3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 20-Somethings

Gym Membership vs. Working out at home.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
19Deltawifey

I prefer to workout at a gym or walking outside. We have a treadmil in our house and I havent use it in a year. Im more motivated in the gym, I prefer working out at the gym by myself I feel like I get more accomplished when Im at the gym without a workout buddy. My advice would be to get a MP3 or something that plays music and hit the gym it puts you in your own little world. Good luck
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

FYI, just came across this: Goodbye workout ruts!: Score fresh fitness DVDs for free when you trade in old ones at SwapADVD.com.
140 by my birthday, November 26: Achieved 9/03
New goal: 135 by Halloween--Achieved 10/31!

Find grace in your strength, and strength in your grace.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #18

S/C/G: 317/317/140

Height: 5'3

I'm always torn on this issue. I feel more motivated when I'm at the gym but at the same time sometimes getting the motivation to get out the door to the gym is nonexistent. Then again working out at home can be thwarted because of the many distractions that are in my home. I guess in general it's more of a motivation problem versus which work out option is best for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

If it has to be one or the other I would say GYM! I love going to the gym with my husband... I try to work harder to keep up with him... plus I like it when he tells me a guy has checked me out while I was running... he he he I like being able to try out different machines but I am really into the treadmill and jogging- I like to lift weights a bit too-

I wish I had a treadmill or elliptical at home though- Sometimes I can't take the time it takes to get to the gym but could hop on for 20 minutes in between study breaks... We would get something for home too, but we don't have room for anything right now-

I think Ideally being able to do both would be the best... if you have the room in your house...

We pay $39 a month for both of us- (classes included) It is a college rate for a family membership- We didn't pay the start up costs because of a special.

I don't mind going by myself... There isn't much time for talking anyway- bring your ipod or whatever mp3 players and start sweating!

Last edited by akacutie : 12-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #20

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I think I'm the only person here that loves working out at home lol.
You're not the only one! I love freedom from paying for a gym , or travelling to it, dealing with the people, the germs. And not least, freedom from the TVs. Actually, the only thing I'd like a gym for is to use a sauna.

I run and walk. I do yoga. I can do bodyweight exercises. I bought some resistance bands. I've never been to much of an exercise video kind of person, but I'd like to try some dance instruction.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

from where I stand I like working out at a gym/

I mean I have bought an elliptical, bike, AND treadmill, and only have the treadmill left. I think seeing the other (skinny) girls work out motivates me to try harder, and go longer..

Working to lose this pregnancy weight

Love Lindsay- My weight loss blog
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #22

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

I totally prefer working out at home. I have a rower, a stationary bike, and a weight bench along with a Wii and a bunch of DVDs. I think that'll do for now, actually I think it kind of has to since I've got limited space and I have messed up feet and can't really do high impact stuff like ellipticals/treadmills even though I totally miss running/super fast walking. However, ideas for other low/non-impact cardio stuff would totally be appreciated

I tried the gym route twice - once at Women's Workout World (which I thought would be just women but wasn't and I really didn't like that) and once at the local park district gym (which was really nice, but a bit of a hike driving wise). A lot of the gyms in my area seem to be places to see and be seen where all the singles are mingling/oggling each other rather than working out and it's more of a status statement to belong to one so I don't think I'll be going that route again.

I have a self-consciousness issue because I have asthma and turn pretty red pretty fast while working out and I'd rather not have people betting on when I'm going to pass out (because I can assure you I won't ) so that was a check minus in the gym column. Also, I commute A LOT so time is totally limited. It's a lot easier and quicker for me to just roll out of bed, throw on some clothes and hit the next room for some 4am working out than pack everything for work, drive 20 minutes to the gym, workout, fix myself up for work, drive to the train station, etc.

Also, there is a certain ick factor involved with gyms in my opinion. Who knows who has used the machine before you. AND the ladies getting naked and prancing around the locker room totally creep me out.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #23

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

the gym memberships here range from $30-$50ish per month, per person. For me thats expensive.. but if I could afford it I would def. do it. luckily my school has a gym so i can workout there during the semester.

right now, since its intersession, i was looking into either getting a membership or a machine for my house.. those things are like $300!! on the cheap side. i figured it would be pretty high.

so i guess im sticking with DVDs until next semester. but anyway - i think you would really like a gym.. its uncomfortable at first (at least it was for me) but you'll get used to it & all the equipment would be awesome home workouts are really good too, but its much easier for me to plop down on the couch rather than finish whatever workout im doing.. & i cant do that very easily in the gym! ha!

Mini goal -

Ultimate goal -

Last edited by kuhrisuh : 12-02-2009 at 02:58 PM.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #24

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniania View Post
AND the ladies getting naked and prancing around the locker room totally creep me out.
i hear ya.. ive actually had women talk to me while they're standing there completely naked... awwwwkward.

Mini goal -

Ultimate goal -

kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #25
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I prefer the gym as well because I love the classes. I love the variety. At home I can never get into working out. My gym membership is 48 per month and you get two personal training sessions each year included childcare is also included AND its an all women gym!!!!! I love it

GOALS
1- 217 back to low-accomplished
2- 210 -Count down til onderland!!
3- 205/ 50lbs lost
4- 199 - Most important goal!!
5- 180- FINAL Goal

"Believe in yourself"
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #26

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I priced every gym I could find in my area and almost all of them cost at least 50 bucks a month, even the YMCA near my work is 62 dollars a month. The only gym I could find that was affordable for me is about 20 mins from my house which is pretty sad considering there are 10 gyms much closer than that to me.
Anyway if I ever find on that is affordable, I will be joining for sure I think the gym atmosphere is very motivating!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #27
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm totally a work out at home person myself. I have a treadmill, an elliptical trainer, a stationary bike, a kickboxing bag, assorted dumbbell, a squat cage & weight bench with barbell and weight set, a yoga mat and bricks, and a jumprope. I use various workouts from online, from exercise tv, from crossfit, from other other posters here, from classe I've taken, etc. I used to have a gym membership but I find I prefer my home garage gym. I've built it up over two years. I do prefer running outside to the treadmill.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I like both, but haven't been to a gym in a long time. During med school my hours were crazy, so I bought my own elliptical. Loved it and actually used it. Now during my internship, my hours are even crazier, but my apartment is smaller and the elliptical just didn't fit. So it sits, taken apart, at my mom's house. I miss it. There's an Anytime Fitness nearby, and even a treadmill and elliptical in the basement of my building. But since I'm at the hospital a lot, I feel bad leaving my dog to go to a gym. When the elliptical was right there in my place I didn't feel as bad.

april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #29

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

I've gotta work out at the gym. I've tried working out at home, and I just can't keep myself accountable. I'll do 5 sit-ups and then watch some Criminal Minds. But at the gym, I feel like if I slack off, #1 it wasn't worth my effort in driving over there, and #2 if anyone is secretly watching me, they'll think I'm a whimp (haha...that's my paranoia kickin' in). I just seem to get more accomplished at the gym...it just works better for me.

angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #30
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

wow guys, thanks for all the responses. I don't think I was really expecting this many...lol

I'm definitely liking the idea of a gym membership more and more...and maybe eventually if I can afford it, I'll buy a machine for home.

“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who really make it in this world are the ones who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can’t find them, they make them.”

DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.