Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #1  

Default 10 down 40 to go! + Tips

My name is Emilie and I am 20 years old. I have used this site as a resource for recipes and fast food info for a few years. Only recently have I cracked down on my weight problem after I returned home from a study abroad trip to Italy (The pasta! The cheese! The wine!) and found that at 5'7" I weighed 200 pounds. I have been in the 190 range for a couple of years but for some reason "200" shocked me. I decided that 200 pounds seemed like a nice round number to start dieting from and I set my long term goal to 50 pounds and my short term to 10.

So here I am, 20 days later and 10 pounds lighter, now the real struggle starts. So I decided to get on the forums and stay motivated... hopefully you'll be hearing a lot from me or else you'll know i'm on a backslide!

In the mean time, here are some tips that are working for me:

- Spend more money on food when you diet.

Since you can't eat high fat treats, spend the extra money on fresh fruits and veg, try new recipes and spend the time making good food you like.

- Treat yourself without using food.

Bubblebaths, manicures (at home or pro), a new (smaller) belt. You've heard this before!

- Don't deprive yourself BUT don't put yourself in situations you can't handle.

I live in New Jersey and I love diner coffee... and french toast, and cheese fries, the list goes on. So, guess what... I'm not going to the diner for a while!

Remember, it takes 6 weeks to form a habit (atleast that's what my mom tells me)! I hope it'll get easier after that!

Emilie

Starting weight: 200
Current weight: 190
Goal weight: 150
Total loss: 10!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:38 PM   #2  

Default Congrats!

Congrats on your 10 pound loss... that is awesome! And also thanks for the tips.. its always good to hear from other people who have been successful at losing weight.

I actually have lost 20 pound so far. I am so excited and amazed that I have come this far. I can not believe this. I am halfway to my goal weight.. and it sorta seems reachable

-Tanya
Old 07-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #3  

20 pounds! That's really great. How did you stay motivated after the initial weight loss? I lost 22 pounds when i first went to college (go figure) but I was eating so little that it was impossible to keep it up. This time it's going to be different!

Emilie
Old 07-21-2002, 05:37 PM   #4  

I stay motivated by looking in the mirror. I love the change I can see already.. and I cant wait to see what I will look like in the end. I feel better about myself.. and thats always good. Plus the compliments I am starting to get are really nice!

And now.. I know I can do it!

-Tanya
Old 07-22-2002, 11:43 AM   #5  

Emilie- I also live in New Jersey. I am also trying to lose 40 pounds. I have already lost 30 pounds. Tanya- I know what you mean about looking in the mirror and the compliments. Seeing the results makes it easier to stick to. Congratulations to you both on your weight loss so far!!
Heather
Old 07-22-2002, 12:09 PM   #6  

Hello! I am new to 3FC, and posting in a couple places to as I find my way around.

I'm 27 years old, currently 153, on my way from 176 to 128 (5'3"ish). (More personal info on a thread I started under "Buddy Up!")

I had one of those "moments" this morning and thought I'd share.

The scale didn't move this morning. It is Monday, official weigh-in day, and after 5 weeks of consistent losses (15 lbs in 5 weeks!), the scale read 153 again.

And I felt wonderful! You know why? I realized that keeping my weight the same for a whole week was just as much a part of the challenge as getting it to go down.

Some day, I will reach goal. At that point, the scale will stop moving down. But after that, if I don't watch it, it will just creep up again and I'll have to repeat the cycle.

Soo...my ultimate goal is to learn how to keep the scale from going up. Every time I see the scale read the same, instead of the usual "Well, at least it isn't a gain" feeling, I am going to congratulate myself on doing such a great job at "maintenance practice"!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #7  

Wow, that's a great weight loss attitude! I'm going to try to remember that on my crumbier days.

Another thing I try to remember when backsliding seems easy is how I will feel 2 months from now (on my 21st birthday) if i stay on my diet vs. if I gave up today. That really gets me out of the junk food induced hysteria I sometimes suffer from! Hahaha.

Emilie >'..'<
Old 07-24-2002, 07:55 AM   #8  

For all my touting of my great feelings on maintenance, I saw a 1 lb. loss yesterday and was estatic.

I take the lowest number I see from Sat-Tues as an official weigh-in for a few reasons:

1) The lower the number, the better the feeling, so why not make myself feel better?

2) I do about 20 or so hours of volunteering over the weekend, outside in the FL heat. No matter how much water I drink, I tend to see a little retention. So, Saturday's weight might be closer to the truth.

One of the tips mentioned was to give yourself non-food rewards. This was another "moment" for me. I had always loved to "treat" myself to a night of decedant food because of a good weight loss.

Now I realize that I need to just incorporate some decedant food into my lifestyle. There is no "treating" just "eating".

For every five pounds I lose, I have something I am going to buy for myself. Two more pounds, and I get a cheap CD player (whenever we move, DH takes about 8 months to set up the stereo, meanwhile I'm dying with out tunes!).

At 145, I get a massage/pedicure/manicure because that's a biggie. Except for my DH, no one at my work or volunteer position will have seen me that small (started both positions roughly 3 1/2 years ago).

So, I'm off to drink, drink, drink. h2o of course! Have a great day.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:25 AM   #9  

Congratulations on your 1 pound loss. I was stuck for so long at my weight loss that I get excited to see any sort of loss no matter how big or how small. I don't even go and "treat" myself. I'm so happy about losing finally that I just call everyone I'm close to and brag. I have never really been one to spend money on myself. I love spending money on my kids instead. Anyway, good luck. I'm off to get the kids cleaned up and ready to go.
Heather
Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 AM   #10  

Maybe I should spend money on my kids when I make a goal weight. Hmmm..scratching post or femur bone? Perhaps a playmate for the guniea pig (that would bring the total of my "kids" up to 8!!).

Seriously, I think it's a good thing to learn- how to spend money on yourself. Are you planning on a nice shopping spree on new clothes when you reach goal?

BTW, How much do you have to lose?

This last pound put me half way. 24 pounds gone, 24 more to go!!

Take care!
Old 07-24-2002, 12:57 PM   #11  

Default Congrats!

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco'sMom
Maybe I should spend money on my kids when I make a goal weight. Hmmm..scratching post or femur bone? Perhaps a playmate for the guniea pig (that would bring the total of my "kids" up to 8!!).

Seriously, I think it's a good thing to learn- how to spend money on yourself. Are you planning on a nice shopping spree on new clothes when you reach goal?

BTW, How much do you have to lose?

This last pound put me half way. 24 pounds gone, 24 more to go!!

Take care!
Congrats on making it halfway! Its all downhill from here, right?
I agree that its important to spend money on yourself, as well as your kids. I personally do not have kids.. but my mom always neglected to spend money on herself. It wasnt until she was older that she got to buy herself the things she needed and made her feel good.

So all you moms out there.. you deserve the best.. so treat yourself right!!!

-Tanya
Old 07-24-2002, 01:29 PM   #12  

Tanya - I have no 2 legged children either. Just 4 cats, 1 dog, 1 snake, and currently only 1 guniea pig (they are social, so DH keeps begging to get him a girlfriend). Oh yeah, and a husband. Who needs children with one of those??

"Frisco" is one of my cats, a Momma's boy through and through.

But I think it's important, mother, daughter, wife, or single, for us to think about what we really want/need and go for it! We all deserve it!

I hope to reach 128 by my next birthday (March), and then go wild shopping. I wear a skirt to work that I bought when I was in 6th grade!!
(Yes, I matured early, and yes, the skirt streches )

I actually hate shopping (hence the pre-teen wardrobe), but I think it will be sooo exciting to get my fashion-competent friends to get me dressed as cool as I feel.

And the fact that my 10-year high school reunion will be right around the corner just gives me extra incentive.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:09 PM   #13  

I know I should spend more money on myself, but I have too much fun shopping with my 5 yr old daughter!!! I have 40 left to lose myself before I reach my goal. I would like to get back to 160 and with my height and build that is a good goal. When I reach my goal I am going to go crazy buying new clothes and my fiance agreed to take me to the bahamas. That is what I decided I wanted to do when I will finally look decent in a bathing suit!!! I got on the scale the other day and it read 198. I was so excited because I have been over 200 for so long. Congrats Friscos mom on reaching you halfway point!!! That is a huge accomplishment.
Heather
Old 07-25-2002, 07:37 AM   #14  

Congrats on getting under 200 Heather!! That's awesome!

And the Bahamas, that is a great thing to look forward to!

Next year, along with my high school reunion and brother's graduation, I plan to take some vacation at my family's summer cottage in Northern WI.

Not as glamorous as the bahamas, but I was half-raised there and fell in love with the place. I haven't been able to get back more than a few days every couple of years since high school.

So, we each have trips to look forward to! When are you planning to make goal? If I give myself until next birthday, I only have to lose 1/2 pound a week. Very acheivable goal.

Have a great day!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:03 AM   #15  

Northern WI is a great place. I have been there and I loved it. My fiance refuses to go though. I was raised in Iowa and just moved to Jersey last year. The only state in the midwest he has been to is Iowa and so he is absolutely convinced that there is nothing out there anywhere!!! I am planning to make goal by next June. Every June we get an apartment on the Jersey shore for the month and I would love to go there next year looking good in a bathing suit! I think a Year is plenty of time to lose another 40 pounds.
See ya - Heather
Closed Thread