Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/215/150

Height: 5'2

Default Trying to make a lifestyle change in College

I'm becoming more aware each day that college is a hard place to try to get healthy. For one thing campus is crawling with unhealthy food, taco bell, burger king, several fried chicken places,and my personal favorite Starbucks are constantly calling my name. It doesn't help that I live on campus so I'm always here. I've literally resorted in leaving my money in my apartment (which is on the other side of campus from the food) so that I don't buy anything. I did that today and I literally felt physical pain at the fact that I couldn't buy anything. I could smell it and I saw all these other people having it and it just hurt. I asked myself how can that girl eat that and stay so thin but I can't. Ofcoarse the answer is probably that she doesn't eat every single day like I would. To make things worse I'm having trouble figuring out what to replace the fast food with. I can only take so many turkey sanwhiches and sliced apples. I'm starting to feel like lifestyle change= lifetime of deprevation. It doesn't help that I use fast food and sweets to improve my mood. An order of fries or a frappacino could turn my day around. Well for about 5 minutes. Even temporary pleasure was better than all day misery. There's also the fact that I'm broke, overwhelmed and exhausted. I'm in desperate need for a job and all I want to do is have a cookie to make me forget that. The lack of funds also contributes to my diet difficulties. A bag of fish sticks or pizza rolls is a lot cheaper than a well balanced meal. Fellow college students, tell me how you do it.
Elaine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Wow, seems just like me! I feel every ounce of your pain. We should be friends, do you have a facebook or something? And It drives me crazy to see girls eating cookies all the time at my college...thin girls! You totally can do this though!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #3  
Started 9/20/09

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'7"

Interesting.

I think I was lucky I didn't really have fast food ON campus.

College was a really great place for me to look at how I ate. I'm sure there are lots of programs that you could get involved in with weight/health stuff.

Check out the gym / health clinic area maybe?
mara11jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I was thinking when I was reading your post that it was the exact opposite for me... no wonder they call it the freshman 15!! I went to a private university and there were no fast food joints on campus. Our campus was pretty small (comparative to UC or something), and we only had our cafeteria. I ate normally in the beginning and then things just got boring for me. I also didn't have funds to eat elsewhere so I had no choice but the cafeteria food. You wouldn't believe how many salads I ate there.. I would put a bunch on it, pickle, olives, onions, bell peppers, etc. I didn't prefer it back then, but now I can see why I lost 15 instead of gaining it. I was eating better and walking everywhere.
Since you live on campus, if you don't have a meal plan for the cafe, then I suggest you get one. That way it's already planned for you what you get to choose from. Then you have to walk over there to eat every morning, evening, etc. You're also set to specific meal times to help regulate your eating. Also, the cafe never got mad when I took a piece of fruit with me... heck they even had take-out boxes!
I, like you, look at these thin people and get mad at how much or what they can eat and they're still thin. Like you said, they probably can eat out once a week and be fine, where if I eat out I want to eat out the next day too. I'm not too big on coffee, so I can't help you there. I consider myself lucky enough to get tummy aches if I drink it.
I just want to encourage you - there are always ways to eat better! And don't deny yourself that cookie, just remember to eat one.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I started my healthy lifestyle change while still in college... My roommate and I did it together and if you start to look at it... all that processed food ends up being a lot more expensive...Look for sales and cut back on your portions. When eating healthy you eat less therefore your food should last you longer. Also you should have access to your school gym... that saves you money right there. If you have any questions feel free to ask me... I know exactly what you are going through but it isnt as hard as it may seem. I lost fifty pounds my last semester of college.
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

"I asked myself how can that girl eat that and stay so thin but I can't."

Simply put: because she goes to the gym every morning at 6am 5 days a week, and you're right, it's not a daily habit but a rare treat to eat junk food.

I'm an alum but I still live in the town I went to college in and I've been using the university's gym, and sure enough, at 6am, it's fairly busy and it's mostly women doing cardio, and a lot of men downstairs lifting weights.

I do have a question: Why are you so miserable? I can totally understand being broke, overwhelmed and exhausted, and it sounds to me like you need EXERCISE! and healthy food! I find I'm in the worst moods when i don't exercise and when I eat crappy.

"A bag of fish sticks or pizza rolls is a lot cheaper than a well balanced meal."

It's not.

Go buy lunch meat and bread and some light mayo and you can eat for under $15 for a whole week (or more) of lunches.

You can get a pack of 10oz of deli-sliced turkey for $3.50. and a loaf of bread for $4. And a jar of light mayo will last you well over 2 months. It's just about whether or not you WANT to make that choice.

"Fellow college students, tell me how you do it."

Well I'm not in college but I live in a college town, and use the gym if they have one. I know that there are healthy options on campus, there were on mine. One place was a grill and they had grilled chicken sandwiches.

But honestly your best bet is to just eat all of your meals at home so you won't be tempted to eat at school. You need to get your mind off of food. Sure, turkey sandwiches can get boring, so mix them up, buy chipotle mayo or sprouts or tuna. I make a killer turkey sandwich, I toast the wheat bread and make two strips of low-fat turkey bacon and put that on along with a slice of provolone and deli-sliced turkey with a tad of light mayo.

It's effort vs convenience and losing weight isn't convenient. It takes a LOT of effort, and yes, serious life changes. But it doesn't come for free.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162.6/155.4/145

Height: 5'2"

Oh I have so much to say....its just making it readable and sensable.

First of all...before I start each day (the night before) I make, weigh out, and record my lunch for the school day (till about 4pm). Then I dont have to make choices at school such as healthy snack versus unhealthy snack because I have all my ON PLAN food for the day in my lunch bag. Make sure that you change up your lunch foods each day AND indentify the foods that you like to eat everyday. Everyday I bring 1 cup of granola (about 250 cal), but it takes me forever to eat it and it fills me up (and is also kinda sweet). Today for lunch/the day I had crackers and cheese, granola, an apple, strawberries, and sliced carrots and cucumber. Yesterday I had granola, brown beans heated in the microwave in the cafeteria, strawberries, and an orange. Classes really keep me on track cause they are 3 hours long each with a break at 1 1/2 hours in. I eat on each break and on lunch...and keep my apple in my car to eat on the way home so I dont raid my house when I get home.

I do eat in the cafeteria with my nursing friends who are eating delicious bad foods around me but I just focus on my lunch (this is what is important about keeping your lunch interesting and packing what you acually like to eat)! I also DO NOT BRING MONEY TO SCHOOL....or I do spend it (I leave it in my car). Starbucks temps me too but I bring my own coffee mug and my own tea bags and hot water at school is free....so I sip on plain lemon tea and that makes me feel better.

I am a "flyer shopper" and stock up on things like cheese, lunch meats, expensive stuff like that when and ONLY when it is on sale. I have a breadmaker to make my own bread too. ONLY buys fruits and veggies ON SALE...literally if oranges are the only thing on special that will be my fruit for the week. Carrots and green peppers are low cal and generally low cost. Brown rice is a good price too. AND ONLY BUY cereal on sale...its such a waste of money to buy it full price...grapes too. And buy your own teabags for school!!

I think that all the tips I have at the moment. Oh and on our lunch break me and another girl go for a walk around campus and talk about a certain class and kinda "walk and study". That helps to fit in exercise, NOT sit and eat in the cafeteria around all the yummy food, study, AND is good for stress management.

Good luck....

PS- What are you taking?? I am in the RN Nursing Program...3rd year.
Saffytaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I just started and I too live on campus. I cook for myself and constantly remind myself that that $5 drink at starbucks buys me an entire weeks worth of chicken or other essential. I only try to treat myself once a week... I'm a calorie counter and though I haven't had SIGNIFICANT loses like some people here... a diet without some of the food you love in small quantities should not be done. Learning to sanction what you eat--by either writing what you eat down and watching your portions is the most important thing...

Also, I'm a complete gym rat. Take advantage of the free gym... they may not be the most beautiful, but at least at my school it's free... which makes it easy and convenient. Scheduling exercising into your day is the hardest part...but, once it's routine, it's so easy! I love the gym in the bottom of my building!

I agree with saffytaffy and do many of the same things, actually!

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 09-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

As a 5th year uni student, I started my journey in my 4th year, so I also had to stop using the convenience of on campus food. Basically, make your food but make it yummy. Look up healthy recipes and make them in bulk- freeze lunches you can defrost the day before. Veggies are super cheap, so I've been having pretty much vegetarian lunches. Sometimes i throw in an egg to make it "delux" Think about what you want and change it- you want fish sticks? Get some cheap fish from your super market, maybe grill it or panfry it, add it to some salad (i love adding grated carrot to salad!) with a little olive oil and lemon juice (a really easy salad dressing to make), and pepper, maybe add some pine nuts to your salad, a touch of feta cheese if your plan allows it, delicious! And speedy! Not sure how well that would freeze, but you get the idea. Experiment, make your lunch exciting and new to try.

I never used the uni gym but definately look into it, as well as looking at clubs for fitness and fun.

Does your uni have a disabilities service? Throughout my uni time I have been employed as a note taker for the university disability service at uni, the pay is good and you're at uni anyway so its very convenient. You could end up being paid for going to your own lectures!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/215/150

Height: 5'2

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. Reading them made me realize what a lot of the problem is. lack of effort. I'm so used to just grabbing this and that on the run. The idea of planning and portion control just seems like so much work. But I do realize that weight loss is work. I actually have a fridge full of fruits and veggies. I frequently let them go bad in favor of less healthy things. Then I get mad at myself for wasting the money. I don't have a meal plan and my schools cafetria would just be temptation land anyway. As far as shopping goes, I really just suck at it. I spent $70 the other night on nothing. Saffytaffy I will definately be taking you advice on future trips to the super market. My school actually has a really nice gym. I've been getting there at least once a week but I need so much more. Since I live right here I think I'll start going in the mornings. I just have to get enough sleep the night before. I'm humbled by the realization that my circumstances aren't really the problem. I have to actually do some work to make a lifestyle change. I'm sooo happy I joined this commuinty because I don't have anyone in my life to tell me these things. They just say eat less and exercise more with no details. Thanks again ladies.
Oh and I'm a senior Social Studies education major at a small college in Louisiana.
Elaine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #11  
This is not a test.

:O Making eating plans is fun! Do you have an eating plan in mind? I'm a calorie counter, here's some of my recipes (i think they are pretty inexpensive but i havent actually calculated the cost)

Baked Potato (Semi stolen from weight watchers ) 260 cal

-potato
-some grated cheese
-fresh or dried herbs

Cook your potato (i usually microwave mine). Scoop out the potato, mix with cheese and herbs, put back into the skin/shell

Green Curry 324 cal

-2 chicken thighs
-1/4 cup brown rice
-1 tsp green curry paste (or as much as you like depending on how hot you want it)
-veggies if you want (like cauliflower)
-light coconut milk (not sure exactly how much i use, around half a small skinny can that we have here, prob around 1/4 cup?)

Cut chicken into chunks, cook in pan. Mix your coconut milk, around 1/2 cup water and curry paste in a cup, then add to the chicken. Add your veggies (if they are frozen you can start cooking them with your chicken). Turn heat down and simmer for a while. Serve on your rice (note that brown rice should be started to cook before you start the chicken, can take around 25 mins on the stove top)

Beef Stir Fry 513 cal

-beef (any cut, doesnt have to be precut into stir fry strips, what ever is cheap, cut off the fat though)
-vegetables (what ever you want, carrots, brocolli, etc.)
-1/4 cup brown rice
-around 1 table spoon soy sauce
- 1tsp sesame oil
-1 tsp sesame seeds

Cut the meat into strips for stir frying, add to your pan with the vegetables and cook. Mix up your sauce, add some water to it to make more of it if needed. Add to the pan, simmer for a while. Serve on your rice and garnish with sesame seeds.

I hope this helps! Dont be afraid to play around with ingredients!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/248/120

I'm also at school, and I agree that it's really really hard to diet on campus. For one, although there are no fast food places at my school besides Subway, we're rated the number 4 or 5 best food in the nation, so every dining place might as well be a fast food joint. There is a school-run convinience store, bakery, grill, hot cocoa bar, gelato bar, and quesedilla/wrap station with just a five minute walk from my room, and all these places are open really really late. It's been really hard not to go completely crazy, and eventuallly a couple weeks ago I gave in, bought lots and lots of food, and I'm now at a deficit of a 100 meal points from where I should be.
So what I decided to was stop using my meal points completely for the rest of September. I realized that until I had a very, very good plan for controlling my eating habits, I wouldn't be able to walk into the bakery or the grill and just get a salad when there were cookies/fried foods galore and they don't even cost "real money." It's been going really well...I went to Target a few days ago and I bought cereal and popcorn and granola bars for my room, and now I'm pretty much just eating that unless one of the student groups I'm in buys us dinner. It feels really good to be free of the power that the dining areas here held over me. It was an extremely uncomfortable feeling to be stopping in the same places buying ridiculous amounts of food every single day. Obviously, I can't avoid the dining halls forever, but I am going to use the rest of this period to reevaluate what I can and can't eat, how much I should eat, etc. so that I never end up bingeing like that again, because it was just really bad...I had lost 3 pounds since I'd been at college, and after the binge I was like 4 over my original weight. So for me it's really about taking a break from all the food, looking over your diet, and trying to start again. Hope this helped!
yazmataz329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

I worked full time, went to school full time, had a pretty lively social life and I still managed to go to the gym almost everyday. You fit it in where you can however I found it to be the best when I went in the morning...yes you have to get up earlier but you will be so happy you did... In the end it doesnt take away from anything else because it was before you usually even started your day. Also the gym in the morning sets your mood for the whole day and you feel so much better. When you wait all day to go you find more excuses for why you dont need to go or why you cant go.
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #14  
This is not a test.

I just found this article in my inbox on how to save money and eat healthy, might be of some use too

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...ampaign=090922
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #15  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 181/179.6/140

Height: 5' 7"

Take advantage of the gym while you can! I just recently got out into the "real world" and am really missing all of the perks of our gym back at school - namely, it was included in our tuition and I didn't have to wave goodbye to at least $29 every month!

I would also recommend the dining hall - I couldn't cook much in my dorm room in college so I really didn't have too many alternatives, but I would usually eat breakfast in my room (yogurt, granola, etc.) and then do lunch and/or dinner at the dining hall - I ate so much better just because of the variety it offered - a full salad bar! Then one night was mixed veggies, next night was corn on the cob, the night after it was a sweet potato - basically things that I wouldn't have put the effort into if I was cooking for myself at the time. Yes, there were tubs of ice cream and cookies there but I limited those to a certain day of the week/month or 1 cookie after a really healthy dinner and I was satisfied. It's worth a shot - if you really want to make the right choices in a dining hall you will! Good luck!
blueiris6 is offline   Reply With Quote