Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Arrow What do you spend more time on weights or cardio?

I know its good to do both, I think I have been doing weights about twice a week for about 30 mins each session. I had a personal training session at the gym I joined so I have been keeping my records. I usually do my weights before cardio and so far it seems that it works well. After weights I usually take a group workout class and breaking a sweat is an under statement once I have already done weights. Just wondering what you guys are doing and how is it working for you?
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I do tons more cardio.

I try to do 45 minutes to an hour per day of cardio, and weights 2-3 times a week. When I do weights it usually only takes me 20 minutes to work through the circuit (I only do upper body/core, no legs). It also depends on my schedule if I do weights before/after cardio. Today I'm taking a spin class at 6:30. If I get to the gym by 6, I'll do weights before. If not, I'll do them after. I like to work my core after cardio/weights, but that's only because I do it near the stretching mats.

stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I do basically the same amount of both...
1 hour of cardio before 1 hour of weight lifting... 6 days a week.
I actually think the weight is more important for a long term weight loss, since it will build muscles and therefore make your metabolism higher.
After I get to my goal I want focus on weight training, but I'll keep my cardio, only less of it though...
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Cardio cardio cardio.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/166/150

Height: 5'11"

I definitely do more cardio, though I KNOW I should lift weights more. I agree with belezura that in the long run, especially for women, I think weight training might be more important. I think I tend towards cardio because it isn't as scary. It's pretty easy to figure out what I'm supposed to do on the treadmill/elliptical/whatever, but the weights are intimidating!
PiedPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #6  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I do more cardio, but that's just personal preference bc I try to do stuff that I enjoy and lifting is such a chore for me. Some people love it and some ppl find it at least to be worth the chore aspect of it.

I've heard that doing weights first is good, bc after cardio, your muscles have already used all their glycogen stores. But I've also heard after is better; before just seemed to make more sense to me.

Strengthening your big muscles probably is more important for weight loss rather than doing a million light-weight reps on your arms...you're not going to build much calorie burning muscle tissue that way, so if it's your goal to increase your fat-burning engine, I would probably spend more time on legs/core or at least use big weights on my upper body.

Also, quality is more important than quantity.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

I do this: www.crossfit.com 4 times per week.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/162/149

Height: 5'7''

i do 45 mins cardio and 45 mins weights/abs everyday...although i also walk 6 mi round trip to work everyday, so i guess that puts cardio a little over the top, but when im at the gym, its dead even
goodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Definitely cardio... but I basically just run for my work outs. I'd like to incorporate more strength training, though.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #10  
banned

IMO weight lifting is way over rated for losing weight. Extra muscle mass does burn more calories but so few that it makes little different. Also muscle is "heavier" and can actually make the scale go up. Weight trainging is good for toning but not for the scale.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/166/150

Height: 5'11"

I think the amount of weight training that most of us are doing (ie not bodybuilding level) means that muscle growth will cause relatively negligible increases on the scale. I've read that the average person could gain about 5 pounds of muscle mass over almost 3 months of training. Over that extended time period if you're also losing fat, its probably unlikely that the scale would actually go up.
PiedPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

PiedPiper I agree with you 100%.
And I would disagree with benchmarkman when she says: “Extra muscle mass does burn more calories but so few that it makes little different”.
Even if the muscle burns a minimum more calories it will be a 24/7 effect. Let’s assume if you build x lbs of muscle you will burn only 10 cal/day only. If you if you think of a week 7x10=70 or month 30x10=300 and so on at the end you will be burning a lot calories just by leaving and having the muscle.
I think that is great!!!! It is extra calorie burn without any extra activities... How awesome is that???
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #13  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I do more cardio, b/c as forestroad stated before, I try to do things that I want and love to do.
I used to do the 30 Day shred, and I HATED it. I had to make myself do it every day. If its something I don't enjoy to do, i can't do it for long.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #14  
banned

Yes, and those 5lbs of extra mass do absouletly nothing for losing weight. That would burn like 15 calories more per day. Not enough to make a difference in weight lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
I think the amount of weight training that most of us are doing (ie not bodybuilding level) means that muscle growth will cause relatively negligible increases on the scale. I've read that the average person could gain about 5 pounds of muscle mass over almost 3 months of training. Over that extended time period if you're also losing fat, its probably unlikely that the scale would actually go up.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #15  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I like doing both, I think I do more cardio but I like the way the weights/cardio combo makes me feel. I sweat way more and I can tell I have actually worked myself to the limits. I do understand what a lot of you mean though because group workout classes are so much fun to me. I get bored with the treadmill and I had a session with a personal trainer that comes with my gym membership so she gave me a pretty decent weight program for toning. I know cardio helps with toning but I also want the assistance of the weights because as bad as I want to lose I want to try my hardest to avoid flab......lol
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote