won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow
But facing each challenge will help you to grow;
Success is failure turned inside out
The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.

When you're pushing to the brink,
Just refuse to submit;
If you bite it you write it...But don't you quit!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #24  

Default Excited

Wow, I just discovered the monthly challenge page and I think it is a great Idea.

Right now I am in transition. I have been living in a van in Europe for the last 4 and a half months, and have been on the road for a total of 5 and a half months. Tomorrow I fly to Chicago, meet my mom there, and we drive a little more, another 2000 miles back to Oregon. I live with the folks for a week or so while housing is arranged and then POW!!! I have a stable place to live for another half year!!!!! I tried to begin a fitness program while traveling, but it fell apart after 1.5 months. I think having no regular schedule contributed to this.

So my goals for september are:

1) decide on exersize plan for october
2) decide on eating plan (if I do one!)
2) keep thinking possitively about my weightloss and fitness prospects

So there it is, some reasonable and attainable goals!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:26 AM   #25  
hottie in training

i was getting this weekend so depressed about this weightloss/points/calories/diet thing. since i have been sick for about the last week, i didn't go to the gym that much. i wasn't interested in counting calories or anything like that. then i got a thing in the mail from WW to re-join. i would like to do it, but there are reasons why i don't want to:
#1 the cost-although i was able to afford it when i made much less money!
#2 i am afraid that i will just end up quitting it again.
i was thinking about it, & i don't think my bf would really care either way, he just wants me to be happY!

then i was reading a book called "it's not about food: end your obsession with food & weight" it is a good book, it is about getting away from being obsessed with losing weight & eating (which i feel i am a lot of the time!). i was reading a chapter where it talked about stopping dieting all together & only eating when you are truly hungry, eating enough of what you want & stopping when you are full. i thought i would really love to not be "dieting" all the time. so i was thinking over the weekend, back and forth-should i just stop all together with the points, calories, etc & just learn to eat naturally again? or should i do WW? but then what if i never ever lose weight? what if i stay the same forever? aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh! it is actually scary to not be on some kind of diet because that is what i am used to. know what i mean?

i really want to lose weight, but I don't want to be counting calories, points, and obsessing about it for the rest of my life. i don't want to get depressed every time i eat a doughnut!

i guess i am really confused about where to go from here. i was so depressed about it over the weekend. sunday i went to target to return something & i ended up spending $100 on new clothes-even though i keep saying i don't want to buy clothes until i lose weight. but shopping is my best anti-depressant! (actually i didn't spend all the $$ on me, i bought my nephew some things for his b-day & bought my bf a shirt).

i am seriously considering contacting a counselor or therapist for an outsiders opinion.

i would still want to keep working out-no matter what i was doing food wise. it really occurred to me over the weekend (i went to the gym on friday & saturday) that i really do love exercising. sure it is time consuming & sometimes i think 'oh my god, i can't do this!' but in the end i love it anyway!
and i would still want to post here because you guys are so great!

anyway, that's my two cents, happy monday!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #26  

Good morning!

I had some great emotional highs this week (free tour at the sanctuary generated almost $800!, and went out on a boat for the 1st time yesterday - it was a blast).

So, that eases the 1 pound gain I saw. That, and the fact that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out less fruits/vegetables + more carbs = no weight loss.

So I'm back in the saddle, and have some good foods planned for the week.

Monique - you don't know how many times I've related the concept of quitting drinking/smoking with losing weight! I tell DH that if I can lose weight while being phsyically required to face the food demons every day, he should at least have just as much determination to quit smoking. Not like he "needs" nicotine to live the same way that everyone needs food.

But yes, it would be nice if someone made a pill, or gum (like in Willy Wonka), that contained all of your calories/food groups/etc. and we could chew it and be done with it!

Jenn - I've been there (I think we all probably have), and I feel for you. Between Janaury and June I felt like a complete loser (and not in a good way). I thought I would never figure out a way to successfully lose weight again.

Maybe taking a break is what you need. Maybe you will find that you've learned enough about good food choices that you don't need to "diet".

I believe that therapists are a great tool for everyone to use. I've met some icky ones unfortunately, so I would suggest to anyone that they should have some specific qualifications/personality traits/styles that they insist from a therapist.

What has worked for me in the past is to concentrate on REALLY small things, like just getting 2 fruits/2 vegetables a day. That allowed me to maintain through some really bad periods, until I was ready to re-focus my energy.

OK, I hate it when I have a problem and all someone does is talk about how THEY would fix it (you're not me), but I guess it's the only way I feel I might be able to help from here - so I hope if anything my ramblings might spark some idea to lead you to something you're happy with.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, and is ready to challenge themselves this week. I am off to do some mid-day walking. Hope it's not too hot out there!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

My weekend went okay. I was recovering from my cold. And I think I am pretty much recovered. Yay! I didn't count calories or do exercise this weekend either Jenn....and I'm with you in that, that was a bit frustrating just for my mental state. I completely understand what y'all are saying about not wanting to do that forever, but then again for me in just such a short time, I find myself trying to figure out what everything has for calories. I can't imagine not figuring it out even when I stopped dieting.

I obviously didn't manage to do all 4 things any day this weekend, and my nephew comes home from the hospital today, but I have grand plans for exercise this afternoon....so if I succeed with that, I will have managed all 4 things today. My goal is to cut the grass this afternoon at my house. Which doesn't sound like much but doing that and then maybe take a mile or mile and a half walk....and I think that will be good exercise for today.

I went to Walmart today and got one of those exercise balls. I'm looking forward to using it. And some light wrist weights (about 3 lbs a piece). I'm sitting on my exercise ball right now. Shape had an article this last issue that talked about things you could do at work to increase your fitness. One of them was sitting on the exercise ball 30 minutes a day and building up to all day. I think it must help stomach muscles etc....with balance and all going on there. So I've started working on that.

Jenn--I would say with the WW, IF you think it will help then do it. And don't avoid it simply because you are afraid you may quit. If you fall off the wagon pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over. But if you decide to go the more natural route then I say go for that! Yes, it will take longer to lose the weight, but it probably will last better. Although I've always heard that weight watches teaches healthy eating habits.

This time around on my diet, since I've started writing to this board, I've not "forbidden" myself anything. And that's much healthier I think. My goal weight is what I weighed 4 years ago. And I got there with LOTS of exercise and a fitness plan that was reccomended by a dietician but forbid me from so many things.... ugh!

Anyway....allowing myself small indulgences so long as I'm within calorie range is working well...and doesn't make me feel as much like I'm dieting.

Monique, hang in there. And I know that you are right that you will lose those three pounds again before the end of the month. It does get frustrating doesn't it...when we binge....especially. Let me know if I can do anything to offer support.

FM- What wonderful news you had. The $800 and the boat ride! WOW! Impressive!! Glad to hear that your 1 lb gain didn't get to you that much and that you are back in the saddle. Sounds like you are handling it really well. And I think that you are right to reccomend the small goals to Jenn to get through the hard times. Baby steps, can get us where we are going when big steps seem to hard at times.

I will talk to all later! I hope that everyone's day goes great.

Betty
Old 09-09-2002, 04:15 PM   #28  
hottie in training

thanks for your messages guys.
i am still not sure what i want to do. i have to make decision soon because i think my join WW for 1/2 thing expires at the end of the month.
i think i could afford it, i mean i paid for it before when i was working part time in retail, i think i could afford now when i have a full time "real job".
something to motivate me (should anyway!) i bought this really cute skirt at target. it was like a plaid "school girl" skirt with a matching shirt. I had to buy an 11 (juniors size) i would love to be able to exchange for it 9.
isn't it weird how the sizes are so screwy. i have some pants/skirts that are 9/10 & fit fine, and then i have some that are 11/12 & they are super tight! wassup wit dis? although lately i am finding almost everything is getting tighter. aaauuuuggghhH!
FM-congrats on the $800. thanks for your advice, i guess baby steps are the way to go sometimes.
thanks for all your help guys, i guess i have some things to think about.
i printed out the posts, i am going to read over them & think about it.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:55 PM   #29  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

hello all

weekend did not go according to plan - a little too much drinky-drink saturday night let my defenses down and the pizza was too good!!

Well, I paid for it on Sunday - didn't do anything at all!!

But, today I was super-busy at work - which is a good thing and have finished my dinner - finished at about 1500 calories for the day - that is fantastic for me!!

Right after I am done posting this I am going to the gym - I definitely told my friend I would run the 1/2 marathon with her so I can't back out now! Got to get ready for that!

I totally know exactly what you all are talking about with the obsessiveness with dieting/exercise, etc...I am sure my fiance is sick of living with a walking food label

The only problem with this is that I care so much about it so when I don't meet my goals, it is even worse (on the ego especially)

Jenn - I know what you mean about sizes - 12/14 for me - it all depends on the type of clothing it is - loose fit, etc...it sucks!!

I can't wait to fit into a size 9!!

Come on guys - keep it up! Monday is almost over!

P.s. how much is WW - and, how many bonus points can you accumulate with exercise?
Old 09-10-2002, 08:47 AM   #30  

This sunburn is ruining my exercise routine! It feels horrible to wear a bra, let alone a sports bra. I got in a 20-minute walk yesterday, but today I am supposed to have my long walk, and I think I will only get another 20-minute one in.

Sigh. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I guess I will get some extra exercise tonight in that my house is trashed. With DH out helping a friend set up a kennel for a dog she rescued, I will just scrub to my heart's content.

I would have done some of this last night, but I went with DH to the friend's house because I've never been and she wanted me to meet her cats. She is a wonderful lady. She has lived one heck of a life. She works for a phone company, and has about 26 cats - she has rescued from dumpsters, construction sites, and mean owners.

There was one, a little siamese named Rita, who really struck my fancy. I am about 95% sure she is deaf, and she is not very human friendly yet. Our friend thinks she would benefit from a quieter environment.

If I were a betting a woman, I'd lay odds that if DH has to help longer than tonight, we'll end up with her.

Anyway, we didn't get home until after my bedtime - and I hadn't eaten yet! Luckily I had made some taco soup and frozen it, so that was a quick meal. I didn't get 2 vegetable servings in, but at least I didn't go over on carbs!

Monique - I know how frustrating this past month or so has been for you. I feel like I'm in the same situation - just seems like I can't get to the next step (or pound!). How many plateaus did you hit on your way down to your current weight? You have done an amazing thing with your weightloss so far. You are really an inspiration. I am really trying to tell myself right now that my body is adjusting to the weightloss so far, and no matter what I do diet-wise I just have to wait it out.

Betty - I love exercise balls! My cat popped mine. One exercise I would do that was part of my physical therapy for my back was to place the ball between my back and the wall, then do squats. The ball teaches your back to stay straight and steady, and it really lets you focus on the squat.

Jenn - I know you feel like you have to make a decision soon, but don't break a sweat over it (hehe). Although you have this 1/2 off coupon, you could join whenever you were ready. I bet they could give you some kind of deal if you brought the coupon in after it expires - they want your weekly $$.

I seem to remember that you've had goals that included trying to get out do stuff just for you. Might a "personal" day off, doing things you love and just getting some time to breath, help?

Lucky13 - pizza is a downfall for me as well. But it's good to hear that you rebounded rather well yesterday. Did you make it to the gym?

Well guys, I've had a litre of water now, so you can guess where I'm headed....have a good day!
Closed Thread